Phantom 3S Distance ???

Reaction score
I know another distance post...... But I have something strange happening. My son and I both have p3s, this past weekend was the first time we could get together to fly. he goes out to around 2000' at 200' altitude, then looses signal and p3s returns home. his worked perfectly.

My turn: I start up in latitude, get to about 185' and loose controller signal, video is fine. hmmm it returns home. so go up to 100", I have RC signal, so i start out for some distance, 900" loose RC signal again. I repeated both of these flights numerous times with the same results. This is all done in a very open field.

So i open up the controller, thinking its the 5.8 antenna connection, carefully removing the silicon. connector look to be on there solid, but i take it off and reseat it, I feel the click as it goes on. So I am hoping that was it. I go out side, 161' straight up and loose RC signal again.

so now we take my sons controller and pair it to my p3s, everything works fine, getting distance and altitude, so its not the drone. repair my controller (as suggested in other threads), go test, same results.

Now i have ordered a cable, Mini PCIe U.FL / IPEX to RP-SMA Antenna from amazon and I have some 5.8 antennas, so will try to just replace the 5.8 antenna and see what happens. I don't really expect anything different.

If this would solve the problem, then i could just buy one of the antenna mods. But if not, then I will need a new controller. Kinda of to late to send it back under waranty, since i opened up the controller and plucked off the silicon.

Did i miss anything in the tests. I'm open to suggestions.

When I'm having issues with equipment the first thing I do is try different equipment on it and see if I can narrow it down it sounds like you already did that you noted down to your controller know if the intent of my don't work you know that you just need a new controller. Somebody told you just to send it back what you found out your sons worked but your past that point so keep moving forward you'll get it right

I would try his controller on your bird, you probably know the result, but, you never know?
I would still send it in for a warranty they probably want the bird to. I don't think they would charge you, if you tell them up front and there isn't any damage.
I would rather modify something that works correctly then something that is broke.
I would stop saying "I would" If I could.
:)

Reactions: martybabe
I did try my son's controller on my drone, and got great distance and altitude. So the problem is the controller for sure, seems to be on the 5.8 side. I read the DJI warranty disclaimer carefully, its voided if you open up the equipment or tamper with it. I did open up the controller and pluck off the silicon, to reseat the connectors. oh well, didn't really want to be without it for 6 to 8 weeks anyways.

should have a antenna cable today from amazon and i have a 5.8 antenna, so will test that and see.

otherwise i will just buy a new controller, and move on.

509Eagle, I'm having the exact same issue. My cable wasn't fully seated. I pushed it in & was excited to test. No change. Bummer. Looking forward to hearing your results after you replace the cable.

If you getting more range with your sons controller then your controller has a issue and it is no pushing the correct power meaning it's not pushing out the correct dbm. So you can rather just get the ARGtek mod life sorted. Or just put a new 5.8ghz antenna. Now of changing antenna does not work and u have the same problem you facing then your 5.8module in your controller is faulty.

I did try my son's controller on my drone, and got great distance and altitude. .
Are you using the same tablet on the bad flights or have you tried swapping that around also? I had the same problem using my Samsung Tab 3 (not tab 3 lite) but it works fine with my Galaxy 5S and my Insignia 7.85.

Can't see how a different wifi device will have an effect on RC signal. Any thoughts on how or why?

Can't see how a different wifi device will have an effect on RC signal. Any thoughts on how or why?
I didn't know why, but with the tab 3 I would get a lost signal, RTH message every time I tried it. I tried flying from several different locations but still couldn't get more than a couple hundred feet out.

I didn't know why, but with the tab 3 I would get a lost signal, RTH message every time I tried it. I tried flying from several different locations but still couldn't get more than a couple hundred feet out.

I think I also need to try a different device ! Will Samsung tab 4 be fine ?

Eagle509 please post your findings when you can. If anything, its an opportunity for others (including me) to learn something. If you do find that the 5.8 module is bad, I'd be interested in knowing what, if anything, others could "look for" when opening up the controller. I recently modded my P3S with the ArgTek antenna - but haven't flown it yet with the new setup (been raining here in New Jersey)

image.jpeg
Got the new cable today, installed the new antenna. Only had a chance to do an altitude test, straight up. Started to get a weak signal warning at about 340 feet, I did make it to 400 foot when I lost signal and and returned home. Repeated the test and lost signal at 375 Feet.

This was a great improvement, was losing at 165 to185 foot before. But it's still not as good as I would expect. Going. To get a new controller and keep this one as a backup,

View attachment 45066 Got the new cable today, installed the new antenna. Only had a chance to do an altitude test, straight up. Started to get a weak signal warning at about 340 feet, I did make it to 400 foot when I lost signal and and returned home. Repeated the test and lost signal at 375 Feet.

This was a great improvement, was losing at 165 to185 foot before. But it's still not as good as I would expect. Going. To get a new controller and keep this one as a backup,

Hi that's good how many dbi is the antenna ?

the antenna is from a Motorola 5131 dual radio access point 0 I believe its 5dbi.

Just had time to do a quick distance test this morning, got to 1450 feet before loosing signal and return home, was at 200' altitude.

once the bird was back home, i took it straight up, did get to 400' but after about 15 seconds lost controller signal.

During both tests, video was solid. I am still wary of the controller, should I be?

Yes, I think it is the controller, where are you at, I know somebody in Florida that has got a controller.

I'm very disappointed I installed the argtek antenna I get high as 30m and distance of 15m .I'm so upset thinking I would
Get good out come. Anyone know what could be the problem. ? Makes me also thing my controller is messed

I'm very disappointed I installed the argtek antenna I get high as 30m and distance of 15m .I'm so upset thinking I would
Get good out come. Anyone know what could be the problem. ? Makes me also thing my controller is messed
Sounds like you have beginnersmode enabled. You can turn it Off in the app.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Squirrel!
My beginner mode is switched off .on app it shows signal lost if beginner mode was on a message would appear that's what I understand . . Just hope someone can give feedback how to fix this.

Dear all,

I live in the Netherlands. So my drone is set to CE. When flying with good open conditions a get video lost at 160 meters. RC signal is still fine. Is this normal behavior? In an urban situation I lose my video at 30m altitude.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav