Phantom 4 gimbal crooked

Reaction score
My Phantom 4's camera tilts to the left quite a bit when powered off. It appears that the entire gimbal mount is coming out of the housing crooked in this direction. I don't think this is normal, is it? The camera rights itself when powered on but appears very slightly off center in the same direction. In operation, it functions OK but on some videos, I can see the right hub and propeller which is in this same direction. The other propeller does not show ever. I tried to post a picture of the tilt but apparently it went somewhere else. Anyway, has anyone experienced this or does anyone know the cause and possible correction?

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

Attachments

• Phantom camera tilt.JPG
    Phantom camera tilt.JPG
    675.6 KB · Views: 415
Actually it tilts to the right when the drone is facing away. Sorry!
Jim
HI does a Gimble calibration do anything ,all I can think of since it not accident damage,for the record I always got my blades in vidios because the way it tilts ,if I don't want props in shot I have to be going pretty slow,:)

its normal at power off. At least mine looks the same way and is just fine. Did you turn on the grid and compare it to the horizon when flying? If its still tilted when doing this have you tried to manually adjust gimbal while in flight?

HI does a Gimble calibration do anything ,all I can think of since it not accident damage,for the record I always got my blades in vidios because the way it tilts ,if I don't want props in shot I have to be going pretty slow,:)
Yes, I tried a gimbal calibration and did not notice any difference.
Thanks,
Jim

its normal at power off. At least mine looks the same way and is just fine. Did you turn on the grid and compare it to the horizon when flying? If its still tilted when doing this have you tried to manually adjust gimbal while in flight?
Yes, I fly with the grid on and the horizon lines up fine. Guess it is just my imagination. I'll keep watching it and see if it gets worse.
Thanks all for posting
Jim
WA5TEF

Hi Jim, how you're doing?

Hold on, your camera is not stock? Is that black ring polarizing or ND filter?

Tilting a bit without motors is ok as it's the ribbon cable applying some lateral force. Then it should not fall and face down like your picture IF stock. I can share mine if you want, no probs at all.

Last edited:
Thanks Remy, yes that is man ND filter. I replaced the unit attached with that one. Supposed to be the same weight. I'll test it without the filter.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: RémyHeli
When you power off your drone it is most likely that the gimbal on a p4 will tilt to the right because it is where the motor is located.

I park this way let's say for one hour for ribbon cable to get neutral (note motors are solving anyway when enabled)
1a69614818fcd584cb78c149940f611b.jpg

Then it goes like this, almost perfect but overkill and it's just to see everything is in balance - you set in this position with hands and should stay in place as shown - ... after some time ribbon does naturally return flat so this has to be done right away.

5e27e69022cc631f837b5433414474c3.jpg

Last edited:
With this test I know my camera is just perfect. Rather thinking about motors and bearings than overall balance why doesn't change by itself.

Then if a shake the drone it goes like this but nothing to worry. See: no cheating here :)

So now you got real life reference for comparison I think. Showing facts.

2cc9af6ee1486cc1f4476c318776b527.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Remi, that is just the way mine does. So, not to worry huh? Guess I'll just forget about it and enjoy flying. I mostly now fly Litchi waypoint missions. I make them up on my desktop computer in Mission Hub and they transfer straight to my iPad that I fly with. Sure makes it easy to design various routes and make changes and watch the distance and time. I am about to lly one that will last about 21 minutes which will be my longest yet. The last leg is over a plowed field so it will be easy access should it run out of battery and land. If you have not tried Litchi, you should. It is great!
Thanks again for your excellent pictures and posting.
Jim
WA5TEF

Reactions: RémyHeli

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20