Phantom 4 Crash - DJI Lies and Tries to Charge!! Watch out

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

About 3 weeks back I was flying my drone in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada when all a sudden there was a loss of connection from the drone. I was only 100 feet away and about 150 feet up leaving no reason for the drone to lose connection. As soon as it happened I walked over to the drone and it was in many pieces. Knowing I needed repair I got in contact with DJI, they sent me the label, to send it to them and it was all great! But after about a week they said that it was repaired but it really wasn't. They sent me an invoice for $315, which I was surprised because there was no flying error on my end. So I emailed them back asking for the records and it took them a few days but they sent me an email explaining it was a sudden loss of power and the warranty will cover it.

So...if you have anything repaired by DJI and they send you an invoice always ask because I am a prime example of how these companies just try to keep making money and do NOT stay to their word.

Don't let DJI fool you, these drones are already thousands of dollars!!

JUST FOR THE HEADS UP !! SAFE FLYING

Dave

Reactions: jbbepic
I don't see what the problem is.

Without your data, how they would have known the context of the crash.

And what do you mean by "they said that it was repaired but it really wasn't"?

They didn't fix your drone or is that in your mind issuing an invoice means it wasn't fixed (which is a different issue from the repair itself)?

Last edited:

They didn't fix your drone or is that in your mind issuing an invoice means it wasn't fixed (which is a different issue from the repair itself)?
Sounds like he means they said it was repaired but still couldnt ship it back to him, also the point he was making was that before he asked for the logs they was going to charge him for the apparent repairs, after they realised he was somewhat tech savvy asking for logs they decided they better do the right thing and repair it for free due to a malfunction covered by their warrenty.

Reactions: p3s_noob
Thank you.

Of course they were going to charge him, they don't know how the crash occurred.

The data is the information and evidence needed to satisfy the requirements of a warranty claim.

His story isn't entirely clear: it's hard to tell whether he sent the data at the same time the claim was first filed and they tried to charge him anyway (this would be bad).
Or if he sent the data after he received the invoice, which is the way i read his post.
Naturally, if there is an outstanding invoice, they cannot ship the drone until it's been paid.

Last edited:
Reactions: matsum0t0
Is there a way as an end user to pull those logs? Just wondering as I would pull them prior to sending it out for repair.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you were literally flying near the falls, you don't think the sheer amount of water mist from the falls could have been the cause for the sudden inexplicable crash????

Im confused. If DJI had the bird wouldnt they look at the .dat on the AC as part of the diagnosis? I thought it was routine to provide an estimate prior to commencing any work if it was considered outside warranty cinditions?

Why should they? It's a lot easier to first ask the customer for money and then eventually think and decide about his complaint. You would not believe how many just pay.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app (living near Cologne, Germany)

Hi everyone,

About 3 weeks back I was flying my drone in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada when all a sudden there was a loss of connection from the drone. I was only 100 feet away and about 150 feet up leaving no reason for the drone to lose connection. As soon as it happened I walked over to the drone and it was in many pieces. Knowing I needed repair I got in contact with DJI, they sent me the label, to send it to them and it was all great! But after about a week they said that it was repaired but it really wasn't. They sent me an invoice for $315, which I was surprised because there was no flying error on my end. So I emailed them back asking for the records and it took them a few days but they sent me an email explaining it was a sudden loss of power and the warranty will cover it.

So...if you have anything repaired by DJI and they send you an invoice always ask because I am a prime example of how these companies just try to keep making money and do NOT stay to their word.

Don't let DJI fool you, these drones are already thousands of dollars!!

JUST FOR THE HEADS UP !! SAFE FLYING

Dave
There is a defect in design with the P4P and their batteries. Hence DJI announced and is shipping Version 2 of the P4P which now has a battery sensor to make sure the connection is a positive lock. MANY MANY DJI P4 owners have had them fall out of the sky. Literally the batteries over time do not lock in and disconnect from vibration, similar to the GoPro mess of a drone and the lawsuit that followed it's intro. Unfortunately DJI has chosen not to acknowledge the problem. They would NOT even look at the flight data even though some of these were a mere 30 days out of warranty. Obviously they know about this problem. Why wouldn't they look at the data even it out of warranty? Don't they want to know what happened and improve their products? After numerous attempts to resolve the issue and getting nowhere we are gathering a list and signatures of DJI Phantom 4 owners who have experienced this problem and taking DJI to court. All we want is for them to own that this is a REAL PROBLEM and reimburse those of us who have lost or had their drone destroyed by this defect. If you are interested in getting your P4 replaced due to this same problem then send an eMail to [email protected] and I'll keep you informed on the progress we are making with DJI through the USA legal system.

Picture below shows the NEW BATTERY SENSOR in the new VERSION 2 model of the Phantom 4 Pro
p4p-battery-sensor-1-jpg.100404

There is a defect in design with the P4P and their batteries. Hence DJI announced and is shipping Version 2 of the P4P which now has a battery sensor to make sure the connection is a positive lock. MANY MANY DJI P4 owners have had them fall out of the sky. Literally the batteries over time do not lock in and disconnect from vibration, similar to the GoPro mess of a drone and the lawsuit that followed it's intro.
I'd be surprised if there really is such a problem.
Before the P4 pro V2.0, I haven't noticed enough mystery fall-from-the-sky incidents to think there really is an issue.
If anything, I think there have been significantly more for the V2.0.
It would be a stretch to suggest that the V2.0 was created to fix a problem.
It's just a mid-model update with lots of new features like Ocusynch, new props and ESCs.
If there really was a problem that caused batteries to dislodge, the sensor isn't going to prevent anything anyway.

Although people often suggest that incidents may have been caused by the battery dislodging, there is very little hard evidence of this ever happening.
Unfortunately DJI has chosen not to acknowledge the problem. They would NOT even look at the flight data even though some of these were a mere 30 days out of warranty. Obviously they know about this problem. Why wouldn't they look at the data even it out of warranty? Don't they want to know what happened and improve their products?
If the Phantom is over a year old, it's not a warranty issue.
If it's not a warranty issue, why would DJI go to the trouble to analyse your data.
If there really was an issue, they would be aware and perhaps interested.
But I haven't seen enough evidence on the forum to think there really is an issue.
If you want to know what your data does show, there are members here that are very good at the data analysis.
After numerous attempts to resolve the issue and getting nowhere we are gathering a list and signatures of DJI Phantom 4 owners who have experienced this problem and taking DJI to court. All we want is for them to own that this is a REAL PROBLEM and reimburse those of us who have lost or had their drone destroyed by this defect.
If you want to go to court, you'll have to be able to show details of the supposed design fault and evidence of how it causes the loss of Phantoms.
Can you do that here rather than just asserting that there is a design fault?

I'd be surprised if there really is such a problem.
If there really is such a problem, this new sensor is not going to fix it. All it does is prevent the Phantom from taking off if the pilot does not insert the battery properly. Once the Phantom is in the air, the sensor is not going to be of any help.

I don’t think you are fully understanding. He sent them the drone. They had the data. The best data comes off the drone. So they had everything they needed to know before trying to charge him for repair.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4