Phantom 4 and towers

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what towers are safe to fly around and what I need to avoid when wanting to fly towers? Any information will be appreciated.

I avoid them all. Not because of interference fears but because they are private property. They typically have fenced perimeters making retrieval next to impossible should something happen.

Reactions: Acb1
Thanks for the reply , some towers are actually on private property or public property and people can get permission to fly them. With that said can any speak to what towers to look out for when looking to film . Thanks again for any information!

I assume your concern is with RF emissions. All can be hazourdous. The closer you fly the more likely you are to have issues, microwave links are reported to be particulatily problematic. If you intend to fly behind a tower make sure your RTH height is sufficient to clear it if lost signal failsafe kicks in.

The only tower I will say safe for drones are lighthouses. They are small and easy to do the mode point of interest.

Got you, so from radio towers to cell phone towers there really is not a difference , all are pretty much harmful?

Reactions: Elvy
Another often unseen danger with radio and TV towers is guy wires.
Not very easy to spot on your monitor and clipping one will likely be the end of it all.....

Got you, so from radio towers to cell phone towers there really is not a difference , all are pretty much harmful?
Pretty much... even electric cabling on the street can produce interference. This is why drones are recommended to be flying on a park, mountains or any other area away from any interference.

I have a friend in the communications business who uses his Phantom 2, then a Phantom 4P to visually inspect his towers and antennas. He has flown his P4P right up to the radiating 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz antennas without any problems! I would not do it but he has not had a problem so far. He gets the needed tower inspections of guy cables, lights, and such plus has a video record. I certainly do not plan on doing similar but I thought this info might be interesting to the topic.
Good flying!
Jim
WA5TEF

Wow, I agree , I wonder why some people have no problem and then you see where some peoples Drone losses signal with the remote and crashes! I wonder how and why this occurs, but that is great information!

I did a High tension tower inspection once. When I got close (Very close / 8 feet) to the high voltage lines, I got a warning of magnetic interference. It stopped as soon as I moved about a foot away from where I had been when the warning popped up.

That's why DJI is going to be successful selling the new M200 drone to the enterprise businesses. Magnetic interference does not affect them and is also water proof.

I have some great video flying over a cellular tower . It was around 150' tall & flew 30' above it & around it with no problem. Cool video to watch & it was in a field no fences across from friends house. I'd upload but I can't upload video here for some reason

I have some great video flying over a cellular tower . It was around 150' tall & flew 30' above it & around it with no problem. Cool video to watch & it was in a field no fences across from friends house. I'd upload but I can't upload video here for some reason
At 30ft away the signal strength at your AC would be less than half that provided by your mobile phone at 2 feet from your RC. All will be good.

Reactions: The Ghost

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31