Phantom 4 Poor Video Quality - Lemon?

Reaction score
I've been testing my Phantom 4 for the last 2 weeks, and all I can conclude is I must have a 'lemon' or bad copy of the camera. I hope.

For context, yes I have been using DJI Phantoms since model one on up to the Phantom 3 Pro, so I am very well versed on the settings, flight, and expected quality.

The footage I am getting looks very soft, pastel-like, with little detail. The colors are best described as 'smudgy'.

I have tested footage on the full gamut of sharpness settings and color modes, including my default DLOG mode and post-processing, however the problem remains...

Footage on my previous Phantom 3 Pro was outstanding. I do not still have it currently to film side by side comparisons, but my Phantom 4 video quality seems like a big step backwards.

I haven't read about a widespread issue or complaints, has anyone else has issues like this? Look at the screen captures, especially in foliage or grass, it looks like crap.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2016-03-29-at-7.43.04-AM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2016-03-29-at-7.43.04-AM.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 3,080
  • Screen-Shot-2016-03-29-at-7.44.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2016-03-29-at-7.44.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 3,004
  • Screen-Shot-2016-03-29-at-7.45.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2016-03-29-at-7.45.jpg
    808 KB · Views: 3,003
Reactions: Rayx
might be a daft question but have you turned the soft 3d off?
and ive noticed that auto never gets the correct shutter v`s iso so manual op best
and make sure Ev set to 0 and work from there.
Supose we all like things different, but too much iso in your images for me ;)
whats the iso @ / Shutter @ and what fps you using?

Last edited:
Kinda sounds like RAW video setting.

might be a daft question but have you turned the soft 3d off?
and ive noticed that auto never gets the correct shutter v`s iso so manual op best
and make sure Ev set to 0 and work from there.
Supose we all like things different, but too much iso in your images for me ;)
whats the iso @ / Shutter @ and what fps you using?
The softness exists whether it's in a standard mode or DLOG. There's not enough raw data to even sharpen properly in post.

These are taken from ISO 100, 1/50 shutter, 4k 24fps.

It's compressed a lot, but not that bad considering this is not a pro quality camera, this will make decent quality videos, for youtube/web uses, unless you are planning to use the footage for cinema screening, i believe its fine...

The softness exists whether it's in a standard mode or DLOG. There's not enough raw data to even sharpen properly in post.

These are taken from ISO 100, 1/50 shutter, 4k 24fps.
and the 3d filter is off? I had propbs when it was on and also had to use Nd filters

Your right in that the camera on the p4 is more cini like but the p3 was too sharp at times and very bad density n focus blur in all 4 corners..
The p4 is an improvement for me but not as bad as yours... but what can we expect from a small 20mm camera . and change is ment to be a good thing ;)

It's compressed a lot, but not that bad considering this is not a pro quality camera, this will make decent quality videos, for youtube/web uses, unless you are planning to use the footage for cinema screening, i believe its fine...
Not very helpful.
and the 3d filter is off? I had propbs when it was on and also had to use Nd filters
What 3d filter? No idea what you're talking about. As for lens filters, its been tested with the stock UV, as well as multiple DJI ND and Polar ND filters, doesn't matter.

For all you people saying "well, what can you expect for not a professional camera", that's not really helpful or accurate. I know what it should look like. If I can shoot this on the P3 Pro (
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
), and the P4 is supposed to be an improvement, then I have to assume something is wrong.

Are you guys saying your P4 footage looks that smudgy as well?

Not very helpful.

What 3d filter? No idea what you're talking about. As for lens filters, its been tested with the stock UV, as well as multiple DJI ND and Polar ND filters, doesn't matter.

For all you people saying "well, what can you expect for not a professional camera", that's not really helpful or accurate. I know what it should look like. If I can shoot this on the P3 Pro (
), and the P4 is supposed to be an improvement, then I have to assume something is wrong.

Are you guys saying your P4 footage looks that smudgy as well?
look in the camera tools on the go app and 3d low noise filter is on by auto, its a software filter
just below the zebra setting.. its only an idea and if you think im not trying to help then sorry sir

Last edited:
Reactions: peterepeat69
Of the 4 P3Ps I had, the first was best and I sent #2 & 3 back with out of focus cameras. I sent back my first 2 P2Vs too. My P4 is much nicer than any P3P even with the same bitrate. Are you getting approx 60 Mbps?

I've been testing my Phantom 4 for the last 2 weeks, and all I can conclude is I must have a 'lemon' or bad copy of the camera. I hope.

For context, yes I have been using DJI Phantoms since model one on up to the Phantom 3 Pro, so I am very well versed on the settings, flight, and expected quality.

The footage I am getting looks very soft, pastel-like, with little detail. The colors are best described as 'smudgy'.

I have tested footage on the full gamut of sharpness settings and color modes, including my default DLOG mode and post-processing, however the problem remains...

Footage on my previous Phantom 3 Pro was outstanding. I do not still have it currently to film side by side comparisons, but my Phantom 4 video quality seems like a big step backwards.

I haven't read about a widespread issue or complaints, has anyone else has issues like this? Look at the screen captures, especially in foliage or grass, it looks like crap.

Your style settings. Have you played with them at all? In order to not get really bad aliasing and moire with the P3X cameras, you had to tweak the style settings to make it less sharp or you would get a TON of aliasing on roof tops and what not. Also don't forget that the P3 and P4 shoot naturally warm so you need to adjust for that.

Anyway, I would bet that you used your old settings from the P3 but they changed the default settings and it does not need to be tweaked as much (I can't tell you exactly how to set yours because I don't know what you are going for but whatever you don't like, go the opposite direction). People don't pay enough attention to the style settings on the P3 or P4. A lot of people set it once and think that's the right setting. Change these around a little and keep playing with it until you get your desired look. Your images DEFINITELY need some work both pre and post but from a quick glance, I don't think it's a broken camera.

Here are the settings I'm suggesting you play around with.

Now this is the old P3 app, but it's in the same place, the menu above the camera settings.

The triangle is COLOR, the circle is CONTRAST and the gradient rectangle is SATURATION. Color of course is just what your would think. Contrast is a bit hard to define but what it means in video usually is how far your blacks and whites can get away from each other. The higher the contrast, the whiter your whites can get, and the darker your darks can get without crusing them. The rectangular gradient is SATURATION. Saturation I used to have trouble explaining to people and one day it clicked. I was a lab instructor at USC for a couple years a while ago and the kids never knew what Saturation is and I always found it hard to explain until one day I said its "The Volume of Color". It's a perfect description. Now they made changes on the P3 and made the necessary adjustments from a few months ago, standard and now you have to search for your right settings again. It's almost annoying because they are quite different and like most cameras it has it's own personality and they changed it. You might be going for too much of a blur look if you are looking for crisp. It's all in the "Style Settings". The ISO, Shutter, and things like that are a piece of piss compared to figuring out your proper style settings. Don't watch the youtube videos telling you how to set it because thee is no HOW to set it. Play with it until you get what you want.

imageuploadedbyphantompilots-dji-phantom-forum1444664669-316807-jpg.33331

I found this awesome video that if nothing else will show you how everything plays off of each other.

Now, I am going to talk about Tom again because people like him because he has a fancy video and says stuff like he knows what he's talking about but this guy here has ZERO subscibers and an absolutely BEAUTIFUL and artful and truthful video on proper setting for both pre and post setting and CC.

If you want to see if you can get these looks using the custom setting he's laid out, you should be able to bring it into a color corrector like Resolve, Light Room if you're lazy (like me), PhotoShop, or even After Effects or Premiere. You MUST have access to an HSL or 3 wheel color corrector for post.

Everyone should watch this video. It's got nearly every custom style setting you need for your P4 in this video.

EDIT: After watching his video a couple more times, you cam see he pulled the sharpness back -2 which still leaves him pretty sharp. If he left it at zero he would have massive moire an aliasing on that fence and those moving leaves and he over compensated the color correction a little bit I think on the saturation which is a common trick to cover up artifacts. It's not as perfect as it looked the first time but the guy says it's his first aerial videos which if so, he knows a lot about photography in general. Also, the video does a great job of showing why we want to use D-Log so that you'll have a flat color gambit with which to choose from in post which he did a more than decent post on. I am wholly impressed if that's his first drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: cstout
It's simple newer technology China likes to save on costs, so if the camera isn't as good you know why, cash saving!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What do you use to colour correct?

Divinci Resolve with a full desk but you shouldn't think of using that if you are asking me. They do make a desktop version but Adobe Light Room would be good, or PhotoShop, or any of the editing software. I actually suggest the editing software because it's one less export meaning one loss generation loss.

I have photoshop, your saying photoshop does video?

Actually, yes you can but I was thinking of stills. It's not optimal. What editing program are you using? Most prosumer editing software have decent to really good color correction.

Actually, yes you can but I was thinking of stills. It's not optimal. What editing program are you using? Most prosumer editing software have decent to really good color correction.

I don't use any yet, but I guess I need advice on what to use, photoshop sounds good as I already have it, I'd like a cheap quick editor just to bring out the colours, nothing rocket science.

I don't use any yet, but I guess I need advice on what to use, photoshop sounds good as I already have it, I'd like a cheap quick editor just to bring out the colours, nothing rocket science.

Sent from my iPad using Phantom Pilots mobile app
There are methods to color correct video with PS but you don't want to do that. Since you are in the Adobe ecosystem, might as well use Premiere. It's a fine editor and has an excellent color correction mode. I would use the Adobe CC. If you can figure out a way to make yourself a student you can get it at a cut-throat rate and get the whole suite,

Also, I'm not sure of this, but Resolve (which has a steeper learning curve) might give away their desktop software. Can't remember. They make their money off of their expensive consoles so they want people to get hooked on the Resolve software. Resolve is the best by a long shot IMO.

Ok, so you want to see some crappy footage and weird anomalies? Check this out. This is straight from the drone.

Yes, super fast micro SD card. Yes, 3d noise filter is OFF (which btw, is a weird glitchy addition that would only even show up in the menu after I do an app restart with gear powered up).

When it hits the shadows, it's super noisy, once shadows fill the frame, it starts pulsing noise.

Settings are on manual, 1/50s, 100 ISO. D-LOG setting.
Dont get me wron alex... as some cameras may have problems.. but the quality of my p4 is good but i do agree that its lots of messing to get it how you want it and suffers from colour loss in a bad way that cant even be edited in post.. so yes I agree that the p3 camera is better in lots of ways but im sure it can be fixed in a firmware update.. i hope.
I will have access to another P4 tomorrow and im going to compare that to the P4 i have now as im now starting to hear other people have different camera problems

There are methods to color correct video with PS but you don't want to do that. Since you are in the Adobe ecosystem, might as well use Premiere. It's a fine editor and has an excellent color correction mode. I would use the Adobe CC. If you can figure out a way to make yourself a student you can get it at a cut-throat rate and get the whole suite,

Also, I'm not sure of this, but Resolve (which has a steeper learning curve) might give away their desktop software. Can't remember. They make their money off of their expensive consoles so they want people to get hooked on the Resolve software. Resolve is the best by a long shot IMO.

Cheers ok will check out resolve thanks for the info, look forward to better images that's for sure

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jussaguy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers