Phantom 4 controller battery issues

Reaction score
I bought a Phantom 4 three weeks ago and soon noticed the controller was only charging three of the four charge lights. I would only get about 3 to 4 hours of flight on a fully charged controller. 2 days ago while downloading new firmware on the Drone itself, the controller went from a full charge to a red blinking light ( I assume that means critically low) in 20 minutes and won't take a charge at all now. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Reactions: RA15
3 hours of flight is normal for a fully charged RC. The red light means you have no communication with the craft. It takes almost 2 hours to fully charge a RC. You should never take off with only one green light on your RC. I never take off if I don't have 2 green lights, for me it's a safety thing and it's not good to totally drain Lipo batteries as this will reduce it's life. When my second light starts to flash it's time to recharge the RC. If I'm going out to fly my 4 batteries I will charge to 100%. Leave it on the charger for a couple of hours and if you get no green lights you may have a defective charger or RC battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: RA15 and uavflyr
3 hours of flight is normal for a fully charged RC. The red light means you have no communication with the craft. It takes almost 2 hours to fully charge a RC. You should never take off with only one green light on your RC. I never take off if I don't have 2 green lights, for me it's a safety thing and it's not good to totally drain Lipo batteries as this will reduce it's life. When my second light starts to flash it's time to recharge the RC. If I'm going out to fly my 4 batteries I will charge to 100%. Leave it on the charger for a couple of hours and if you get no green lights you may have a defective charger or RC battery.
Thanks for all the good info. It's been a couple days so I just put it on the charger again. It charged for 5 minutes then stopped so I'm pretty sure that controller is defective or the charging wire. The red light I did not know about. Thanks again

Hi man,

did you solve your problem?
I think it's a little bit bigger than expected and it's a firmware problem. Here's my story.
Bought the phantom on august '16 , never had any kind of problem until the last week when I've beed suggested to update the rc firmware to 1.80.
After that, my controller is not fully rechargable, it stops to be at around 70%, but the interesting this is that, after reaching 0% battery i did around 5 or 6 more flights!
So I think the battery is ok! when you charge it to 70%, it's not! it's 100%... and when you reach 0% you have 30% more to flight. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT YOU WILL FLY THAT 30% with a BEEP BEEP BEEP low battery warning and it's quite annoying.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem, I will thank him for the rest of my life.

ps. already tried any kinds of firmware downgrade , re- upgrade, rc reset and many more. Nothing working.

bye

I am having similar problems with the controller battery.
Purchased a Phantom 4 in Sept 2016. It was fine until two month ago when the controller didn't seem to last as long as before.
Then it's charge lasted less and less.
Now it will charge to the second LED only. When turned on, it lasts about 2 minutes until it blinks and beeps the low battery warning.

I bought a Phantom 4 three weeks ago and soon noticed the controller was only charging three of the four charge lights. I would only get about 3 to 4 hours of flight on a fully charged controller. 2 days ago while downloading new firmware on the Drone itself, the controller went from a full charge to a red blinking light ( I assume that means critically low) in 20 minutes and won't take a charge at all now. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

My controller refuses to change past 75% the only way to trick it is to unplug it and then plug it in again it will continue to charge for a few mins, I think there is a problem with most of the controller battery's as I have seen a few threads like this!

I only have 2 days since I got my brand new Phanton 4 and I have that issue.
I charged it when I opened the pakage, updated and registred with FAA. Then I want it to fly and I couldn't because " low control battery charge" even after leave it charging overnight.

I am having the exact same issue (like a lot of other people). I got onto their online chat "help" and this is what happened: (btw: I went to all of the latest firmware, which was released 7/6/17 and it did 0 to resolve this issue)

Jester
DJI Support

Me:) Hi
my controller battery will not charge
I did research online and a lot of people are having this issue

DJI:) Alright Rich. Let's do something about this.
May I know the model of your drone Rich?

Me:) Phantom 4

DJI:) Alright Rich. What happened before you experienced this issue?

Me:) I was out of town for a while and when i got back the battery was dead and won't charge. I have used this product maybe 6 or 7 times in as many months
it charges the drone batteries and it works when plugged in
thebattery just won't charge
i can fly the drone with the rc as long as i leave it plugged in

DJI:) Did you charge it for 2-3hrs Rich?

Me:) i charged it for several hours
no change

DJI:) Alright Rich.
You can charge the battery but not the remote control, am I right Rich?

Me:) yes
both batteries charge fine, but not the remote

DJI:) Did you try to charge it in different power outlet Rich?

Me:) yes, 2 different houses, in fact

DJI:) I apologize but your remote control have some hardware glitch right now and needs for some repair.

Me:) ok. no way for me to replace the battery myself?

DJI:) The battery of the remote control Rich?

Me:) yes

DJI:) There's no way. It should be send for a repair.
When did you received your unit Rich?

Me:) end of last year. oct i think. I purchased from best buy

DJI:) Alright Rich. I suggest for you to buy a new remote control.

Me:) buy? it is under warranty I spent $1300+ for something i have used 7 times
why would i do that exactly? it is less than a year old

DJI:) Our remote control's warranty is for 6 months only Rich.

Me:) this is a lot of bs

DJI:) I'm sorry Rich.

Me:) Its still in warranty. It will be a cold day in hell when your company ever gets another dollar out of me. i write reviews for google. see who it costs more.. me or you

DJI:) Where are you located Rich?

Me:) everyone is having the same issue with this crappy controller no wonder you sneaked in a lower warranty

DJI:) I suggest to send it for a repair Rich.

Me:) i will be filing a complaint with Best Buy while I am at it. Its still in warranty period,

DJI:) I'm sorry for the confusion.

Me:) i want a case number
Me:) and your operator number
Me:) and your supervisors operator number

DJI:) I apologize Rich. It's still in warranty period and you can send it for a repair to us. The technician will do some assessment in regards with this issue.

Me:) i would like an a replacement in advance
then there will be no confusion about whether i get charged or not

DJI:) Alright Rich. I'll make a case for you.
I'll just need some information from you:
1. Complete Name
2. Complete Address
3. Email Address
4. Contact Number
5. Date of Purchase
6. Date of reported incident
7. Model of Drone
8. Do you have DJI Care/ DJI Care Refresh? (Yes or No)

Me:) I need your operator number

DJI:) I apologize Rich but I don't have resources for that option.

Me:) I need the name of your supervisor

DJI:) What I have here is a phone number +1 (818) 235 0789. I'm sorry but this is the only thing I can give now.

This is what you guys are in for. Maybe try calling instead?

The bottom line is that DJI has to be well aware of the issues people are having by now and their support is pretty lacking, in my opinion.

Did you happen to notice he didn't even ask me about firmware levels or the likes?

If you have one of these actually under warranty, get it in fast. They seem to be depending on the fact that most people buy these expensive toys and do not use them very often. They certainly are not claiming ownership of this well know problem they unleashed on us.

Just my opinion, but I would be reluctant to buy anything else from them. The Phantom features are great, but a product is only as good as the company backing it.
At this point, they have not given me any reason to have confidence in them.

Reactions: jkers10

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj