Phantom 3 vs Phantom 4 Durability

Reaction score
So I started off about a year ago with my first quad copter; a DJI Phantom 3 Professional. I use it for both work and personal use. I was originally going to buy an Inspire 1, but sense it was my first one I decided to go with the Phantom 3. Since then I have gathered that the Inspire is pretty much over kill for me, is more of a liability if it crashes and seems to be better for a 2 person system, which I am not. I can see getting easily mixed up in direction rotating the camera around as well. Besides, I have learned to get just about the same shots out of a Phantom 3 as the Inspire:

My question, though, is that I have been thinking about upgrading to a Phantom 4. In setting my ego on the table for a moment, I have literally crashed Phantom 3's last year like 5 times. Once it was totaled and sold it on Ebay for parts. Once involved the shell and camera/gimbal. The other 3 times involved the camera/gimbal breaking apart, which was like a $600 fix each time. The interesting thing is I don't crash it out in nature; it's only on jobs. I shoot commercials for a living; mostly local, but some regional. When I am shooting something like a car dealership, there is a lot of inference, polls, trees, etc. The obstacle avoidance on the Phantom 4 is pretty much going to be useless for me, as you can see what's in front of you; dah! Most of my crashes were in flying sideways or backwards where you can't see. PLUS my Phantom 3 seems to drift a bit. Not like wind drift either; just GPS drift. They all have done that to me. Now I just use the Phantom 3 Advanced, as all my deliverables are in 1080 anyways, so there's no point in wrecking a 4K camera. lol

Anyways, does anyone have any experience between the two in crashing? Is the internal gimbal more durable in the Phantom 4? Also, I heard the Phantom 4 drifts less. Is that true? I got a lot invested in my P3A with like 5 batteries, two pro chargers, ND filter kit, etc, but can always sell it on Ebay if the two concerns above are greatly improved. Thoughts?

I do not have experience with a Phantom 3 but my 4 does not drift at all. 95% of the time it's as solid as it could be. The only odd thing I experience is in the beginning of the flight when taking off and hovering - it'll drop a couple of feet of altitude. Taking off up to 8 feet and hovering for like 30 seconds is now a routine thing for me just to make sure it adjusts itself to whatever the issue is and from there on, using GPS and GLONASS it's as stable as it could be.

As for crashing flying sideways. Have you ever considered flying out and mapping a path in forward direction and then having software fly for you sideways on the same path?

Reactions: Douglas Struble
I've had the P3P and now a P4, at this point I don't think you need to spend the money, especially if you have a lot invested like batteries and a case and other accessories, if the P3 is accomplishing what you need, I'd skip the P4. If the next gen Phantom has features like retracting landing gear and a 360 degree camera (like a Typhoon H) then it's worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I do not have experience with a Phantom 3 but my 4 does not drift at all. 95% of the time it's as solid as it could be. The only odd thing I experience is in the beginning of the flight when taking off and hovering - it'll drop a couple of feet of altitude. Taking off up to 8 feet and hovering for like 30 seconds is now a routine thing for me just to make sure it adjusts itself to whatever the issue is and from there on, using GPS and GLONASS it's as stable as it could be.

As for crashing flying sideways. Have you ever considered flying out and mapping a path in forward direction and then having software fly for you sideways on the same path?

I'll have to give that a try. Have not had a problem since they added that feature in a firmware update. Not sure if it will work for some of the short shots I am lining up, though.

I've had the P3P and now a P4, at this point I don't think you need to spend the money, especially if you have a lot invested like batteries and a case and other accessories, if the P3 is accomplishing what you need, I'd skip the P4. If the next gen Phantom has features like retracting landing gear and a 360 degree camera (like a Typhoon H) then it's worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

So your P4 is about the same when it comes to GPS drifting? All the P3's I have had seem moody at times. Sometimes they are pretty steady and sometimes they like to drift a little. I do all the calibrations too, so no clue why some days it gets moody. lol Gets me a bit nervous when I am in tight spaces.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1