Phantom 4 folding props

Reactions: With The Birds
You're forgetting thrust to actually move the drone: force = mass x acceleration (m/s)

Reactions: volace
2gs - 12oz/pivot.

Reactions: With The Birds
I think it is strange any drone has folding blades since GPS or gyro birds' motors CONSTANTLY change speeds to maintain their position or stability. I would think that a floppy prop design wouldn't be the best for the instant acceleration and deceleration that these birds need for optimum performance.

If this is true, I'd get rigid props, if they are ever available, for my MP to get even better performance. If the centrifugal force causes the blades to perform just as good as rigid blades, I still don't think I'd get floppy blades for my P4...unless the provided at least a marginal benefit other than portability. However, this is all just thinking out loud.

Last edited:
Agreed*

*[However]The Mavic has folding props, but... the propulsion system is tuned for them.

Reactions: ftttu
I would be concerned with the difficulty of balancing these folding props. Being hinged the exact center would be hard to locate unless the Magic’s props have some sort of design built in that allows this. Does anyone know?

2gs - 12oz/pivot.
I think the effect of gravity was already applied in the 3lb static weight of the AC. You had it right the first time.

What is most relavent, as you pointed out, is if the aftermarket offering offers the same thrust and is engineered to perform reliably.

Don't see the point and the risk is high. The problem on the Phantom 4 is not the size of the props. The Phantom is larger as it is. I don't see props really being an issue. I simply remove mine and they are no longer any issue. Takes about 10 seconds.

One more item to fail with little if any benefit. The P4G is larger than the Mavic Pro and much larger when compared to the Mavic when it's folded up so any space savings with folding props are minimal.

Brian

I would stick with OEM props, I have never seen any evidence that any third party prop has any advantage over dji props.
I changed my OEM props to those stronger (fibre......) screw on props and after flying 5 different times, one propeller flew off in flight and my Drone was in the drink. It’s in the box without a scratch, but it’s nothing more then a brick. Stick with OEM parts.

Just curious. Since the Mavics' "propulsion system" is the motors, how are they "tuned" to use folding props?

Bud

Agreed*

*[However]The Mavic has folding props, but... the propulsion system is tuned for them.

FWIW the Mavic with it’s folding props is far more stable than the phantom 4 Pro.

Sample size: I’ve had three Mavic and 2 P4P, 110+hrs flight time across those birds, on p4p tried both one and 3rd party props, shot lots of panorama and HDR shooting where I’m super carefully watching the AC.

Just curious. Since the Mavics' "propulsion system" is the motors, how are they "tuned" to use folding props?

Bud

There’s also the ESCs and the aircraft’s firmware/software.

You can Google things like this to see DJI’s tuned propulsion systems.

Perhaps you can help me out here. Exactly what do I Google to find out about DJI’s tuned propulsion systems?

Thanks

There’s also the ESCs and the aircraft’s firmware/software.

You can Google things like this to see DJI’s tuned propulsion systems.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj