Phantom 3 advance remote charging issue

Reaction score
When I plug my controller in to charge it only lights up the first 3 leds and stops charging.
I’m unsure how to fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I plug my controller in to charge it only lights up the first 3 leds and stops charging.
I’m unsure how to fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

either a bad battery or the charger board is faulty, ive seen issues with controllers only flashing one light before

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Try taking the remote apart and unplugging battery for a few seconds then reconnect it. I have to do that to mine every once in awhile. Same issue

either a bad battery or the charger board is faulty, ive seen issues with controllers only flashing one light before
I put a new battery in it and did the same thing.... so I did a rework on the main board and got the first 3 leds flashing.... before that it was just the 1st led flashing. But it’s just hit and miss really.

Hello

Just a quickie, did you by chance measure the voltage of the battery with a volt meter....

Waylander

Anyone know where this goes.... it dropped out from the controller when I pulled it apart.
20181205_062244.jpg

Yes 8.37v for both batteries

Umm 8.4 volts (4.2 V per cell ) is the max theoretical voltage available from a fully charged 2 cell LiPo, so at 8.37 V I would say your batteries are near as dammit fully charged, so the charging circuit in the RC would appear to be working.
Do you have access to an intelligent LiPo charger like this one for example:-

Turnigy Accucell-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger LiHV Capable - UK STOCK | eBay

With such a charger you could hook up your charged battery and see what it says regarding the state of charge, if it indicates fully charged, or just charges for a minute or so, that would indicate that the RC's charging circuit is working, but the LED logic circuit is not.

EDIT.... No sorry thinking about this your battery does not have a balance lead, so could not be charged on a LiPo setting, but this charger has both a battery voltage test function, and also a Pb ( lead acid battery ) charging function that might be used.

Just a quick thought you have checked that at switch on of the RC all 4 LED's flash briefly...?

Waylander

On the first press of the power button 3 leds light up then on the 2nd longer press of the button 4 leds light up then it goes back to 3 straight away

On the first press of the power button 3 leds light up then on the 2nd longer press of the button 4 leds light up then it goes back to 3 straight away

Well at 8.37 volts I would say that it is more than 90% charged, I'm not sure what charge state 3 LED's indicate.
On a flight battery 3 LED's would indicate 50 - 75% charged, one could assume that the same logic would apply to the RC.
You need another method to verify the charge level of the RC's battery. If the battery is fully charged it may be as I said, the RC's logic controller is miss-reading the charge level.

IF the logic reading is wrong it may not have great effect on flight times, with my Phantom 3 Pro, I can fly all 4 of my flight batteries with no significant reduction in the charge status of the RC's battery. Try it worse case controller shuts down and the RTH kicks in.

Waylander

Reactions: 3rdof5
Well at 8.37 volts I would say that it is more than 90% charged, I'm not sure what charge state 3 LED's indicate.
On a flight battery 3 LED's would indicate 50 - 75% charged, one could assume that the same logic would apply to the RC.
You need another method to verify the charge level of the RC's battery. If the battery is fully charged it may be as I said, the RC's logic controller is miss-reading the charge level.

IF the logic reading is wrong it may not have great effect on flight times, with my Phantom 3 Pro, I can fly all 4 of my flight batteries with no significant reduction in the charge status of the RC's battery. Try it worse case controller shuts down and the RTH kicks in.

Waylander
I think you are correct its charging but not reading the charge level correctly.
Thanks so much for your help guys.

Does anyone know what part of the P3A controller would need replacement if it's not reading the charge correctly?

I've tested the battery and its 8.38v so its charged but the controller is telling the DJI app it's only 50% charged

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1