Phantom 3 "Ready-to-Fly Out of the Box" Discussion

Reaction score
home-cover@2x-7b8963ce33ddf966ddbd69a94833ecab.png

From DJI's website.......................

Phantom 3 Series

"Easy to fly and ready to go out of the box, the iconic DJI Phantom series makes flight accessible to everyone."

Do you think they should put a disclaimer on that statement? I'm sure it has cost many newbs their expensive new copter. I'm sure it helps to sell gazillions of them, but is it "really" true? Let's discuss it!

Reactions: Fplvert
Cold beer, here! And popcorn too!

So what do you think? Buy one, pull it out of the box, and start flying! Then watch in terror as it starts spinning and crashes! I cannot imagine flying out of the box! But I did a ton of research BEFORE buying, so I knew the ins-and-outs of what needed to be done pre-flight. It also dawned on me why so many have obviously NOT read the manual....................... it says it's ready to fly! Why read the manual?!

nope. this is the reason why we see a lot of people crashing it on their first or second flight lol.

Out of the box, literally, the props aren't even installed. And unless you're pretty close to the fact-o-ree......you just might wanna calibrate that compass first......so.........

Uhhhhhhh NO

Cold beer, here! And popcorn too!

So what do you think? Buy one, pull it out of the box, and start flying! Then watch in terror as it starts spinning and crashes! I cannot imagine flying out of the box! But I did a ton of research BEFORE buying, so I knew the ins-and-outs of what needed to be done pre-flight. It also dawned on me why so many have obviously NOT read the manual....................... it says it's ready to fly! Why read the manual?!
I just read the Quick Start Quide that came with the Phantom. Should I do more research?
image.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
Aren't RTF and ARF hobby terms that most RC folks would understand?

(Ready to Fly and Almost Ready to Fly)

home-cover@2x-7b8963ce33ddf966ddbd69a94833ecab.png

From DJI's website.......................

Phantom 3 Series

"Easy to fly and ready to go out of the box, the iconic DJI Phantom series makes flight accessible to everyone."

Do you think they should put a disclaimer on that statement? I'm sure it has cost many newbs their expensive new copter. I'm sure it helps to sell gazillions of them, but is it "really" true? Let's discuss it!

DJI doesn't a need disclaimer but should remove that false and misleading statement. They should also quit writing user manuals and find a multilingual technical writer to do the job.

Reactions: dirkclod
SInce most quadcopter enthusiasts build their own quadcopters, saying something is RTF (Ready to Fly) or flyable out of the box simply means you don't have to assemble the whole thing. At least that's what I thought. However, the terms in and of themselves do not mean don't read the manual, don't learn a little bit.

However, with that said, I opened up my P3P when it arrived, and first off charged the battery. While charging, I perused the manual. When the battery was done, I took it outside, put on the props, popped in the battery, calibrated my compass and was off and flying. No problems, no issues, and none since. And no, I've not flown quadcopters before.

It amuses me how everyone tries to convince others about all the practice, and all the preparation stuff they think must happen before someone could fly a P3P. How complicated it all is... Nothing could be simpler.

It's great living out in the desert because no neighbors ever bother me, nobody cares if I'm out flying, filming cacti and jackrabbits...

SInce most quadcopter enthusiasts build their own quadcopters, saying something is RTF (Ready to Fly) or flyable out of the box simply means you don't have to assemble the whole thing. At least that's what I thought. However, the terms in and of themselves do not mean don't read the manual, don't learn a little bit.

However, with that said, I opened up my P3P when it arrived, and first off charged the battery. While charging, I perused the manual. When the battery was done, I took it outside, put on the props, popped in the battery, calibrated my compass and was off and flying. No problems, no issues, and none since. And no, I've not flown quadcopters before.

It amuses me how everyone tries to convince others about all the practice, and all the preparation stuff they think must happen before someone could fly a P3P. How complicated it all is... Nothing could be simpler.

It's great living out in the desert because no neighbors ever bother me, nobody cares if I'm out flying, filming cacti and jackrabbits...

You have no idea the number of egos you just deflated. Shame on you!

Better get their permission first before filming them... D'OH!

Reactions: Tashier
It is RTF out of the box, doesn't say anything about the pilot being ready to fly.
No disclaimer needed at all, sure these forums would be boring everytime a new phantom was released. Imagine once a year NOT having our "what's a csc" "my bird just fell from the sky" "what's atti" "dji have the worst customer service ever".
We'd have no fun without flaming the new pilots ;)

It is RTF out of the box, doesn't say anything about the pilot being ready to fly.
No disclaimer needed at all, sure these forums would be boring everytime a new phantom was released. Imagine once a year NOT having our "what's a csc" "my bird just fell from the sky" "what's atti" "dji have the worst customer service ever".
We'd have no fun without flaming the new pilots ;)
Well DJI does have the worst customer service ever. That is not a fallacy.

BNF... let's not go there!

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.