Phantom 3 Floats

Reaction score
Yes, these look interesting.
image.jpg

DJI PHANTOM 3 FLOATS - STL, STEP / IGES - 3D CAD model - GrabCAD
If they will keep your Phantom 3 from sinking.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Paul wilson
Ya know, RHP, sometimes I like your threads.

This one may be productive, so I might like it.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Ist, I am always a little leary of CAD drawings and no actual pics. Probably means the designer didn't actually print and try his own design. Because a pic would be the FIRST thing I did after printing.

Next he wants someone to print them out and tell him how it goes. If he had a working design he would be telling us "how it goes" in pictures and video.

Then all of that mass becomes a giant sail while flying. It doesn't make for the best flying experience and they probably are going to show in video.

Finally, I played with trying to make a float for a scratch built multirotor I have. Judging from my experience, IF, and thats a BIG IF from 3D printed plastic, If that floats, it will be very top heavy and tip over at the slightest wave or even hard landing. But that might be better than heading for Davy Jones's Locker. Lots of folks have posted getting all or most of their Phantom working after a dip in the pool/lake/river. Even if it floats upside down, that would be better than never seeing again.

Yah, he says right in the description to print them and let him know how it goes. I'm skeptical if that's enough plastic to be buoyant enough to float the weight of the P3 with a battery in it. Especially top side up.

Aerial performance would definitely take a hit and the only water I'd trust those on would be a frozen lake.
The the camera is very close to the water in the rendering and would probably be even closer in reality.
And that's before you count any small waves and before the whole thing turns turtle and goes floats up.

Add salt to the water, and surf, and that bad boy has no chance over the shoreline at the beach!:eek:

Just because it can stay afloat doesn't mean it won't float upside down. Phantom 3 is very top heavy.

It's better than nothing, but if you're looking for something that is "better than nothing" you can just stick a $1 worth of pool floating noodle to keep the quad from sinking to the bottom.

Only $799.00 Canadian.
Man is our dollar sinking... But the Phantom, She Floats...

RedHotPoker

No one seems to be considering the physics of this. It's one thing on a seaplane with forward motion and hydroplaning designs to break the adhesion of the floats with the water. On a P3? Don't think so. And what about the water being splashed up on the craft from the downwash? Maybe I'm just taking this too seriously.

It will get much wetter if she sinks to the bottom... Me thinks. ;-)

The device/s are simply another way to save the Phantom from total loss.
Davey Jones Locker, is a final resting place, not a stop over.

RedHotPoker

That looks like i
That looks like it's main safety feature is that you wouldn't be able to fly with it strapped to your Phantom.
The floats are 500 mm long!
The inventor hasn't made it or tested it and can't say what it weighs.
It's just computer doodling.
And at the ridiculous price he's asking for his concept, it's not going to be tested by anyone.

This "invention" is right up there with the space-saving inflatable anchor.

Reactions: Fplvert and SENC
That looks like i

That looks like it's main safety feature is that you wouldn't be able to fly with it strapped to your Phantom.
The floats are 500 mm long!
The inventor hasn't made it or tested it and can't say what it weighs.
It's just computer doodling.
And at the ridiculous price he's asking for his concept, it's not going to be tested by anyone.

This "invention" is right up there with the space-saving inflatable anchor.
I always liked the Opens on Impact Parashoot Development, too! ;)
image.jpg

Reactions: SENC
Looks more like snowshoes or the clogs a little Dutch boy might wear to stay above the mud.
Good try though.... keep designing and posting them here as your ideas are interesting.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik