Phantom 3 Pro tried to run away from home.

Reaction score
Hi all,
I had a bit of a problem on Saturday.
I was flying in the back yard when I wanted to try RTH to make sure if worked correctly.3

I pressed the RTH button on the controller, was advised verbally that it was RTH. The drone then went up to around 140 feet (as per my settings) and turned toward home. Then it started coming toward home as a quick speed, then when it was just behind me, it turned toward the left and started going in a north direction.

After a few seconds of panic, I got it under control and brought it back to me an landed it.

I do not know when went wrong, but chances are it was pilot error, but just don't know what I did wrong.

I have extracted the DAT file from the drone and have been trying the upload the file to Log Viewer, but keep getting this error. I would appreciate any help or advise please. There is nothing wrong with my internet connection. I have tried to Upload it from my home computer and also work.

Thank You,

upload_2017-10-23_9-12-7.png

Try uploading the flight file (per instructions) here, then post the results. There might be a clue in that:

DJI Flight Log Viewer

Try uploading the flight file (per instructions) here, then post the results. There might be a clue in that:

DJI Flight Log Viewer

Thanks. That is what I have been trying but keep getting the same error.

It could have been a pretty girl drone, but he needs to ask permission first. He is too young to go out by himself.

Thanks. That is what I have been trying but keep getting the same error.
The Phantomhelp.com server is working properly.
Are you trying to upload a .dat file? You should be using the .txt file from your app.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

Reactions: Mxh666
The Phantomhelp.com server is working properly.
Are you trying to upload a .dat file? You should be using the .txt file from your app.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

Yep. That was my problem. I was trying to upload the DAT file by mistake. I will upload the .txt file tonight when I get home.

Thank you both again Meta & Grammaton for your help.

If you want to check out the DAT file, you can view it with DatCon or CsvView.

I pressed the RTH button on the controller, was advised verbally that it was RTH. The drone then went up to around 140 feet (as per my settings) and turned toward home. Then it started coming toward home as a quick speed, then when it was just behind me, it turned toward the left and started going in a north direction.

After a few seconds of panic, I got it under control and brought it back to me an landed it.
Most of what you describe is confirmed by the recorded flight data.
That looks like a good back yard for test flying.
Most of the things that puzzled you all correspond to your joystick inputs.
The thing that puzzles me is that the data shows the Phantom was in RTH until 1:37.7 when it was only 44 feet from being above home.
After that, it goes back to P-GPS mode and responds to your controls for speed, height and turning but there is a note next to every line in the CSV data that says Cruise.
This is what shows when you are in RTH with hands off the sticks and it's not usually showing when you cancel RTH.

I'm not sure what caused that glitch but there's no sign of the Phantom trying to run away.
Keep an eye on it and perhaps it will turn out to be a one-off thing.
Go and try a few more RTH trials and see how it goes.

Reactions: beb and BudWalker
Thanks Meta4. Hopefully it was a one off. I started moving the joy sticks when I saw it approx my position quite fast and didn't look like it was going to stop. I think I must have over reacted.

Yes, my backyard is 110 acres and perfect for flying around on my own "private property"

Thanks again,

Reactions: randyvanscoy
Most of what you describe is confirmed by the recorded flight data.
That looks like a good back yard for test flying.
Most of the things that puzzled you all correspond to your joystick inputs.
The thing that puzzles me is that the data shows the Phantom was in RTH until 1:37.7 when it was only 44 feet from being above home.
After that, it goes back to P-GPS mode and responds to your controls for speed, height and turning but there is a note next to every line in the CSV data that says Cruise.
This is what shows when you are in RTH with hands off the sticks and it's not usually showing when you cancel RTH.

I'm not sure what caused that glitch but there's no sign of the Phantom trying to run away.
Keep an eye on it and perhaps it will turn out to be a one-off thing.
Go and try a few more RTH trials and see how it goes.
Yeah, this one is kinda weird. At 93.473 it dropped out of RTH into GPS+ATTI even though it thought the controller was saying RTH. The stick inputs started .2 secs later.
upload_2017-10-23_4-55-55.png

After that the response to the sticks seems normal.

The higher sampling rate in the .DAT may show that the switch from RTH coincided with the stick inputs, although I don't know why that would be. Also, the eventLog Stream in the .DAT might offer some clue about the reason it switched from RTH.

Reactions: beb and macoman
@Mxh666, did you press the RTH button at any time after your Phantom started flying back to the home point?

@Mxh666, did you press the RTH button at any time after your Phantom started flying back to the home point?
I looked at a few of my flights. The OSD.flightAction value will go from RC_OnekeyGoHome to None when the RTH button is used to stop the RTH.

How about if it's cancelled from DJI GO?

How about if it's cancelled from DJI GO?
Don't know about that, but I would assume it's the same as if it was cancelled using the button. Or, at least, the OSD.flightAction would show a different value than RC_OnekeyGoHome if the RTH was terminated by the Go App. But, maybe this should be tested.

Yes, testing would be a good idea. It'll be interesting to see what @Mxh666 remembers doing though. I've never seen RTH auto cancel itself.

Yes, testing would be a good idea. It'll be interesting to see what @Mxh666 remembers doing though. I've never seen RTH auto cancel itself.
You're right. The only reason I can think of to cancel an RTH is if the AC were commanded to do so by the pilot.

Hi again.

I remember using the sticks after it moved behind me on the RTH trying to get it back to me.

It kept moving away from me and am sure that I cancelled RTH.

However, one thing that I recall that may have caused this issue is when I cancelled RTH, I went to flip the switch to Atti mode to fly it back manually. But realised that the switch was in F Mode all the time I was flying. Not sure if that was the cause.

I tested all four combinations - initiate RTH with either the button or the Go App and then terminate the RTH with either the button or the GoApp.In all 4 scenarios when RTH initiated OSD.flightAction became RC_OnekeyGoHome and then changed to None when RTH was terminated.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20