Phantom 3a

Reaction score
Hey guys. Newbie here needing some advice. I am getting my new drone tomorrow and have been reading all about the geocache stuff on the new firmware. I am about 4 miles from a small airport and the fAA app says I need permission. Can I just download an older version to the drone? I think 1.4 is the oldest on the site. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'd wait and see what's installed before worrying about trying to roll back.

My Advice is install the App to your device but DO NOT UPDATE before your first flights. Note what firmware is on your Advanced from the factory. Run an IMU calibration & RC calibration from the Go app. Make sure you are all read up & familiar with the aircraft & app controls & have your app set up properly. Perform a compass calibration at your fly site when you are ready to make your first flight.

Pay close attention to how she performs during those initial flights so you have a basis for comparison should you chose to update later. Not sure what FW will be on your bird from the factory? If it is 1.3 or 1.4 you are good. If it comes with 1.5 you will want to get off of that version immediately. Were it me I would back up to 1.4. Only go to 1.6 if you are ready to accept the GEO annoyance & reduced performance to overcome battery issues of 1.5.

Good advice I think ^. I got my P3A two weeks ago and am still running 1.3.2. Running good so far...

Thanks dirty bird. I totally appreciate the information. I will check it out tomorrow and see what version it's shipped with. I think I have a lot of reading ahead of me!!! Happy Flying

Cool beans. Looking forward to your first flight videos.

Thanks dirty bird. I totally appreciate the information. I will check it out tomorrow and see what version it's shipped with. I think I have a lot of reading ahead of me!!! Happy Flying

My Advice is install the App to your device but DO NOT UPDATE before your first flights. Note what firmware is on your Advanced from the factory. Run an IMU calibration & RC calibration from the Go app. Make sure you are all read up & familiar with the aircraft & app controls & have your app set up properly. Perform a compass calibration at your fly site when you are ready to make your first flight.

Pay close attention to how she performs during those initial flights so you have a basis for comparison should you chose to update later. Not sure what FW will be on your bird from the factory? If it is 1.3 or 1.4 you are good. If it comes with 1.5 you will want to get off of that version immediately. Were it me I would back up to 1.4. Only go to 1.6 if you are ready to accept the GEO annoyance & reduced performance to overcome battery issues of 1.5.
If he installs DJI Go App now, it will be the latest (2.5.1) and it will get geo data

Are you running Android or iOS?

Hey guys. Newbie here needing some advice. I am getting my new drone tomorrow and have been reading all about the geocache stuff on the new firmware. I am about 4 miles from a small airport and the fAA app says I need permission. Can I just download an older version to the drone? I think 1.4 is the oldest on the site. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Good to know FiveOh. I will definitely disable auto updates. So you have the latest DJI go app and your bird has 1.3 with no issues?? So I assume I update the bird via an SD card and just turn off updates on the go app??? Sorry if I sound ignorant. I am just getting my feet wet

It's more difficult with IOS, unfortunately. Can't get older versions from the app store. It is still possible if you have an older version backed up somewhere, though. It is possible to NOT accept new updates.

Good to know FiveOh. I will definitely disable auto updates. So you have the latest DJI go app and your bird has 1.3 with no issues?? So I assume I update the bird via an SD card and just turn off updates on the go app??? Sorry if I sound ignorant. I am just getting my feet wet

Yes, everything is working flawlessly so far (except maybe one battery I'm concerned about). I almost updated firmware immediately out of the box, but saw several experienced pilots advised against it. Their explanations seemed reasonable, so I'm going to stay here for awhile to get acquainted with my bird. Don't update the phantom with the SD card until you are ready. (Unless you find out it shipped with 1.5).

Yea the latest app is 2.5.1 on my iPhone. Would I be better off getting a cheap android tablet instead of dealing with geocache ?

Yea the latest app is 2.5.1 on my iPhone. Would I be better off getting a cheap android tablet instead of dealing with geocache ?

You won't have to worry about it with 1.3. My experience anyway. I flew last week about 3 miles from an airfield that shows up as an authorization zone on DJI's website (after making notification to the tower and management) and had no authorization issues or popups in the app. I would wait before worrying.

Thanks Five & Dirty. Appreciate the info. I'll ping you if that's cool when the bird arrives

Hey guys. Looks like I have version 1.4 on the bird. Can you tell
Me where I change the auto update. So I can keep it at version 1.4. Thanks again

Hey guys. Looks like I have version 1.4 on the bird. Can you tell
Me where I change the auto update. So I can keep it at version 1.4. Thanks again

Your aircraft won't auto update. Only the app will (if your settings allow it). Good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic