Phantom 3 - December Release?

Re: Phantom 3 - December Release

4wd said:
a lot of us might go for an improved vision camera on a basically unchanged phantom 2 unit.
That would be the perfect result. The Inspire camera and gimbal weighs only 220 grams so it doesn't meed the big heavy Inspire to fly it. An inspired Phantom would fit the sub 2kg class for enlightened countries allowing commercial work without licensing and be a lot more affordable and portable than the Inspire.

This makes sense, since I just packaged my V2 and gimbal and put it outside for UPS to pick up. The gimbal was missing parts, but I also wanted to buy a V2, 2.0. Now, what do I do?

Did you mean this December or next December? They will be getting a late start for this season. If it is next Dec., I can't wait THAT long!

PhantomFanatic said:
This makes sense, since I just packaged my V2 and gimbal and put it outside for UPS to pick up. The gimbal was missing parts, but I also wanted to buy a V2, 2.0. Now, what do I do?

Did you mean this December or next December? They will be getting a late start for this season. If it is next Dec., I can't wait THAT long!

What do you mean you packed it?

Yeah, I mean this December, in time for xmas, like last year.
They are taking pre-orders for the Inspire, but maybe we´ll have a surprise with the Phantom 3.
if they delay the launch to mid 2015 they risk being eaten by GoPro´s drone announcement.

victor22 said:
PhantomFanatic said:

What do you mean you packed it?

Yeah, I mean this December, in time for xmas, like last year.
They are taking pre-orders for the Inspire, but maybe we´ll have a surprise with the Phantom 3.
if they delay the launch to mid 2015 they risk being eaten by GoPro´s drone announcement.

I put in a box to return it to Amazon. I bought it with the gimbal and the gimbal was missing
hardware. Plus, I wanted to upgrade to V 2.0. (Like I said above.)

Now, I'll wait and see if a Phantom 3 comes out!

You could be waiting a while. They just gave the P2 series an upgrade - so that would suggest that they aren't about to release its replacement. And there are no rumours of a new Phantom.
When the Phantom arrives it should be pretty good but I would hold my breath waiting for it - it could be quite a while.

I don't see much improvement in the Phantom 3 when it gets released in April 2015 --- except maybe a lightweight 4K camera about the same size as the current on the Vision Plus. Perhaps one with no lens distortion like the Inspire has. We probably would love Lightbridge but I just can't see that being added without a massive price increase. Flight times are going to top out around 20 min. since LiPo battery technology has hit it's limit. They will probably add Point-of-Interest circling and "Follow-Me" but these are mostly software gimmicks that few of us will have a need for.

Like I've said many times before --- DJI is following the same playbook as Apple. Apple introduced the iPod in 2001 and became very popular, but it was Apple's sneaky way of getting brand loyalty from a cheap product so customers would later pay a lot more $$$ for the iPhone and iPad. Same thing with DJI --- release the Phantom as an affordable entry product for drones, and then build customer loyalty so they later pony up a small fortune for the Inspire One, Inspire Two, etc.

If you hang out in the meeting rooms at Apple and DJI, you will hear the same mantra over and over --- "First you create the Fan Boys .... then exploit the Fan Boys and let the cash roll in!" :lol:

Launching a P3 now would be very stupid as it would cannibalize sales of the Inspire. Furthermore, they just gave the P2 a maintenance update which means it'll be a while.

As for the comparison to Apple, they're nothing like them. They may have stolen a few concepts but they are missing most of the key ingredients. I'm no Apple fanboy (nor DJI) but I respect Apple for their product stewardship. In contrast, DJI's product management looks haphazard and short-sighted.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20