Phantom 4 Controller Device

Reaction score
**I found some more P4 threads that helped.**

I am setting things up currently using my Samsung 6S and going to take her out to fly tomorrow. I have a first generation iPad Mini that I would like to use as my permanent display. It is WiFi only. I know the display isn't top end (i.e. Retina) but I am not sure it will matter that much to me at first. My concern evolves around the GPS. Since the drone and RC have GPS capability, does the device really need to have GPS capability?

I found a discussion over on the P3 board, but saw more opinions than actual facts so I wanted to try over here before I committed to one or the other.

Last edited:
Only cellular iPads have GPS. There are 2 things to consider:
  1. You will not be able to reset RTH to current location of the RC.
  2. Maps will not load unless the iPad is connected to Wifi, but you can cache them.
Aside from these considerations, you do not need a GPS-enabled device. All other functionality is the same. The non-Retina display also doesn't matter for flying, as Live View for the P4 is only 720p @ 30 FPS.

Last edited:
The RC does not have a GPS.
You don't need a GPS on the device for follow me, it's an optical feature using the pixel pattern from the drone's camera.
As said above, you won't be able to dynamically reset the HP but that shouldn't matter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik