Phantom 4 Backpack - Hardshell vs SoftShell

Which backpack you prefer

• Hardshell backpack

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Softshell backpac that cover original foam case

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi I wonder if anyone here has used both the Hardshell backpack and the Softshell which cover your original phantom 4 foam. I wonder which one is more convenience and better. Since the original foam is very sturdy and fit the whole kits nicely, should we just buy a softshell backpack that cover the whole foam?
Does the Hardshell foam as intuitive as the original foam.

Thanks you

Soft case is good enough if you move around locally but if you use airlines frequently it may be better to have hard case.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

IMO the Think Tank Airport Helipak Backpack is the best option. Check this review on youtube
Best DJI Phantom 4 Bag | Think Tank Airport Helipak Backpack Review

IMO the Think Tank Airport Helipak Backpack is the best option. Check this review on youtube
Best DJI Phantom 4 Bag | Think Tank Airport Helipak Backpack Review
+1 on the Think Tank...great bag...all of their bags are well made and they stand behind them...I use mine when I'm hiking in or flying to locations with a light load... it fits perfectly in the overheads.
I also have the Case Club hard shell that I love because of the wheels and the fact that the bird fits with the props on ready to fly...doesn't fit in an overhead though so I use it mainly when flying from drive-in locations or those times I need to fedex the bird to a location.

I have ordered in three bags, and rejected 2, for my use. The slip cover nylon just goes over the foam I don't think will last too long, if you're using it to get in and out of cars, boats, trains etc. , for an at home unit, I think it'll be fine. The second one was Was a true hard case and after seeing the size I realize it would beat the crap out of my car interior.. The drone trekker was the winner, all the storage I need, high-quality, and overall soft, to throw in and out of the car.

For me, the important features in a backpack are:
1. Convenience. Quick and easy access to all of my stuff with minimal hassle, and minimal zippers, 2 max.
2. Light weight, the right size, not too big for convenience of toting around in the car and not to small to carry everything I need.
3. Quality, to last long. Good zippers that zip open and closed easy and reliably. Some backpacks use cheap small gauge zippers, which can break easy.
4. Comfort. Good padded shoulders straps and a good waist belt are key for those long hikes, or bike rides.
5. Configurability, the versatility to change the interior configuration around as your equipment evolves (antenna mod, boosters, tracker, wind meter, SD holder, etc).
6. Good value, price right, considering the quality.
7. Adequate protection for the craft and radio. Notice I didn't say maximum protection, because that requires molded insert, which comprises versatility.
8. Airline compliance, 22X14X9", smaller or close to these numbers so you won't get rejected at the gate. Checking isn't an option in my book, the backpack must be compliant.
9. Two handles, one on the top and one on the side. You'd be surprised how often both come in handy.
10. Soft pack so it doesn't beat up my car, no hard shells.

Think Tank Helipak ($149) comes the closest to my ideal backpack. That's what I would buy again. ProCraft ($129) comes in second, but it's slightly too big and the main zipper isn't as rugged, but I own one of those too. Other drone backpacks I've bought and return include Manfrotto, Lowepro, Microraptor, and PolarPro (Trekker version 1).

I also bought the Chinese Cheapy and used it 9 months. It was OK, very lightweight, but the materials were cheap and it wouldn't hold all the stuff I needed to carry.

Looks like the ThinkTank backpack has enough room for the DBS antenna. Are there any other bags that would support a larger remote pocket?

Looks like the ThinkTank backpack has enough room for the DBS antenna. Are there any other bags that would support a larger remote pocket?

The think tank also can have the partitions changed to accommodate things. I've got 3 spare batteries plus one in the quad, the remote, charger, charging hub, props and spare props, raincover for the bag, cables and still loads of room left. Can get my laptop in the front pocket too plus there's room for the landing pad disk thing too.

Reactions: CRAMPTEX

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik