Phantom 4 GEO questions/concern

Reaction score
I work with a rural community college that has its own runway for its aviation curriculum. We are in the process of expanding the curriculum and using the runway to include certification courses for small drones based on the upcoming changes proposed by the FAA rule changes and/or Congressional legislation addressing drone use. The county airport (about 7 miles away and is lightly used) is very willing to help with developing the curricula for drone use and is interested in allowing drone use on the property ... within limits. I'm seriously considering purchasing a couple of P4s for the classes but am concerned with DJI's geo fencing limitations. Can the limitations be easily lifted so we can use the P4s at the college or the county airport? Someone brought an Inspire to the college a few months back to do a demonstration and it wouldn't start apparently due to the 'fencing' . Obviously, I don't want to purchase a DJI product if we can't use it because of the geofencing. Any practical experience/anecdotes or direction for more information would be greatly appreciated.

If you're in the US, the NFZ starts at 5 miles. If you're in class A airspace, which it sounds unlikely in your case, you'll need to self-authorize, which will allow you to fly! Check out the GEO maps on DJI's website.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: callofthewild
If you're in the US, the NFZ starts at 5 miles. If you're in class A airspace, which it sounds unlikely in your case, you'll need to self-authorize, which will allow you to fly! Check out the GEO maps on DJI's website.

And by "class A airspace", you mean DJI's definition of class A which is totally different to FAA (and other regulatory bodies) classifications.

Errr, either. I noticed DJI made the SFO area an enhanced warning zone. But you'd need to call SFO tower regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/unlock

Take a look at that page, just look at your area, and if it's red, then you can't take off. If it's yellow, you need to unlock it with a verified account, if it's green then all you need is a verified account with no need to do an unlock.

Also, this isn't currently effective as of yet. It's still in beta, and you have to voluntarily participate in it. Some areas are NFZ as of now, just because DJI doesn't want some idiots flying in class A airspace and ruining it for us unwittingly. DJI doesn't want to restrict how and when we fly, as it directly hurts them too.

And if you have an 'N' number, can you fly higher to film customer realestate? I am limited to 400' and 7 miles from intl airport.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20