Phantom 3 New Battery Procedure

Reaction score
Hello all, I have just ordered a second P3 battery, any tips/truths about how to prolong the battery life? I have read that for the first 5 flights you should charge battery to full and fly it to around 50%, land, recharge to full and fly again to 50% to 'maximise' the battery life, is that recommended? Cheers!

Old question, unanswered? Since my P3P will be arriving soon, I have been researching the topic. I found a great article at Battery University

I will quote portions:

"Environmental conditions, not cycling alone, govern the longevity of lithium-ion batteries. The worst situation is keeping a fully charged battery at elevated temperatures. Battery packs do not die suddenly, but the runtime gradually shortens as the capacity fades.

Lower charge voltages prolong battery life and electric vehicles and satellites take advantage of this. Similar provisions could also be made for consumer devices, but these are seldom offered; planned obsolescence takes care of this."

I learned years ago as a photographer who went through a lot of batteries, to go with a slow charger vs. a fast charge. My fast chargers were reserved for urgent recharging needs. I will be looking for a slower charger for mine vs. the higher output one that comes with the Pro.

"Depth of discharge Discharge cycles

100% DoD 300 – 500

50% DoD 1,200 – 1,500

25% DoD 2,000 – 2,500

10% DoD 3,750 – 4,700"

We learn here not to fully discharge the batteries and it is best to use down to 10%.

The page linked to above has a LOT of information with more links to discharging batteries and calibrate them. In the discharging section they call us out :)

"Remote control (RC) hobbyists are a special breed of battery users who stretch tolerance of “frail” high-performance batteries to the maximum by discharging them at a C-rate of 30C, 30 times the rated capacity. As thrilling as an RC helicopter, race car and fast boat can be; the life expectancy of the packs will be short. RC buffs are well aware of the compromise and are willing to both pay the price and to encounter added safety risks."

Yes - this page has been brought up in threads several times over the past six months. The batteries being discussed at battery university are not Lipos. Li-Ions were the previous generation of lithium batteries. They have some similarities obviously, but they are not the same as Lipos.

Yes - this page has been brought up in threads several times over the past six months. The batteries being discussed at battery university are not Lipos. Li-Ions were the previous generation of lithium batteries. They have some similarities obviously, but they are not the same as Lipos.
LIPO and Li-ion are essencially the same battery chemistry. the substrate/solvent is different. The rules for Li-ion apply to Lipo and vice versa.

Is there a published or unofficial break-in process specific to the DJI batteries? I saw where someone mentioned running his battery down by running the motors with the props off.

1. Should they be ran props off? Aren't the props part of their cooling method? At a low RPM maybe not important

2. Think he said draining down to zero which I don't think is proper.

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers