Phantom 3 Pro - compass won’t stay calibrated

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Newbie here so please be kind.I have a Phantom 3 Pro and it is requiring me to recalibrate the compass every time I use it. Even if I change the battery I have to calibrate it.
Also getting the message “ATTI Mode” sometimes when calibrating.
Is this a bad compass or some thing else?

It sounds like a bad compass. The compass calibration is always successful if done properly and in a known area away from metallic/magnetic interference.

I have a Phantom 3 Pro and it is requiring me to recalibrate the compass every time I use it.
Welcome to the forum!

What makes you think it is requiring you to calibrate the compass? We’ve seen others think the same only to realize later that it wasn’t so.

Yes calibration in open area if having a issue but should be fine at your house outside,,are you calibrating just cause it comes up when app opens or prompt on screen or a warning flash from your drone lights at rear,,if your getting atti mode when doin this ,your drone cant find satellites to get a lock ,,,mayby a screenshot of what you see to make you calibrate will help diagnose your issue,,,when it flys is it normal,if so the compass is fine,,if it all over the place and hard to control the compass needs doin otherwise dont touch it,over calibration not good either and hardly required...and dont calibrate inside the house.....added this picture,,,,is this what you see on start up ,,if so this is normal
Screenshot_20200615-194411_DJI GO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes calibration in open area if having a issue but should be fine at your house outside,,are you calibrating just cause it comes up when app opens or prompt on screen or a warning flash from your drone lights at rear,,if your getting atti mode when doin this ,your drone cant find satellites to get a lock ,,,mayby a screenshot of what you see to make you calibrate will help diagnose your issue,,,when it flys is it normal,if so the compass is fine,,if it all over the place and hard to control the compass needs doin otherwise dont touch it,over calibration not good either and hardly required...and dont calibrate inside the house.....added this picture,,,,is this what you see on start up ,,if so this is normalView attachment 119057

Thank you for the explanation. Yes, this is the screen I get. Making the assumption that it tested the compass and the highlight indicates the need to recalibrate. Seeing posts showing a lot of Phantom 3 Pros with bad compasses in manufacture.

Apparently a newbie issue. Just not aware this is normal and needs no action.

Appreciate your and other’s response on this question.

What makes you think it is requiring you to calibrate the compass? We’ve seen others think the same only to realize later that it wasn’t so.
Making the assumption that it tested the compass and the highlight indicates the need to recalibrate. Just not aware this is normal and needs no action.

Appreciate your and other’s response on this question.
You’re welcome. Like I said, we’ve seen it asked enough that I suspected as much right away. Glad you’re sorted now. If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Seeing posts showing a lot of Phantom 3 Pros with bad compasses in manufacture.
I’m not aware of any such issue. Will you please share links to those posts? Thanks.

Reactions: JoBe
You’re welcome. Like I said, we’ve seen it asked enough that I suspected as much right away. Glad you’re sorted now. If you are interested, click here for some tips that I often share with new P3A/P3P owners.

Great tips post. A lot of very good information there.

Reactions: Oso

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic