Phantom 3

Reaction score
Not sure if it is discussed / brainstormed before, but when Inspire 1 was announced, I was only attracted by its style and transformation, and the way it looks in the sky. Although it comes with many 'extra' things to justify the price (many have been discussed and I'm not trying to repeat here), as a leisure flyer, I don't really need all those great features.

Actually, I wish the next Phantom would be something like this:

1. a Inspire-like appearance, with the legs transformed the same way
2. keep using the wifi-extender and the usual remote
3. of course no need to have dual-control compatibility
4. Camera doesn't need 4K, a 16-mega pixel sensor with 90 something degree FOV is just fine.
5. 3-way gimbal

Simply speaking, it will be a P2V+ with Inspire outlook, better 3-way gimbal, a little better camera. That's all.

If it is priced USD1,699. Would it be great?

You have to establish target audiences to properly sell products, and most importantly you have to have a product life cycle

Now DJI offers what we can call 3 product categories

Consumer = not alot of $$ so give them free crack so they get hooked
Pro-sumer = A bit more $$ a bit more expertise likely looking for more features
Professional = ah yeah hopefully you follow by now!

All companies that sell a product approach business this way...

If the consumer product was well over $1000.00 DJI looses customer base

Pro-sumer stuff can be priced over $1K and we dont flinch or complain because its expected, you cant "today" expect the buy a Retina MacBook Pro for the price of a low end MacBook. The people who buy the low end MacBook generally cant afford the MacBook Pro or maybe they dont need all of the features of the higher end MacBook Pro

The next generation of Phantom should benefit from the development of the Inspire.
The Inspire camera and gimbal only weigh 220 grams so should be easily lifted by the Phantom.
One major problem with the Inspire is the weight which affects flight time.
With Australia, New Zealand and Canada making a move to legal work with sub 2kg drones without licensing, other countries may follow but the Inspire is overweight and won't qualify. That's going to make for a definite market space for a commercial grade quad & camera under 2kg. DJI have all the parts - they just have to put them together.
They could shed the transform mechanism and the optic flow sensor, maybe adjust the size or use the Phantom chassis and deliver what the market needs - an Inspired Phantom 3 or an Inspire Lite

Meta4 said:
The next generation of Phantom should benefit from the development of the Inspire.
The Inspire camera and gimbal only weigh 220 grams so should be easily lifted by the Phantom.
With Australia, New Zealand and Canada making a move to legal work with sub 2kg drones without licensing, other countries may follow but the Inspire is overweight and won't qualify. That's going to make for a definite market space for a commercial grade quad & camera under 2kg. DJI have all the parts - they just have to put them together.
They could shed the transform mechanism and the optic flow sensor, maybe adjust the size or use the Phantom chassis and deliver what the market needs - an Inspired Phantom 3 or an Inspire Lite

Great Meta4. Can't agree more.

please casa open up the sub 2kg soon so i can stop getting my balls broken by so called pro's that i'm using my phantom illegaly . :x

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl