Phantom 3 Standard - built in video wifi range

Reaction score
im familiar with 2.4ghz wifi and the distance limitations on Computer wifi but my question is the range shows up to 1km for the remote that controls the drone. The wifi fot video, what's the approximate range for the app to connect to drone which I don't believe will go 1 km. Is that a reasonable assumption? I live in the country so there is very little if any interference.

You shouldn't have any problem with video range within the distance limits of the AC. I've actually lost RC contact and still had video on my P3S.

Well im waiting on my argtek range extender to arrive. from youtube videos, in the country, they were getting 7000 ft, **** close to P3 Pro distance range so im excited to get that working and see how far I can go. is the wifi transmitted from the remote and the video is carried from P3 to remote then wifi to phone?

...what's the approximate range for the app to connect to drone which I don't believe will go 1 km....
Your lack of punctuation makes your question a little hard to follow in the above line. You don't think the video will go 1 km or you don't think the aircraft will go 1 km? Also, just to be clear on terminology, the app doesn't connect to the aircraft, the RC (remote controller) does. Not trying to be an a$$ and I assume you're a newbie (but I could be wrong) so I don't want to scare you away but if your questions aren't clear, you're likely to get some wrong or confusing answers.

Last edited:
Well im waiting on my argtek range extender to arrive. from youtube videos, in the country, they were getting 7000 ft, **** close to P3 Pro distance range so im excited to get that working and see how far I can go. is the wifi transmitted from the remote and the video is carried from P3 to remote then wifi to phone?
The WIFI is transmitted from the AC to the RC, then to the phone via WIFI. Be VERY careful installing the range extender. Do everything in slow motion, make sure you connect the wires to the right places. Be very careful and don't pull the connectiors off the board inside. SLOW and EASY. Hope it works well after you do it. I installed a DBS mod on mine and it works great. I don't know about the Argtek, but the DBS is very directional.

Thank you all for your response. I'm still trying to get use to the terminology. Yes I am a newbie to the drone world :) I thought the wifi would connect like the cheap drones, not through the RC which is AWESOME. I've been adding Ext. atennae's to routers for years so im not stranger to installing pigtail cables. My next big question I have is I discovered a cheaper chinese version of the argtek which is this device

Accessories Signal Booster Increase Control Distance for DJI Phantom 3 Standard

I know this isn't Argtek but I was wondering if anyone had tried this particular Extender and if it worked as well as the true Argtek. I'm thinking it probably won't but I figured I would ask anyways. Its significantly cheaper than the 75$ ArgTek. I have no problem shelling out the money for it but if the cheaper version works as well, id just get that. Thanks for your input and assitance!

Thank you all for your response. I'm still trying to get use to the terminology. Yes I am a newbie to the drone world :) I thought the wifi would connect like the cheap drones, not through the RC which is AWESOME. I've been adding Ext. atennae's to routers for years so im not stranger to installing pigtail cables. My next big question I have is I discovered a cheaper chinese version of the argtek which is this device

Accessories Signal Booster Increase Control Distance for DJI Phantom 3 Standard

I know this isn't Argtek but I was wondering if anyone had tried this particular Extender and if it worked as well as the true Argtek. I'm thinking it probably won't but I figured I would ask anyways. Its significantly cheaper than the 75$ ArgTek. I have no problem shelling out the money for it but if the cheaper version works as well, id just get that. Thanks for your input and assitance!
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

There are a few members here who report 6500', 7000' and more with stock P3S so don't discount it too much. It is a decent machine at a great price for what you get. The Arg Tek has mediocre reviews when compared to the DBS panel but you may have good luck with it... some do. I know some members with the DBS on a P3S that are getting over 16,000' ! A signal booster is not really necessary. Long range like that is only for range junkies... your not a range junkie are ya? :D
I use a DBS with my P3S for the improved video signal as I always lost that first. Well worth the money. Another alternative is to look for a used one from someone parting out a P2, they used the same panel.

Looked at the link... $36 ain't so bad! :D If there is any quality to the components it would probably be better than stock. Keep in mind you need to open the TX and do a little minor surgery to it for any of these antenna mods. No slip ups or it'll cost ya.

Reactions: Pharm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic