Phantom 4 esc 2 and 4 errors?

Reaction score
Hello all. Picked up a phantom 4 model wm330a for 100$ the other day. Previous owner said he tried to do a firmware update and that's when he started getting esc 2 and 4 errors with magnetic compass error.

There are no signs of a crash on the craft. What do I need to start looking at first to fix it.

Are you getting the same errors?

Yes I'm getting the same esc 2 and 4 and magnetic compass interference error.

I have not tried a firmware update yet. Battery was less then 50% last night and it was getting too late to try anything.

Other then that. Everything works and the craft is in great shape.

Mine says it needs a software update on the screen but I'm afraid I'll mess it up. Seems like every time my computors get updated they always have trouble. I still fly it but I keep it near home now!

If mine says esc 2 and 4. That means both eSc boards are triggering the error message?

Ok fixed the esc 2 and 4 error. It was a ribbon cable. After I fixed that I got compass 2 disconnected. Fixed it by unplugging and plugging back in the compass wires. Now I have another problem. When I insert the battery and power on the craft. It takes almost 5 minutes before the craft comes to life. It's like it has to build up a slow charge of power but it works fine after 5 minutes of waiting with the battery inserted and on.

Should I just replace All the internal ribbon cables?

Do the lights come on and camera movement happen right away and it takes five minutes before it’s ready to fly? Could it be your inside and it’s taking that long to obtain GPS signal? If so, take it outside with a clear sky view and start over.

Do the lights come on and camera movement happen right away and it takes five minutes before it’s ready to fly? Could it be your inside and it’s taking that long to obtain GPS signal? If so, take it outside with a clear sky view and start over.

No nothing at all. Almost as if the system needs to build up a charge and heat up before any lights come on. After 5 minutes everything comes to life and acts normal. Would the imu prevent the craft from booting up?

I have all new internal ribbon cables coming tomorrow. Going to replace all the cables and compass , GPS with new ones. Maybe I have a bad cables not feeding power or something.

No nothing at all. Almost as if the system needs to build up a charge and heat up before any lights come on. After 5 minutes everything comes to life and acts normal. Would the imu prevent the craft from booting up?

Above my pay grade and unable to diagnose online...
Things I'd probably try.
Firmware reset - either a downgrade or upgrade.
I don't know how to do a downgrade. Thought I read that was an option though.
Try another battery if you have access.

Best of luck, hope it works out for you.

Thanks. Think I found a old post here with the same problem. Bad battery data connectors or something. Basically the battery was good but the circuit board in the battery is bad. I'll have to buy another battery

Success in upper and lower shell replacement. All ribbon cable replacement. P4 flys like new. Just a small problem tho. Cold start after hours of rest. I turn the battery on but the drone does not turn on until about 3 minutes later. After everything is warmed up it starts instant. Would that be bad battery or bad imu calibration?

Thanks. Think I found a old post here with the same problem. Bad battery data connectors or something. Basically the battery was good but the circuit board in the battery is bad. I'll have to buy another battery
Perform a 20 flight battery drain down and see if the battery is salvageable.
Cool down and recharge.
This will reset the "Smart Chip".
If that does not work, you will then know for a fact that you need a new battery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub