Phantom 4 - Antenna Boost Question

Reaction score
Our company is using a Phantom 4 and I am finding that when I am inspecting high roofs, and the building is brick, I cannot fly it on the opposite side without losing signal in video feed. Almost as if the standard antennas are not powerful enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, solid objects can seriously attenuate 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz signals. I have found that the simple parabolic reflectors on both antennas do a good job extending the signal both transmit and receive. You should try these first, about twelve bucks on Amazon. Get the type that are hinged together as they keep the antennas straight. You may also experience multipath problems where the signals coming and going are bouncing off nearby objects and arriving out of phase with the intended signal which can drastically lower the signal strength. Simply moving your controller location might show positive results.

Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF

Interesting. I‘ve always thought flying any DJI product to the opposite side of a tall building from where the controller is would be a bit more risk than it was worth. Everything I’ve read or seen indicates that a decent line of sight between ac and rc is best and anything else can lead to some form of loss.
Is this something that you do on a regular basis?

Aren’t the parabolic more line of sight.
Definitely move your remote to the other side.
Yes but actually all radio waves are basically line of sight at these frequencies. The reflectors simply put more of the signal in the direction the reflectors are pointed rather than losing the RF where it is not needed. The reflectors should make the signal to the drone stronger as compared what actually gets to it without them.
Jim
WA5TEF

You'll either have to move way back or walk around to the other side of the building if possible.

Yes but actually all radio waves are basically line of sight at these frequencies. The reflectors simply put more of the signal in the direction the reflectors are pointed rather than losing the RF where it is not needed. The reflectors should make the signal to the drone stronger as compared what actually gets to it without them.
Jim
WA5TEF
I agree, but if the signal is blocked by the building, what use are they?

Our company is using a Phantom 4 and I am finding that when I am inspecting high roofs, and the building is brick, I cannot fly it on the opposite side without losing signal in video feed. Almost as if the standard antennas are not powerful enough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Two things I would do, get the reflector as it does help but also there is a good chance you were just standing to close the building , if you watch the video i have posted of the Phantom flying from inside the car I do go over and behind the brick building but do not loose signal .

I do think there is some kind of angle that the controller struggles with and its based on being to close rather than afar.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain.
Coal

Reactions: Hounddog
For some reason Ocu-Sync works better than the P4 lightbridge. In addition, P4 was DJI's worst implementation of lightbridge, IMO. I was never happy with my P4 until I paired it with an Inspire RC. That combination worked good, performing more like my P3P for range and penetration.

When comparing my M2Z to my P4P V1, the M2Z is better at flying behind solid objects like buildings and mountains, within reason. I'm basically saying the M2Z will go farther behind objects than my P4P, and I'm a huge fan of P4P V1 and it's capabilities. But in this particular comparison, the M2Z wins. IMO, the P4 is the black sheep of all DJI "non-wifi" drones since 2015, it just doesn't work well for being a lightbridge enabled setup. I have a friend that had the same experience, he agrees that something was detuned in that model.

There can be so many factors that come into play that it would be hard to point out one single issue. I use the reflectors on all my drones (just for the added insurance/peace of mind). I have flown over stadiums, behind buildings and hills with all (Spark, Mavic Air/Pro/2Pro along with Phantoms 3P and Phantom 4) and the only issue I have face is the limits of the drone itself. The video I posted on construction vlogging I used each of my drones on that project and never had an issue with any of them and I flew behind the building, inside the building before the roof was put on.

Yep, solid objects can seriously attenuate 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz signals. I have found that the simple parabolic reflectors on both antennas do a good job extending the signal both transmit and receive. You should try these first, about twelve bucks on Amazon. Get the type that are hinged together as they keep the antennas straight. You may also experience multipath problems where the signals coming and going are bouncing off nearby objects and arriving out of phase with the intended signal which can drastically lower the signal strength. Simply moving your controller location might show positive results.

Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF
Thank you Jim for the help! I read all the comments below and I think I will try the hinged parabolic reflectors. The site I am flying at does not allow me to walk around the building due to security risks, but I think just increasing the signal should solve my problem. Thanks!

When I read these stories I can't help but feel I'm being cheated. How come the military can launch a drone from Florida and zap some guys thousands of miles away in Afghanistan and never lose the signal while we can't even make it to the back side of our own house without going dark? I'm kidding, of course cause the military uses satellites but with all the money I've spent with DJI, you'd think they'd have at least a couple of sputnik's up there so I can fly behind a tree and not lose the signal, daggnabbitt!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20