Phantom 4 altitude climb/rise, unstable

Reaction score
I got myself another P4 (after killing my previous one). Bought it used but in perfect condition with just couple of minutes flight time and batteries only charged once.
Compared to my RIP P4, this one is not as stable in the air as the old one was.
I am experiencing altitude loss and and gain without doing anything with sticks. For ex, if I make it go little faster and stop, it will go upp in altitude maybe 7-9m and then come back again. Also it would not hold altitude very well.
Calibrated IMU, vision position sensors, compass.. same..

Why?

I don't know if the direction and any wind affects the reason why my P4 climbs and descends with the direction it flies, but it does. Outbound may be correct, but coming back it climbs higher by itself. I've done a square in Autopilot without any input from me and it does the same thing, could be off by 20 feet between the two legs. I'm probably expecting too much from these toys.

Some other DJI models have two barometers in them. I don't know if it is better with them or not.

Added: All updates are current on my P4.

Last edited:
Is this new P4 up to date with firmware? There were altitude issues with very early firmware versions.

Is this new P4 up to date with firmware? There were altitude issues with very early firmware versions.

Yes I know about that, but all firmware on this one is up to date..

I don't know if the direction and any wind affects the reason why my P4 climbs and descends with the direction it flies, but it does. Outbound may be correct, but coming back it climbs higher by itself. I've done a square in Autopilot without any input from me and it does the same thing, could be off by 20 feet between the two legs. I'm probably expecting too much from these toys.

Some other DJI models have two barometers in them. I don't know if it is better with them or not.

Added: All updates are current on my P4.

As I mentioned, on my previous P4 I did not have same issue.
Those drops and gains can be related to harder braking I think, and maybe something else. But I did not have that issue when I breaked on my former P4.

Tried a controller calibration? I had a similar problem straight out of the box and the calibration fixed it.

I will try that!

I will try that!
Believe it or not, I flew this morning with both Litchi and the go app and experienced wild fluctuations with both height and distance whilst trying to hover. I remembered your post and went back inside and did a recal of both the controller and the IMU. Pretty sure it was an IMU issue as the values were quite high to begin with and and figured the change in weather (winter) which also gave me much longer warm up times was the culprit. Warms up in under a minute and hovers rock solid with both apps. Thanks for the 'thread kick-in-the-head' reminder!

Believe it or not, I flew this morning with both Litchi and the go app and experienced wild fluctuations with both height and distance whilst trying to hover. I remembered your post and went back inside and did a recal of both the controller and the IMU. Pretty sure it was an IMU issue as the values were quite high to begin with and and figured the change in weather (winter) which also gave me much longer warm up times was the culprit. Warms up in under a minute and hovers rock solid with both apps. Thanks for the 'thread kick-in-the-head' reminder!

It should fix mine issues as well if only were to calibrate, but it doesnt.
I also tried with another controller, exactly same behaviour..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie