Phantom 4 Glitches while Hovering

Reaction score
I just upgraded my Phantom 3 Pro to the New Phantom 4 today. After updating all Firmware and setting up some menu option to my liking this morning, I took my P4 out for its first flight. I was very disapointed to say at the least!
Take-off was executed with no problems, but as I ascended to about 25' feet and brought it to a steady hover, my P4 Glitched for just a very brief moment. It would pitch left and right very dramatically, then went into a steady hover. This behavior repeated throughout my two 20 minute flights. Again, when it glitches, it is only for 1 second, then immediately falls into a perfect hover.
I then repeated the IMU & Compass Calibration using a fresh new battery thinking this could be the problem, but no such luck. Again, my P4 would violently pitch left and right for a brief moment every couple of minutes.
Has anyone ever experienced this kind of behavior with their P4. Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated!

Welcome!

At 25 feet you are within VPS operation range (low cameras). If not already done you might want calibrate VPS with DJI Assistant.

A quick test before would be to TEMP disable VPS in GO app and behavior should not happen - or flight higher than VPS range operation.

Note user manual does mention important information to know about VPS, please read!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
I will perform the VPS & Stick calibration first as suggested by Remyheli and schlepprock. If I see no improvement, I will then temporarily disable the VPS. Will keep you all posted!

UPDATE:
I was unable to disable the VPS in the DJI Go 4 App like Remyheli suggested, nor was I able to find any documentation on how to disable. But, I did get my P4 in the air today after calibrating the VPS and Stick. I climbed to an altitude of 100' feet resulting in the same behavior as stated in my earlier post. The increased altitude should eliminate any suggestion of VPS malfunction. The P4 continued to give a quick Twitch (Pitch) to the right & left, then fall immediately into a perfect hover.
I should also mention that I connected the P4 to DJI Assistant 2 and Restored all settings and Firmware. I then reinstalled the latest driver.
Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31