Phantom 3 Standard - Prop balance checks

Reaction score
Question : What prop balancer do you use to check your props ?

Why do I ask ? I have various balncers but all rely on fact of passing an axle THROUGH the prop. But the Phantom props have the silver and black caps on that mean axle cannot pass through.

I resorted to using a small cross point screwdriver vertical and letting the prop centre itself on the tip. All props sat nicely level. But I'm sure there must be a proper item to do this ?

Nigel

I usually use my SpeedyTM prop balancer. You can find some other commonly used prop balancers and prop rods here.

As for balancing the props, this is how I do it:

Reactions: gvsukids
I usually use my SpeedyTM prop balancer. You can find some other commonly used prop balancers and prop rods here.

As for balancing the props, this is how I do it:

Many thanks for speedy reply ... and appreciated.

I do have a couple of comments though ... when you first show the axle with cones on - you show both cones points inwards. APC etc. advise one cone point into rear of prop hub, front cone to have flat against prop hub. Because the rear shaft hole is centred accurately but front may not be.

Second the way of fixing tape 'along the blade' ... I fly helicopters as well as fixed wing and usual practice is to fold a length ACROSS the blade width starting and ending at trailing edge of blade. This then stops any 'ridge effect' to airflow on the blade ...

Just comments and not meant in any way to be rude.

Back to balancing - as you show - the problem is that the axle cannot be passed all way through as with a normal prop.

As to fitting props ... my props as new out of box - all 8 of them spin up very easy, in fact I don't see any indication of tightness at all ... a quick flick with a finger and they spin all the way home.

Nigel

No worries. That's not my video.

There are no Phantom prop rods that pass all the way through the prop.

Question : What prop balancer do you use to check your props ?

Why do I ask ? I have various balncers but all rely on fact of passing an axle THROUGH the prop. But the Phantom props have the silver and black caps on that mean axle cannot pass through.

I resorted to using a small cross point screwdriver vertical and letting the prop centre itself on the tip. All props sat nicely level. But I'm sure there must be a proper item to do this ?

Nigel
Here you go, it comes with the required rod for the DJI props.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019SC4KC4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this rod and this balancer.

The rod has a left handed thread on one end and a right handed thread on the other, and rests on the balancing wheels

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav