Phantom 3 Standard Loses Video Signal Before RC signal

Reaction score
So yesterday I flew my P3S about 600m away in CE mode all stock which was a new record for me and was getting the 'Image Transmission Signal Weak' warning and the video was really laggy and kept freezing however I still had full bars on the RC signal. I was wondering if this is normal as sometimes I will completely lose video signal at much less distance and the app will say 'No Signal' followed by 'Disconnected' and the RC light will turn red but will still have complete control over the Quad and Gimbal Tilting. I have never had the RC signal lost warning, it's always the video signal that disconnects first. Most videos I watch on Youtube lose RC signal before they lose the video feed which makes me wonder if this is normal. From my understanding the P3S uses 2.4ghz for the Video feed and 5.4ghz for the RC control and 2.4ghz is supposed to be able to go further correct me if i'm wrong. Help Appreciated Thanks

AyziVQF.jpg

Last edited:
When everything is working correctly, as I have seen it, they usually drop out close to the same time / distance.
What is most important, how many flights have you had before this problem and did you do any recent updates?

When everything is working correctly, as I have seen it, they usually drop out close to the same time / distance.
What is most important, how many flights have you had before this problem and did you do any recent updates?

It's pretty much been this way since I got it out of the box I did the firmware update before my first flight so It's hard to tell if it was an update that caused this problem :p I'm just gonna keep doing more testing in different places and see how it goes

I see this all the time? The Phantom loses video signal way before its lose RC signal. Last week drone started to lose signal at an around 1000 feet away this usually happy 3000 plus feet away, this time when the phantom lost its video signal and then regained the signal the video on the DJ GO app didn't refresh, and I did not know the whereabouts the drone was from me.. I had initiation the return to home. This phantom was the current firmware and Go software.

I see this all the time? The Phantom loses video signal way before its lose RC signal. Last week drone started to lose signal at an around 1000 feet away this usually happy 3000 plus feet away, this time when the phantom lost its video signal and then regained the signal the video on the DJ GO app didn't refresh, and I did not know the whereabouts the drone was from me.. I had initiation the return to home. This phantom was the current firmware and Go software.

I know I can fly further but I'm scared too when I have no video or telemetry :/

Hi All. Was trying not to do a new post but I can't seem to find a clear answer. This post sounds the most like my issue so I'll piggy back on it if that's ok.

All is well with control and flight but the FPV video signal flickers and freezes. I can be as close as 50 meters and it still happens. Purchased about a month ago. Antenna pointed "up" not "out", latest firmware, new iPad mini2 and fully charged everything...

I saw something about having the video frames per second or resolution too high?? Are there different settings for the recorded video and the FPV feed?

Like I said I don't lose RC signal just flicker / freeze on the FPV. Makes me super butt-tight and takes the fun out of it!!

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

If you want, you can update the tx-power from 17dbm to 27dbm for the 2.4GHz using the script below (use at your own risk). My P3 4K never lose video signal now. Instead rc signal gone before the video signal at 1700m (5600ft)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi All. Was trying not to do a new post but I can't seem to find a clear answer. This post sounds the most like my issue so I'll piggy back on it if that's ok.

All is well with control and flight but the FPV video signal flickers and freezes. I can be as close as 50 meters and it still happens. Purchased about a month ago. Antenna pointed "up" not "out", latest firmware, new iPad mini2 and fully charged everything...

I saw something about having the video frames per second or resolution too high?? Are there different settings for the recorded video and the FPV feed?

Like I said I don't lose RC signal just flicker / freeze on the FPV. Makes me super butt-tight and takes the fun out of it!!

Any ideas? Thanks!!!
Look at: Mobile Device Fixes
I have the video cache turned off.
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

Great. Thanks guys. I'll take a look at this stuff.

Jeganx what do you mean by "use at own risk". Just because it's a mod and your not a authorized Phantom tech... ...Consult your tax professional kind of thing?? Or is there a downside I should be aware of? Thanks

If you want, you can update the tx-power from 17dbm to 27dbm for the 2.4GHz using the script below (use at your own risk). My P3 4K never lose video signal now. Instead rc signal gone before the video signal at 1700m (5600ft)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi Jeganx, I'm beginner in Phantom, I've bought a P3S several days ago. It lost video signal in about 90-100 meters. Can I follow this video to fix this problem? Or I need something first, cause actually I don't know what is tx-power...
Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi Jeganx, I'm beginner in Phantom, I've bought a P3S several days ago. It lost video signal in about 90-100 meters. Can I follow this video to fix this problem? Or I need something first, cause actually I don't know what is tx-power...
Many thanks

Pretty sure it can help solve your video signal problem. If you notice, a lot of P3S users complained the reduced range after firmware updates (you can find the thread here somewhere). We are not sure what DJI changed in firmware but some people made a discussion thread here about ftp range mod. It's basically trying to manually change the 2.4GHz video signal transmission power (tx-power) from 17dbm to 27dbm. The video is the fruit of the discussion. What it does when you run djiupdate.exe:
1. It will edit the djiled.sh file in your rc and drone and activate telnet capability.
2. It will save a script watchlog.sh to your rc that can change your tx-power from 17-27dbm.
3. It will edit the djiled.sh file in your rc to enable the watchlog.sh script to run automatically everytime you turn on your rc and drone.

Those steps can also be done manually without the exe file, but If you don't understand what you're doing, do not try to change the files in your rc and drone manually as some people already bricked their rc and drone. Mostly because they edit a file using standard notepad that save the file at 8-bit instead of the 7-bit. This will definitely brick the rc and drone.

However, if you made any modification on your drone prior to this, make sure it is returned to factory setting first. You should also do this at your own risk. Make sure you read everything and you should also see the other video about changing tx-power from 17dbm to 27dbm on youtube. They have several videos and once you understand, you will notice the different and what actually being done to your P3S. Also just in case, you should also see the thread where people get their drone bricked and how they solve it.

Reactions: Hungluu165
Great. Thanks guys. I'll take a look at this stuff.

Jeganx what do you mean by "use at own risk". Just because it's a mod and your not a authorized Phantom tech... ...Consult your tax professional kind of thing?? Or is there a downside I should be aware of? Thanks
Because some P3S and P34K users didn't read the whole instruction and try to change files on their rc and drone and got bricked. I'm not an expert, I just got my drone a month ago and I don't want anyone get into trouble because of the decision they made based on my input. The 27dbm tx-power is definitely working and will increase the video signal. however, before I made the update, I read the whole thing, saw all the tutorial videos and followed the whole instruction to the dot. Now my P3 4K video signal have never been so strong, I lose the rc signal at 1700m but still have 100% video signal. I thought the power consumption will reduce flying time, but so far I didn't notice any different than before the update.

Got it Jeganx. To clarify I can follow same procedure for my PS3A correct.

Thanks again.

Got it Jeganx. To clarify I can follow same procedure for my PS3A correct.

Thanks again.
You mean P3A? I think its going to be different as P3P and P3A uses lightbridge? I can't confirm, you need to find out with the experts.

Pretty sure it can help solve your video signal problem. If you notice, a lot of P3S users complained the reduced range after firmware updates (you can find the thread here somewhere). We are not sure what DJI changed in firmware but some people made a discussion thread here about ftp range mod. It's basically trying to manually change the 2.4GHz video signal transmission power (tx-power) from 17dbm to 27dbm. The video is the fruit of the discussion. What it does when you run djiupdate.exe:
1. It will edit the djiled.sh file in your rc and drone and activate telnet capability.
2. It will save a script watchlog.sh to your rc that can change your tx-power from 17-27dbm.
3. It will edit the djiled.sh file in your rc to enable the watchlog.sh script to run automatically everytime you turn on your rc and drone.

Those steps can also be done manually without the exe file, but If you don't understand what you're doing, do not try to change the files in your rc and drone manually as some people already bricked their rc and drone. Mostly because they edit a file using standard notepad that save the file at 8-bit instead of the 7-bit. This will definitely brick the rc and drone.

However, if you made any modification on your drone prior to this, make sure it is returned to factory setting first. You should also do this at your own risk. Make sure you read everything and you should also see the other video about changing tx-power from 17dbm to 27dbm on youtube. They have several videos and once you understand, you will notice the different and what actually being done to your P3S. Also just in case, you should also see the thread where people get their drone bricked and how they solve it.

On 1st day flying p3s, I updated it to the latest firmware and after that I downgraded the drone to firmware 1.5.7
Could you show me how to reset the drone to factory setting?
Thank u so much for your explanation, I really appreciate...

Sorry. Fat fingers. Yes lightbridge.

Anyone have info on dealing with this problem with the lightbridge system. I'm sure it's been covered so if anyone is a better searcher than I, I won't be offended if you throw some former posts at me.

Thx

On 1st day flying p3s, I updated it to the latest firmware and after that I downgraded the drone to firmware 1.5.7
Could you show me how to reset the drone to factory setting?
Thank u so much for your explanation, I really appreciate...

The firmware downgrade is not a problem I believe. I have never done factory reset myself and I can't seem to find it how.

The firmware downgrade is not a problem I believe. I have never done factory reset myself and I can't seem to find it how.

Hey do u know the disadvantages of using this software to change to 27dbm? battery drain faster? Or it may cause any software error?
And can I change back to 17dbm when needed?
Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan