Phantom 3 Standard - Add Payload to Scare Birds ?

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Phantom 3 standard and we are actually using this as a method to scare birds away in an agricultural setting.

I am wondering what possibilities there are to add a battery powered noisemaker to this phantom 3 and how that might work.

How do modifications work? What happens to balance and hover? Is the phantom able to auto compensate?

Also, can I remove the camera and replace it with a noisemaker? Or is the camera so integrated that if I remove it, the Phantom 3 won't launch/fly?

The noisemaker I'm considering adding will be quite small and probably only weigh in 30g-60g.

be careful, I scared a flock of geese yesterday (was during a return to home) flying by them and almost crashed into a few lol.

The P3S by itself will scare the birds without adding something on.

I wouldnt recommend taking off the camera and flying without it.

be careful, I scared a flock of geese yesterday (was during a return to home) flying by them and almost crashed into a few lol.

The P3S by itself will scare the birds without adding something on.

I wouldnt recommend taking off the camera and flying without it.

Two mile flight!! Any mods at all ??

Two mile flight!! Any mods at all ??

yeah i had the itelite dbs mod antenna. if you are looking for more distance, the dbs antenna works great. I just returned my P3S for the P3A after the price drop today though.

yeah i had the itelite dbs mod antenna. if you are looking for more distance, the dbs antenna works great. I just returned my P3S for the P3A after the price drop today though.
How much that run you for the dbs antenna?

Hi,

I have a Phantom 3 standard and we are actually using this as a method to scare birds away in an agricultural setting.

I am wondering what possibilities there are to add a battery powered noisemaker to this phantom 3 and how that might work.

How do modifications work? What happens to balance and hover? Is the phantom able to auto compensate?

Also, can I remove the camera and replace it with a noisemaker? Or is the camera so integrated that if I remove it, the Phantom 3 won't launch/fly?

The noisemaker I'm considering adding will be quite small and probably only weigh in 30g-60g.

What kind of noisemaker?
Sorry, I'm new to the P3 so not sure about the balance question at hand.
The prop noise should be enough to startle most birds but you may have to get close enough that a scattering could cause a collision which wouldn't be good.
Around these neck of the woods, small explosions either from squibs or propane cannons due well to disperse pesky, persistent flocks. :)

I'm looking at mounting a small piezo high decibel alarm to it that can run off lithium batteries - so somewhat similar to a smoke-alarm.

And yeah, the idea is to get more noise out of it so I don't have to move the drone in so close to start risking tree collisions. We aren't doing cannons or explosions so we can avoid disturbing our neighbors. The indication is that if you use the drone consistently for several weeks (i.e. flying 3 times including dawn and dusk) you can stress the birds enough that they will leave the area and go to some place less 'stressful' then you keep flying at normal times through the day to keep them away. This looks to be less invasive than cannons.

I'm looking at mounting a small piezo high decibel alarm to it that can run off lithium batteries - so somewhat similar to a smoke-alarm.

And yeah, the idea is to get more noise out of it so I don't have to move the drone in so close to start risking tree collisions. We aren't doing cannons or explosions so we can avoid disturbing our neighbors. The indication is that if you use the drone consistently for several weeks (i.e. flying 3 times including dawn and dusk) you can stress the birds enough that they will leave the area and go to some place less 'stressful' then you keep flying at normal times through the day to keep them away. This looks to be less invasive than cannons.

A small piezo buzzer should be no problem, a set of prop guards probably are more mass than a simple buzzer and 18650 cell. ;)

You may be able to do it from the ground using a laser pointer of sufficient power. 50-100mw at 450, 520, and 532nm is effective with geese in my experience.

A weather balloon in the 3 meter range can carry a plethora of noise makers and lights to fend off the feathery foes as well and can stay tethered for weeks if needed.

That is the Phantom 2 version. The more expensive one is due to being modded for the Phantom 3.
You are right. The panel is the same. But the bracket needs to be specifically designed for P3S. Ignore my reply, everyone. Thanks for the correction.

Hi,

Interesting! You may be interested in the Parrot Disco that looks to launch this year. It is a fixed wing drone with a 45 minute flight time and virtually impossible to crash. Just wondered if this would help if you don't need hover functionality etc. Also, would a garish colour help scare birds? You could paint on some luminous green...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20