Phantom 4 'no cellular' option

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry for another thread so quickly since my last one (please forgive me as I'm a total beginner with all of this, but trying to learn what I can from experienced pros like you guys) but I have a slight concern regarding using my iPad as the monitor on my Phantom 4 when I purchase it in the near future.

I currently have an iPad Pro (9.7-inch wifi only model) and I've seen online that everyone seems to use their Phantom 4 with an iPad that has a cellular connection. Do I need to have an iPad with a SIM card and cellular plan to use the Phantom 4? Or can I still fly the drone with my iPad Pro without a cellular plan?

Thanks,

Gari.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

You do not need any cellular or wifi connection with your Ipad to fly with the Phantom. I use my Ipad Mini 2 with no connection at all. The cellular connection will give you access to a couple of more features within the Go App, such as dynamically updating your Home point.

You don't need cellular, in fact it's better to not have cellular, or Wifi/Bluetooth turned on, because it can create interferences.

You can fly the P4 just fine with no cellular service.

You will loose the ability to use the follow me mode that relies on a GPS signal. You also will not be able to download maps to the DJI Go app when out in the area to be flown in unless you can connect to a WiFi signal in that area.

What one can do though to work around this is to open the Maps App on the device and zoom in to the area that one plans to fly before visiting that area. The maps will be pulled down via the WiFi service and "cached" on the device so they may be displayed when at the place you are going to fly.

The "cache" stays active for a specific period of time and estimates range from days to weeks and beyond.

You don't need cellular, in fact it's better to not have cellular, or Wifi/Bluetooth turned on, because it can create interferences.

No. Not using Wi-Fi is good, cellular makes no difference at all. If anything, it's worse to not have cellular, as you might not have GPS (depending on tablet model), and you have to cache maps in advance.

Thank you for all the replies, guys. Fantastic news as it means I don't have to shell out on a new bloody iPad lol.

Saying that, I'll probably buy an older iPad Mini in the future as I can imagine that using a full-size iPad as the monitor would feel quite bulky and for travel with the drone, a mini would be the better option I feel.

Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

M
Thank you for all the replies, guys. Fantastic news as it means I don't have to shell out on a new bloody iPad lol.

Saying that, I'll probably buy an older iPad Mini in the future as I can imagine that using a full-size iPad as the monitor would feel quite bulky and for travel with the drone, a mini would be the better option I feel.

Make sure it's at least an Ipad Mini 2 as the original Ipad Mini is not supported.

Wait a minute. Do not confuse cellular servive with cellular capability.
The reason you have heard that you need cellular capability on iPads is the Apple, unlike other manufacturers, combines cellular and GPS capability on the same element. So you need cellular capability on your iPad in order to have GPS. Hopes this clarifies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik