Phantom 3 Standard camera gimbal issue - won't look down past a certain point

Reaction score
Hi all

I got my P3S off eBay a few months ago and I've been more than happy with it. Sadly it does have an issue with the gimbal.

I've put it on YouTube with a description of the issue.

Description here too:

It looks down at about 45 degrees and stops (45 degrees of the rough estimate for the sake of explaining the rest of the issue), if I leave it at the same 45 degrees it will shake, as if the camera is still trying to go past 45 degrees, if I bring it back to 44 degrees it's fine again, no shake. The setting of the gimbal are all fine, 0-100 should mean full range of motion to look down. I've searched for others with the same issue as haven't found another case on forums or phantompilots or YouTube.

At the start of the video I move the camera manually to show when I get resistance moving manually, you'll notice on startup the camera doesn't point down during the gimbal dance too.

I think it's likely to be an issue with the gimbal motor. But I'll be happier if someone more knowledgeable can say for sure.

Thanks to anyone with constructive advice. :)

Hi all

I got my P3S off eBay a few months ago and I've been more than happy with it. Sadly it does have an issue with the gimbal.

I've put it on YouTube with a description of the issue.

Description here too:

It looks down at about 45 degrees and stops (45 degrees of the rough estimate for the sake of explaining the rest of the issue), if I leave it at the same 45 degrees it will shake, as if the camera is still trying to go past 45 degrees, if I bring it back to 44 degrees it's fine again, no shake. The setting of the gimbal are all fine, 0-100 should mean full range of motion to look down. I've searched for others with the same issue as haven't found another case on forums or phantompilots or YouTube.

At the start of the video I move the camera manually to show when I get resistance moving manually, you'll notice on startup the camera doesn't point down during the gimbal dance too.

I think it's likely to be an issue with the gimbal motor. But I'll be happier if someone more knowledgeable can say for sure.

Thanks to anyone with constructive advice. :)
When the AC is off, the gimbal should be loose and relaxed in all positions.
By the looks of your video, there seems to be a bind in the pitch motor of the gimbal. Possibly a bent motor shaft of sort. When you purchased from EBay, was it new or used.
If it was used, it's possible it may have had a slight crash or incident.

Yes it was used. I've feared it had a crash. The seller was upgrading, that was the story anyway. Broken gimbal is another good reason to upgrade!

There was no mention in the description but oh well. I'm happy to get a 'pitch motor's replacement and fit myself, if that sorts it I'll be over the moon.

Thanks
Andy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20