Phantom 3 remote interference

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm flying a PP3 and going to try and light a NG flare that's 150' tall at work. I plan on tying a soft drink can with the bottom cut out and hanging about 25 feet below the bird. I will soak a rag in diesel inside the can with a 2' wire leader. My question is I have the same bird for personal use and would like to film this as I do it. Will flying these so close to each and using both remotes in the same area have any issues with interference of any kind? With all the negative press the birds get I would like to show another benefit they have. This will be done during a public liaison with several different police and fire departments present. The media has been invited but have not receive any RSVP yet. Sorry for being so windy !!!!

Skyler:
-
I assume that's a natural gas tower with a burn flame on top, no?
Anyway, good for you for getting us some positive press for a change. Let's hope for very light winds at your GZ. I don't think you should have a problem with another bird adjacent to you because of the number of quads we see flying at those big trade shows.
Good luck and show them how it's done !!!

There have been lots of reports of video feed breaking up when 2 or more phantom controllers are in the same area I've experienced it a few times myself. Make sure your video transmission is set to manual and select non conflicting channels. Make sure you you practice this beforehand so you don't look silly on the day.
Now moving on to the main part of your task. It's been my experience that showing off with a phantom in front of people often ends badly. Make sure you practice exactly what you are doing a good few times, bringing a flaming rag soaked in diesel up into the air with a drone with people around doesn't sound like the greatest ideas, is there no other practical way of accomplishing this without the drone?
There's just something about this that makes me uneasy. My suggestion is to not do it but if you do go ahead practice this many times first. Good luck.

Fire in the sky with a quads prop wash don't make good work. To much to go wrong with that senerio. Oil soaked rag on fire below 4 props pushing high level off oxygen at it are for a nice flare up. Fire dropping down to ground level not good. Sorry but this is scary !

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
There have been lots of reports of video feed breaking up when 2 or more phantom controllers are in the same area I've experienced it a few times myself. Make sure your video transmission is set to manual and select non conflicting channels. Make sure you you practice this beforehand so you don't look silly on the day.
Now moving on to the main part of your task. It's been my experience that showing off with a phantom in front of people often ends badly. Make sure you practice exactly what you are doing a good few times, bringing a flaming rag soaked in diesel up into the air with a drone with people around doesn't sound like the greatest ideas, is there no other practical way of accomplishing this without the drone?
There's just something about this that makes me uneasy. My suggestion is to not do it but if you do go ahead practice this many times first. Good luck.
Ok thanks, I will try the manual setting and look at the channels. We do have another means of lighting the flare but that fails some times and we have to shut down if we can not light it back. Been down 8 hrs
before. Will practice several times for sure. Thanks again

Fire in the sky with a quads prop wash don't make good work. To much to go wrong with that senerio. Oil soaked rag on fire below 4 props pushing high level off oxygen at it are for a nice flare up. Fire dropping down to ground level not good. Sorry but this is scary !
Yeah, but on the other hand if it works I know several companies that will be looking at a drone for the same work. I hope to have it hanging down far enough to have minimum prop wash. Then the fire will be contained in a soda can with the bottom cut out and slits cut for air.
I will know next week as I plan on the first test.

They told a guy one time if he sailed that far he would fall off the earth.

Skyler:
-
I assume that's a natural gas tower with a burn flame on top, no?
Anyway, good for you for getting us some positive press for a change. Let's hope for very light winds at your GZ. I don't think you should have a problem with another bird adjacent to you because of the number of quads we see flying at those big trade shows.
Good luck and show them how it's done !!!
Thanks man. Yes it's natural gas. I will have some one open the valve once I'm in position over the nozzle. Hope to try it next week.

How high will the gas flare light up to? At first will it shoot up higher compared to when it's normally lit? I wouldn't use any string or rope because that's just going to burn and continue lighting up to the drone. Wire all the way would be the only way. I still don't think it's a great idea.

How high will the gas flare light up to? At first will it shoot up higher compared to when it's normally lit? I wouldn't use any string or rope because that's just going to burn and continue lighting up to the drone. Wire all the way would be the only way. I still don't think it's a great idea.
I will be lighting the two pilots which should only go about a foot above the nozzle. I will move away and the main valve will be opened and hopefully the pilots will light the main burner which will have a ten foot flame. I was going to use a wire about for the first few feet the string up to the bird. Even been thinking about a small section of break away string in case it got hung and I needed to break it with a little tug. Hope not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1