Phantom 3 Standard Controller Issue

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just got my first drone, a phantom 3 standard. Have been using it for a few weeks, and decided my phone was too small of a screen, so I ordered a Inspire tablet mount to install. Of course, i was drilling the hole for the mount a little too fast and cut the light gray wire going to the (I think)square antenna in the upper corner. I tried to splice the wire back together and shrink wrap it, but I am guessing i did a poor job, because now I can barely connect to any satellites and it switches back and forth from alti to gps. Is DJI Part 97 the correct part to replace that antenna? Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the forum!
At least you didn't crash ;)
Phantom receives the GPS signal, so unless you where trying put the bigger phone on the bird, that is not the cause.

Rod

i cut the gray wire going to the 2.8gh antenna inside the remote control. I need to replace that antenna. there is not enough slack to splice it back together.....would you happen to know if that part is available?
it is the antenna behind the s1 switch.

20161017_152705.jpg

thats what i was thinking, but someone mentioned that was the antenna actually in the drone. this is on a green board, part 97 does not seem to be.

thats what i was thinking, but someone mentioned that was the antenna actually in the drone. this is on a green board, part 97 does not seem to be.
If you replying to what I said, I meant as a joke, sorry, but for sure.

"now I can barely connect to any satellites and it switches back and forth from alti to gps"
Your antenna on your remote would not be the cause of poor satellite signals.

Rod

If you replying to what I said, I meant as a joke, sorry, but for sure.

"now I can barely connect to any satellites and it switches back and forth from alti to gps"
Your antenna on your remote would not be the cause of poor satellite signals.

Rod
Hi Rod
Not the main antenna in the center, but the two 2.4ghz squares on either side. What are those for then? Everything was fine until i cut that gray wire. I understand ut connects to gps, but what do those two antennas then do the drone?

Hi Rod
Not the main antenna in the center, but the two 2.4ghz squares on either side. What are those for then? Everything was fine until i cut that gray wire. I understand ut connects to gps, but what do those two antennas then do the drone?
They receive the live video and the telemetry (data) from the phantom, the one in the center sends the signals to the phantom for controlling it. So your satellite count (GPS) is received in the top of the Phantom glued a believe to the inside of the top shell, and its status is sent back to the remote to the two square antennas and then resent from the remote to your mobile device on the WiFi freq to the to the app.

Rod

It shows satellites connected on the app. 7 right now. But shows will not allow gps mode. Would one of the antennas missing be the culprit then.

Good question, I guess the phantom can't see the remote?
Maybe somebody will help us out.

Rod

Hi,
The two internal antennas operate on 2.4 ghz and are for receiving video and telemetry. The external antenna operates on 5.8 ghz and is for controlling the drone.
If it is the internal antenna ( the one you have removed on the right that is the same as the one on the left) I would go with part 97.This is what I would order.
PLEASE WAIT FOR A MORE TECH PERSON THAN ME TO CONFIRM.
Hope you get sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Its odd. I just took it outside. The one internal square antenna is completely out if the remote. It did connect to 7 sateliites and did go to p gps flight mode. I hovered it, but thats about all i wanted to risk. Do you know if that part can be purchased. Would be cheaper to replace the antenna instead if buying a controller

Please look at dji part 97.I think these are what you are after.Looks like you can only buy a pair.
Google and you will find them.

Please look at dji part 97.I think these are what you are after.Looks like you can only buy a pair.
Google and you will find them.

Hi Scoot
I am almost positive part 97 is the receiving antenna inside the drone. They have 3m tape on them to adhere to the case. The controller antennas are soldered on a green pcb board.

Yes,I see what you are saying now.Sorry for the bum steer.I had a search but they don't seem to come up.
You could of course at this point upgrade with a antenna upgrade.
[emoji106]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.