Phantom 3 Crash - Need Some Advice

Reaction score
I thought it never would happen, but I have been bitten by an out of control Phantom 3, but the good news is, it was not major.

I was on my second flight of the afternoon, filming another amazing Colorado sunset. I had calibrated the compass on the first flight. I inserted the second battery, powered on the transmitter, powered on the copter, waited for green, did a final check and off we go! I was in "P" / GPS mode, camera was off.

I used auto take off, the copter lifted off and IMMEDIATEDLY went to it's left at full speed. It reached about 8 ft altitude. It was headed for a large tree trunk about 25 feet away. My thought was get it down and away from the tree, so left stick back, right stick back. It responded by changing direction back and down but still at full speed (Man those P3's can go!). Luckily it went into a bush. I broke my gimbal guard and the glass lens protector (the camera took a good shot but seems to be working, other than that just a few props.

I have two questions:

1) Will the flight data do me of DJI any good - and can you tell me how to retrieve it?

2) How would you handle this? Check out the copter and try it again? "Chat" with DJI about it!!

I appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks,

I thought it never would happen, but I have been bitten by an out of control Phantom 3, but the good news is, it was not major.

I was on my second flight of the afternoon, filming another amazing Colorado sunset. I had calibrated the compass on the first flight. I inserted the second battery, powered on the transmitter, powered on the copter, waited for green, did a final check and off we go! I was in "P" / GPS mode, camera was off.

I used auto take off, the copter lifted off and IMMEDIATEDLY went to it's left at full speed. It reached about 8 ft altitude. It was headed for a large tree trunk about 25 feet away. My thought was get it down and away from the tree, so left stick back, right stick back. It responded by changing direction back and down but still at full speed (Man those P3's can go!). Luckily it went into a bush. I broke my gimbal guard and the glass lens protector (the camera took a good shot but seems to be working, other than that just a few props.

I have two questions:

1) Will the flight data do me of DJI any good - and can you tell me how to retrieve it?

2) How would you handle this? Check out the copter and try it again? "Chat" with DJI about it!!

I appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks,
Wow! my first question is --did you ever get a compass error message? was there any metal close by such as auto, or powerlines? What was the ground-- were you on a concrete, or even a rock surface? If there was no metal or magnetic interference, then it has to be an issue with the Phantom.. and yes you should contact DJI.

as far as downloading the Flight Data-- I know it is done in the home screen under user--- I am just not sure of the process because I haven't had the occasion to look at mine. I suppose I need to learn also

Some one else will weigh in here.

I don't see any way a compass can cause this.
This has apparently happened to others as well, and one thought I have if they are lurking, did you use auto takeoff or were you flying the sticks? Just wondering if there is a commonality here.

I wouldn't trust auto takeoff. Others have been having issues with it such as it flipping upside down immediately.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

it happened to me the same thing several times and I tried IMU calibration that it did not solve the problem. I think that there is a strong interference with the compass in those cases.

Well to avoid any crash problems every time that I fly when I lift off I am hovering for a minute or so at low height in order to observe any drifting. I case of a drifting I can easy handle the drone and land it safely . I then restart the P3 and no drifting problem.

It seems to me a very simple task to bring a drifting P3 to land safely . I guess my Aligh 550PRO DFC experience makes the difference.

Reactions: tvckz
it happened to me the same thing several times and I tried IMU calibration that it did not solve the problem. I think that there is a strong interference with the compass in those cases.

Well to avoid any crash problems every time that I fly when I lift off I am hovering for a minute or so at low height in order to observe any drifting. I case of a drifting I can easy handle the drone and land it safely . I then restart the P3 and no drifting problem.

It seems to me a very simple task to bring a drifting P3 to land safely . I guess my Aligh 550PRO DFC experience makes the difference.

Smart enough! Did you have that issues before or after update?

^ well I never had the chance to fly before update because when I bought it before the first flight I updated to the latest firmware

i happened to me, and i was using the sticks (not auto) to take off.

I was using Auto Take Off when the copter took a hard left. It went left almost immediately. I have no problem switching to manual if that will address the problem (this is my 4th DJI), so manual is no problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl