Phantom 3 Random Flip

Reaction score
I had an incident a couple weeks ago where the phantom 3 randomly flipped.

so here is what happened:

I got the phantom out of the case, then turned on my remote, connected my tablet, and then slide a battery in the phantom. I then turned on the phantom, set the tablet get live video. Waited a bit to get the all green for GPS signal. So i took it off and hovered it for about 1 min and tested the controls on the phantom, Once i did that, it randomly just flipped and smashed into the ground. I think it was a software glitch. My gimbal is shot. But I then replaced the props, I armed the quad, sure enough i did not have a motor failure, everything seemed to work fine. Except the gimbal in two pieces.

I took it off, and it is extremely hard to control. It wont fly correctly at all, randomly have glitches and doing its own thing. So i landed it, it bounced off the ground, but i got it down uneventfully. I flipped through all the flight modes, and still nothing. I have fixed a many phantoms in my life, I have yet to see one do this. I have yet to see or hear about this problem as well.

I might upload new FW to the phantom (that part of the gimbal is sitll intact. hahah) to see if that is the fix. But I am down 500 odd dollars for the gimbal :mad:

anyone have a phantom think its a 3d model?

I had an incident a couple weeks ago where the phantom 3 randomly flipped.

so here is what happened:

I got the phantom out of the case, then turned on my remote, connected my tablet, and then slide a battery in the phantom. I then turned on the phantom, set the tablet get live video. Waited a bit to get the all green for GPS signal. So i took it off and hovered it for about 1 min and tested the controls on the phantom, Once i did that, it randomly just flipped and smashed into the ground. I think it was a software glitch. My gimbal is shot. But I then replaced the props, I armed the quad, sure enough i did not have a motor failure, everything seemed to work fine. Except the gimbal in two pieces.

I took it off, and it is extremely hard to control. It wont fly correctly at all, randomly have glitches and doing its own thing. So i landed it, it bounced off the ground, but i got it down uneventfully. I flipped through all the flight modes, and still nothing. I have fixed a many phantoms in my life, I have yet to see one do this. I have yet to see or hear about this problem as well.

I might upload new FW to the phantom (that part of the gimbal is sitll intact. hahah) to see if that is the fix. But I am down 500 odd dollars for the gimbal :mad:

anyone have a phantom think its a 3d model?
Um, open an RMA and send DJI the log file. Why just accept it and shell out another $500 if it truly wasn't your fault?

well I know they were spinning the correct way as it hovered fine for about a min, then suddenly, it flipped. I flew it numerous times before the days before the incident without removing the props. it seems software related, cause it wont fly correctly at all anymore.

is there any other way to have it wrong?

well I know they were spinning the correct way as it hovered fine for about a min, then suddenly, it flipped. I flew it numerous times before the days before the incident without removing the props. it seems software related, cause it wont fly correctly at all anymore.

is there any other way to have it wrong?
The props were on right if it flew-- you could have lost one or a motor stopped.

Yeah I thought that too. I was gonna pop the top and check each esc, and each motor wire. It would be rare if a wire came undone, but I have seen it before. Especially in second hand machines. Someone else does shotty soldering and it eventually works its way loose.

But I'll wait to after the warranty process is done. If they can't do anything I'll do some digging in the inside.

Reactions: bobmyers
I'm brand spankin new to this forum. Trying to learn the ins and outs so I can enjoy the hobby. My question is, aren't you supposed to do pre-flight calibrations every time you do the first flight of a session?? The OP didn't mention anything about compass calibration.

I'm brand spankin new to this forum. Trying to learn the ins and outs so I can enjoy the hobby. My question is, aren't you supposed to do pre-flight calibrations every time you do the first flight of a session?? The OP didn't mention anything about compass calibration.
Do you have a Phantom or just wondering.

Do you have a Phantom or just wondering.
Ordered the P3P on Black Friday. Arrives Monday. I really want to fly it but I'm kind of paranoid with the issues I've been seeing on the forums. Might return it unopened. I like for my products to have most of their engineering problems resolved before I invest. I know it's quite a bit of tech for the $$ and and it's a quality "entry level" drone. But I'd be willing to wait until the next generation comes out. Kind of curious as to whether or not the Phantom "4" will have reinforced arms. Also curious to see what the GO Pro version will offer.

Ordered the P3P on Black Friday. Arrives Monday. I really want to fly it but I'm kind of paranoid with the issues I've been seeing on the forums. Might return it unopened.

I new it..
If you dared to make the purchase then make sure you have read this thread.

New P3P and you guys are scaring me | DJI Phantom Forum

If then you have made up your mind to return it.
Please post " I' am going to return my unopened P3P ".
:)

I have a friend that experienced the same flip over.. He thinks it had something to do with a very high KP index with strong geomagnetic storms causing the compass to go out of whack.. Definitely a possibility as the compass is very sensitive and errors can be produced by simply holding your hand completely around the compass..

I check the Mod values before each flight. No need to calibrate each session.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31