Phantom 3 virgin here!!

Reaction score
Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought me an advanced. Any advice or warnings before I get her airborne? Been flying a p2v so I'm not new to DJI but they are miles apart I know. So thanks for any comments in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: beamerbuilder1
you're miles ahead of where most of us started with DJI. Just get familiar with the manual, the DJI Go AP and the new SMART batteries (you'll love them actually).

How are they smarter batteries?

They have built-in circuitry that handles charging and discharging duties. There is a good deal about this in the manual and it has some good advice in there too.

Oh ok. I didn't know there was a difference. I thought p2 batteries were pretty smart. Lol. Thanks

Oh ok. I didn't know there was a difference. I thought p2 batteries were pretty smart. Lol. Thanks

Auto discharge was the biggest for me from a P2, those didn't discharge automatically and would be ready more often. Now I'm finding I'm checking and charging before flying. Also the distance, the P3A with Lightbridge seems so solid connection so far away, however what annoys me is the automated voice and beeping on RTH and other warnings. P2 with the H3-3D and iOSD and monitor didn't have nearly as much features, and now to control the camera settings, take pictures and start/stop recordings seems like magic.

I went straight in with a P3A however I think I watched just about every YouTube video there was for the P3A, I'd recommend watching some too as reading can get a bit boring, at least you can watch grown men make mistakes sometimes and give great advice and tips other times

Oh yeah! I've been watching videos on the whole phantom series since the beginning. That's how I knew I needed an upgrade. Was saving for the p4 but I got to where I had enough for a 3 and I'm dying to use light bridge so I'm starting back over with the saving but I'll have the p3 to tide me over lol. Thank y'all for takin time to comment

Reactions: jaseman007
Oh yeah! I've been watching videos on the whole phantom series since the beginning. That's how I knew I needed an upgrade. Was saving for the p4 but I got to where I had enough for a 3 and I'm dying to use light bridge so I'm starting back over with the saving but I'll have the p3 to tide me over lol. Thank y'all for takin time to comment

Looks like DJI just dropped pricing on the P4, and added some deals with extra batteries. I wonder if people were still buying the P3 line since it was at a great price for performance and features.

Looks like DJI just dropped pricing on the P4, and added some deals with extra batteries. I wonder if people were still buying the P3 line since it was at a great price for performance and features.
You might be right in that assumption. So many friends of mine have gone with the P3Pro due to significant price drop. It didn't take them long to figure out that forward only collision avoidance and updated follow me weren't worth the price of admission.

If you need the forward facing collision system then you just aren't flying it right.

Jas

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought me an advanced. Any advice or warnings before I get her airborne? Been flying a p2v so I'm not new to DJI but they are miles apart I know. So thanks for any comments in advance.

Do what I did and read all the horror stories and learn how to avoid them. For example, never take off with anything less than a fully charged battery. Don't take off near metal. And I just found out the hard way, do not take off from granite rock. Recovered the bird ok, but had compass errors. Just read everything you can before flying....the manual, the forums, youtube, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using PhantomPilots mobile app

When I got mine and it was my first drone, I put it on beginner mode and flew with no wind in a large field. The thing is so stable it's unreal. A day later I was confident enough to start flying unfettered. Love flying it along the coasts as there is rarely people around.

It feels so safe you can get a little over confident. So I'd say respect it! 30 flights down and no crashes. Touch wood it continues!

Do what I did and read all the horror stories and learn how to avoid them. For example, never take off with anything less than a fully charged battery. Don't take off near metal. And I just found out the hard way, do not take off from granite rock. Recovered the bird ok, but had compass errors. Just read everything you can before flying....the manual, the forums, youtube, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using PhantomPilots mobile app
What you said. I spent hours watching drone crash compilations on YouTube to see the mistakes people make. It seems flying backward or in too much wind or low in trees are the biggest culprits.

Please read this thread: Just lost pro 3 in the ocean.

Welcome aboard and to the club..

Thank elguapo as well as everyone else for comments advice and welcomes. I've gotten a few flights in with the new bird and wow. The jump in tech and features from p2v to p3a is astounding.

Thank elguapo as well as everyone else for comments advice and welcomes. I've gotten a few flights in with the new bird and wow. The jump in tech and features from p2v to p3a is astounding.

You are welcome Big Dog aside from always making sure to never liftoff on a partially charged battery in mind the following:

1. CSC in the mid-air (Combination Stick Command)
The newbies favorite way to crash the drone by pulling the sticks to the down inner corners \ / or outside corners / \ and stop the motors
Solution: Never do this movements on a sticks while in the mid-air, unless in case of emergency

2. Propeller shoots off
Of course the self-tightening props is a great invention of humanity, but some of the users only slightly push it till it stops to turn and think that it’s enough, which brings aircraft to shoot the props off on a high RPM
Solution: Never let the propellers loose on a motor. No matter if you are using self-tightening props or quick release props, always make sure that every propeller sits tight on a motor before taking off.

3. RTH Crash
You shooting the beautiful building (tree, hill, tower etc.), and flying behind it for the better shot, suddenly you lose the RC signal, because the building got on the way between the aircraft and the remote controller. So automatic go-home function turns on and your aircraft crashes into that building on a way back home.
Solution: Set your return to home altitude higher than any obstacles (trees, buildings etc.) in your area.
MC settings> Advanced Settings> Failsafe mode

4. Auto landing far from home
Once your aircraft is out power, you will get low battery warning and 10 seconds to cancel the RTH. After canceling the RTH you still can keep flying, but once your battery will hit the critical battery level, aircraft will start auto-landing. Pilot cannot cancel the landing, but the roll, pitch and yaw are still controllable. That’s a good luck if it lands on an opened spot, but if there is a trees or water… you know…
Solution: Go back home straight after low battery warning, don’t force your drone to fly till it’s totally out of power.

Fly safe and happy landing...

You might be right in that assumption. So many friends of mine have gone with the P3Pro due to significant price drop. It didn't take them long to figure out that forward only collision avoidance and updated follow me weren't worth the price of admission.

If you need the forward facing collision system then you just aren't flying it right.

Jas
I think your friends are wrong. I don't have one but I will say that the list of differences between the two is substantial. The only reason I haven't upgraded is the camera which is only a little better than the P3P. If I were starting new I would go with the 4. Redundant systems, better shell, faster, and slightly better camera. Then you also have the forward facing collision system. Just my .02

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic