Phantom 3 alternatives?

Reaction score
So I am a Phantom 2 owner, and i like it. i think its a great bird... overall very happy with it

I am looking at getting a new one and the p3pro sounds quite nice. added range, 4k, etc .

On the market today (i havent looked in about 8 months) is there anything out there (i know about the inspire) that rivals the p3?
Just want to make sure i make the right choice :)
thanks

I know the 3DR Solo is coming it's more expensive than the P3 but has some awesome features. Check out this youtube video :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Solo definitely has come in a caused a little stir but the Phantom 3 is still a much better value. Biggest drawback with the Solo is you are still depending on a GoPro's fisheye for aerial..fisheye and aerial should not be in the same sentence ;)

Solo definitely has come in a caused a little stir but the Phantom 3 is still a much better value. Biggest drawback with the Solo is you are still depending on a GoPro's fisheye for aerial..fisheye and aerial should not be in the same sentence ;)

That statement isn't entirely true as the lens can be changed on the GoPro and eliminate the fisheye altogether. Plus there many other features and frame rates that GoPro has that the P3 doesn't have.
Can the P3's camera be taken off and be used for any other purpose? NO!! So then tell us how good is it really.

NO!! So then tell us how good is it really.
For people like myself and others out there who don't need to take it off and use it elsewhere its perfectly fine.

Reactions: Ian H
I know the 3DR Solo is coming it's more expensive than the P3 but has some awesome features.
Is this the GoPro drone we've been hearing about?

Reactions: Gearie
You can pre-order one for $999 but then you have to spend $400 for the go-pro black + lens change to rid of the fish-eye. By the time you are finished you're into it for $1500-$1600. Haven't looked into the flight spec's so can't comment on flight time and such.

Reactions: MrTommy
You can pre-order one for $999 but then you have to spend $400 for the go-pro black + lens change to rid of the fish-eye. By the time you are finished you're into it for $1500-$1600. Haven't looked into the flight spec's so can't comment on flight time and such.
Don't forget the $400 gimbal.

Reactions: MrTommy and F6Rider
That statement isn't entirely true as the lens can be changed on the GoPro and eliminate the fisheye altogether. Plus there many other features and frame rates that GoPro has that the P3 doesn't have.
Can the P3's camera be taken off and be used for any other purpose? NO!! So then tell us how good is it really.

Jason, you make a great point but most people aren't going to go through the hassle of voiding their GoPro's warranty and getting a new lens installed. The one benefit that you mentioned of being able to use the GoPro for whatever else is a big plus that often leans people to go that route.

Is this the GoPro drone we've been hearing about?
No, this is not the "GoPro Drone". Rumors out of GoPro HQ could be that they may have their own aerial platform out for Christmas, strictly rumors.

Well put, we've been constantly hearing this justification and many are quick to understand the bang for your buck you're getting with the P3.

I have a gopro but the only time it flys is when I'm at the motocross track. The phantom cameras work too well to have to hassle with a gopro.

I enjoy flying my quad, not holding the controller and let the quad fly on its own (seems to be the way 3DR solo selling point). So I think I will still say the phantom is the number one choice of mine.

+ a million.
The removal of the go pro means that you shouldnt really factor the cost into the 3dr solo. The phantom with proprietary camera means you are stick with aerial and aerial only. Its nerve racking knowing that you are at dji's mercy when the gimbal goes limp because of a $10 flex cable that dji wont sell to the public because they can make a wad replacing the whole gimbal and camera for a thieving $800 or more...

Reactions: dirtdummy
Jason, you make a great point but most people aren't going to go through the hassle of voiding their GoPro's warranty and getting a new lens installed. The one benefit that you mentioned of being able to use the GoPro for whatever else is a big plus that often leans people to go that route.

No, this is not the "GoPro Drone". Rumors out of GoPro HQ could be that they may have their own aerial platform out for Christmas, strictly rumors.

Well put, we've been constantly hearing this justification and many are quick to understand the bang for your buck you're getting with the P3.
The GoPro lens just screws in not hard to change.

The GoPro lens just screws in not hard to change.

Not quite I had to completely take it apart because a lens cover was installed in such a way it could not be removed. But really taking it apart was no big thing.

When I did my 3+ silver and put it back together without micro to mini HDMI cable it took two tries to get a sharp in focus picture. After buying the cable and checking it again on TV it was perfect. Now I'm waiting for the new lens for the 3+black so I can start shooting in 4K.

Reactions: Advexure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic