Phantom 3 standard controller charge issue

Reaction score
I have a phantom 3 standard and it is straight out of the box. My controller has problems charging. My charging cable is different than the flight battery charger. I have the cable plugged into my USB plug that I use for my iPhone. This is what happens:

When I first got it out of the box and started charging, everything was good for about 15 min. It then stopped charging (I could tell because the LEDs stopped flashing) and it would not stop beeping. The controller was angry at something but I had no idea. I turned it off and then back on and it did the same thing. Turned it off and back on and it hasn't done it since.

What it does do however is stop charging at about 55% and won't charge past that point. Something really weird is that it will continue charging if I change it to a different outlet. I'm not sure if that, more or less, resets it or what.

After messing with it for a while the battery drained and I have it charging now to see if it will fully charge over night and keep an eye on it. I've seen other people have issues with their controllers charging as well. Any new ideas or announcements on this issue?

Thanks guys,

Nick

Update from this morning...

The controller was off after charging last night. I turned it on and it wasn't charged. Only one LED was lit and the power switch was red and continuously beeping. I turned it off and back on, still the same thing. I switched to a different outlet and it's back to charging. I have no idea what's going on with this thing.

I think what happened was that it charged to its 54%, stopped charging I the middle of the night, and then used up the battery. I think the red beeping means either a controller error and/or critical battery.

Page 23 of the manual explains the LED/audible indications.

Update from this morning...

The controller was off after charging last night. I turned it on and it wasn't charged. Only one LED was lit and the power switch was red and continuously beeping. I turned it off and back on, still the same thing. I switched to a different outlet and it's back to charging. I have no idea what's going on with this thing.

I think what happened was that it charged to its 54%, stopped charging I the middle of the night, and then used up the battery. I think the red beeping means either a controller error and/or critical battery.
Based on what you described, the controller battery seems to be defective. You might want to contact DJI and ask for a replacement.

Btw, have you tried a different micro USB cable and/or USB charger?

Now i'm not a rocket scientist or anything., but I'd say that you need to look on the right hand side of your controller for a peel open type of sealing plug. Open that plug and plug in the round plug from your P3 charger. You are trying to charge from the data port. Hth

On a standard it is on the bottom. You are charging with it powered off?

When you say a different outlet is this a wall outlet. If yes maybe the power draw is to much on your USB power supply and it turns off. Unplugging it and inserting to a different outlet is resetting the power supply.

Last edited:
Hey everyone sorry about not getting back to you for awhile. I'm not having any problems with it anymore. I had been charging the controller while the power is on to see where the battery level was. It charges no problem.

And yes, with the standard I only have the plug in on the bottom of the controller :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj