phantom 3 noise from one motor, do i replace?

Reaction score
hi guys,

today whilst flying my phantom and landing, it tipped over and landed on a prop, no damage thankfully but upon startup one of the motors is making a very mild kind of metallic noise, no visible damaged to motor or props and flies fine since then (only tested at low altitude), seems stable and moves around in all directions ok. But i am a bit worried now that it could fail, the noise is hard to replicate, when i turn the motor every now and again it makes like a very very discrete metal clanging noise.

i'm a bit concered about taking the lid off and changing the motor, took my fc40 and phantom 3 apart many times but having watched a take apart video of the P3 am slightly reluctant. Have looked at the price of motors here in the uk and assuming they are not fake (!) they are around 15 gbp.

should i change motor or live with it? anyone experienced anything similar?

cheers
k

If, after inspecting the motor to ensure nothing was inside it and, after running it once already and it's still making the noise, I'd replace it. Much cheaper than a bad crash. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

I think you already knew the answer before you asked, If you are doubting it then I would swap it out before the problem gets worse if just for the piece of mind when flying.

thx guys yes gonna have to, anyone done this before ? apparently the ESC's are on board is it a simple unsolder resolder job? anyone had any difficulties getting into the case ? i am also concerned about invalidating the warranty...

thx guys yes gonna have to, anyone done this before ? apparently the ESC's are on board is it a simple unsolder resolder job? anyone had any difficulties getting into the case ? i am also concerned about invalidating the warranty...
hi guys,

today whilst flying my phantom and landing, it tipped over and landed on a prop, no damage thankfully but upon startup one of the motors is making a very mild kind of metallic noise, no visible damaged to motor or props and flies fine since then (only tested at low altitude), seems stable and moves around in all directions ok. But i am a bit worried now that it could fail, the noise is hard to replicate, when i turn the motor every now and again it makes like a very very discrete metal clanging noise.

i'm a bit concered about taking the lid off and changing the motor, took my fc40 and phantom 3 apart many times but having watched a take apart video of the P3 am slightly reluctant. Have looked at the price of motors here in the uk and assuming they are not fake (!) they are around 15 gbp.

should i change motor or live with it? anyone experienced anything similar?

cheers
k

The sound that you are hearing is the bearing. To be honest you don't need to be worried at all about it especially if the sound is very faint. If you see concerned about it tho it's not difficult to simply swap out the ball bearing with another and saves you the trouble and risk of not doing a proper soldering job.

Reactions: chaghal
cool thats reassuring, yes i suspected a bearing. By the looks of demo videos it doesnt look a hard job but i still have to get the case off to get the motor out which i would rather refrain from doing. I intend to do some pretty hardcore mountain flying in the next few weeks , reckon its worth risking or should i change the bearing, how much hassle free flying could i expect?

The sound that you are hearing is the bearing. To be honest you don't need to be worried at all about it especially if the sound is very faint. If you see concerned about it tho it's not difficult to simply swap out the ball bearing with another and saves you the trouble and risk of not doing a proper soldering job.

Your answer astounds me. When a bearing is making noise above and beyond the noise of the props and other motors spinning, then it is too loud to simply ignore. Will YOU pay for his Quad when that bearing fails?

Reactions: AllanM and Jbundy63
Where the hell can you even get bearings for the new P3 motors? God I hate bunk internet advice.

I think it might be the the thingee, throat-warbling widgit.uk that took a hit from the Murcery retrograde. Not to worry, get lots of sleep, drink plenty of fluids, and in the morning you'll be right as rain! Beats the heck out of mucking around with that messy solder, I dare say!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues