Phantom 3 Standard Lost Signal RTH short distance

Reaction score
HI
My Pantom 3 standard has just recently Stated losing signal and then initiating a RTH Max Distance semmes to be 200 ft then randomly lost signal errors happen and RTH starts until it is close again. This is a new behavior. I have tried different locations and change of android devices and it is the same. I have reset the controler link and repositioned antenna with the same reoccuring event. Has anyone got any Ideas? HELP!

Welcome to the forum!

How many flights before this happened?
How much time had passed between when it worked good then bad?
Any recently updates, software, firmware, etc?

Rod

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm also new in forum.

I have same problem. First 10 flights it was quite normal, no problem to go 150 m altitude and take nice pictures, drone one month old. Now 30m is enough to trigger RTH function. I have tried in many places and same situation happens. I have calibrated controller, compass before every flight and re-connected controller to drone. Any thing to do or is it have to send back for repairs.

Br,

Tero

I had this and found the DJI go and DJI go4 were conflicting on my phone.....check this.

This is becoming a very common problem on the "Standards". Plenty of threads about it, but no fixes mentioned yet.

It is NOT a location, wi-fi interference, app software or firmware problem. This issue randomly seems to start with most P3S's. From new mine was fine for about four months, others have it start much sooner while some still have no problem.

$5 windsurfer .....

RTH happens when 5.8Ghz control signal drops out .... so add windsurfer and focus signal to the AC from RC.

As to whats wrong ? No-one knows, it seems to be a recurring thread from various owners.

I have a heavily modified P3S and it does give varying ranges even same route from day to day ... why ? No idea !

Nigel

HI
My Pantom 3 standard has just recently Stated losing signal and then initiating a RTH Max Distance semmes to be 200 ft then randomly lost signal errors happen and RTH starts until it is close again. This is a new behavior. I have tried different locations and change of android devices and it is the same. I have reset the controler link and repositioned antenna with the same reoccuring event. Has anyone got any Ideas? HELP!
This fixed my P3S loosing signal and very short range .
Check to see if your antenna wire actually attached to the board inside controller.
On mine it was not .The SMA connector was attached and had a dab of "glue" but the wire itself was detached from the connector. Rough handling of the antenna can cause this.Very flimsy.
Replaced the wire and antenna and all is well
Good luck
Jose

This fixed my P3S loosing signal and very short range .
Check to see if your antenna wire actually attached to the board inside controller.
On mine it was not .The SMA connector was attached and had a dab of "glue" but the wire itself was detached from the connector. Rough handling of the antenna can cause this.Very flimsy.
Replaced the wire and antenna and all is well
Good luck
Jose

This could be problem because everything worked well before and suddenly problem. I don't know is it wise to open controller if there is warranty still available. I have not handled controller roughly but if build quality is poor that can be happened during moving controller. Not normal but could happen if it's not well done.

Still curios thing is that many times during this problem signal is full but suddenly it's not connected. There is no area that signal is weaker and then disconnect.

Br,

Tero

Last edited:
I have to say it was my fault because soon after getting the drone the remote slipped from my hands and I grasped it by the antenna kind of roughly .Just that was enough of a tug on the wire to break it .
Yeah mine was barely making contact so I would also get intermitent good signal and disconnects.
It might not be your problem at all but its a possibility.
Took me a while before gathering enough guts to open the controller.Turned out very easy to do hard part was seperating it at the point on top where antenna is. Be carefull there wiggle the two halfs together .Go easy and watch lots of utube vids .
Jose

@terohrvl
Welcome to the forum!
Sounds likes (no fun) happen to my twice, both times it was after a firmware update.
You didn't state if you think this was firmware related.

@Sprocky seems to be one of the few that wasn't related to firmware.

As said, the remote is easy to take apart, its the clip by the antenna that makes it scary.
I had took both of my remotes apart, but decided that it wasn't a loose connection as others have found.

I kind of doubt they look inside the remote unless they are suspicions of something. They probably run a test and if it fails they send it to repair department. Both times they sent me a different remote back with my phantom, both times it was under warranty.

It would be nice if anybody has had this distance issue and sent there unit in out of warranty. What did it cost or was it no charge?

@Wedgetail
Thanks for the post, but isn't DJI Go4 for the P4, or I'm I missing something?

@solentlife
Windsurfer does nothing to fix this problem. I built my own it worked pretty good, it only worked when the Phantom works correctly.
This problem is very frustrating, I did many tests that I have the flight logs of. I have shared some of them in the past. When it works and when it doesn't. I had my Phantom at 100' sitting on a wooden chair powered on, no motors running, the signal would go good, weak, and no signal. repeating and randomly.

To all that hasn't seen this thread please read this post.
Phantom 3 standard Rc signal lost
The full thread....
Phantom 3 standard Rc signal lost

I was the first to post this problem and was very frustrated.
This actually the first thread I had ever started on this forum!
As new thread starter I'm under 10.
Phantom 3-Std Weak Remote Signal

Rod

Hey folks,

I've this issue with my brand new P3S. I couldn't reach 90 meters til lost RC signal. First I though that it couldn't be a hardware problem, because my Quad is brand new and it was working, limited but working. Then I've done loads of research and read that there are many P3S that has theirs antenna disconnected inside the RC.
As I live in Brazil and DJI doesn't have assistence here, I decided to open my RC and the antenna wire was disconnected. I've just plugged it and holded with hot glue. It works, my P3S is reaching 900 meters without problems!!
IMG_2825.JPG
IMG_2828.JPG
p

That's strange that it would pop off when it was siliconed in at the manufacturer. Often those transmitters will burn out when left on too long with no lead. I'd say you got lucky! Well done on the diagnosis and repair! Thanks for sharing.

Never have an issue with my standard. Got it last year and so far so good with 40 flights. I do use a windsurfer on the controller.

I have the same issue but only when I fly from my backyard. No problem when I'm out in the open (beach, mountain, park, etc.). The windsurfer didn't help. Too much interference where I live. Ordered the ARGtek kit and should be arriving tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get a better reception with it.

I also have similar problem with me p3s it will go 800 feet out and pops up rc signal lost and initiates Rth i've tried everything software upgrades and downgrades I even recently purchased the argtec antennas and installed! Still same problem all this happened after I updated the software I have about given up the only thing that I can figure is there something going on inside the bird it's self got to be something with the motherboard one of those sensors or components has to be bad something must've happened during the software upgrade if anyone has any ideas I don't know what else to do!

When I start shooting a video,and I fly too far away,and the live feed says 'disconnected',is the video still recording? Anyone had a similar experience?

When I start shooting a video,and I fly too far away,and the live feed says 'disconnected',is the video still recording? Anyone had a similar experience?
Yes,

Try it. :)

If the SD card is large enough it may be still recording when you find it. :oops:

Rod

In my case it did not keep on recording,but it did save the video that was recording until I lost signal and the RTH got activated.
Sorry I'm confused..

The video on your mobile device?
or
The video from the SD card from the Phantom?

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik