Phantom 4 compass calibration warning

Reaction score
I have a p4 refurbished unit with 3 fly only and it always when is flying the compass calibration warning appear and disappear but I'm afraid to take the bird on a long fly because of it. I want to know if somebody is going trough the same and if what was the fix or my only option is return the bird .please help.

Yes out of the box, today I even went to a baseball field took off my belt and the car's keys were more than 10feet away and try to calibrate the p4 with not success, I calibrate the IMU and everything else look normal but the calibrate compass warning always appear.

May be a return to sender unit. I'm not sure how that works on refurbs. Not fun. And no, I would not fly it with that issue.

Yes out of the box, today I even went to a baseball field took off my belt and the car's keys were more than 10feet away and try to calibrate the p4 with not success, I calibrate the IMU and everything else look normal but the calibrate compass warning always appear.
It may be that there is a hardware issue.
To check, go to the Sensors section of the ap settings and see what it shows for the compass.
i-SZS4G86-M.png

When you calibrated your compass after the horizontal 360 did the rear lights flash yellow? the next 360 has to be done with the camera pointing down, the rear lights should go green. Being in a field may or may not be without magnetic interference, there might be buried cables or steel, try somewhere else and see if there's a difference.
Recurring compass calibration warning in flight is not good, if your compass screws up your RTH is a no go. If this persists I would return it.
Do what Meta says.

When I tried to calibrate the compass today after the first step the light stay solid green, then I continued to the second step and yes.. I did put the camera in down position but that step never go through like is supposed to go in order for the calibration to be done .

Still I have 14 days from the purchased date to return it and 1 year warranty from DJI, but we know all the time that take to deal with DJI. I'm returning it for a exchange or getting my money back.

When I tried to calibrate the compass today after the first step the light stay solid green, then I continued to the second step and yes.. I did put the camera in down position but that step never go through like is supposed to go in order for the calibration to be done .
If you have repeated failure trying to calibrate the compass, assuming that you are doing it properly, the reason is either:
1. You are too close to the magnetic field of a large anoutnt of steel or live power cables
or
2. You have a hardware problem which can be confirmed as in post #5 above.
It's one or the other.

If 1 ... that is easily fixed by moving away from the magnetic influence
If 2 ... it will never work until the hardware issue is fixed

ps .. you may have to go more than 360 degrees with the second axis.

My refurb almost always tells me to calibrate each and every time. It always completes successfully and I move on. Sort of a hassle but not a big deal. I've never had a flight issue.
My iPad mini wants me to run a calibration every once in a while too.

That unit is refurb, maybe original owner did return for these kind of anomalies.

If you get abnormal behavior dues to faulty sensor, you can still control in Atti mode normally (for which you should be trained ideally). But if craft fly on it's own, ie if disconnnected and performing automatic RTH then abnormal inputs from sensors (GO app seems to detect something incorrect right?) can potentially put your bird at risk.

This is where we got more concerns maybe, but warnings are maybe just overkill and P4 firmware enough smart to work around.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1