Phantom 3 adv crashed - need your help please

Reaction score
Hello all,
In April this year I purchased a new phantom 3 advanced .Earlier this weak, while I was flying the drone near my home (where I usually fly it), the drone suddenly crashed.
The crash happened approximately 90 seconds after takeoff. Before the crash happened the screen showed "bad compass error" notification and I wasn't able to control it from that point.
There was no reason for the drone to crash (it didn’t hit anything and it happened during a normal flight under my house with no unusual elements or interruptions).
I found the drone, and from what it looks like there is nothing left to save.
Before every take off i check that the prop are sitting tight, and i let the drone hoover a few seconds next to me to see that everything OK.
I tried to upload the Flight file to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/, but for some reason the phantom help site just gives a blank page.
I attached the Flight log file here, and also added a link to healthydrones.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
I have to say that i am really sad right now because of what happened, but one thing i can say for sure that i don't want to leave this hobby because of that.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2016-08-23_[20-23-21].txt
    97.4 KB · Views: 277
Hello all,
In April this year I purchased a new phantom 3 advanced .Earlier this weak, while I was flying the drone near my home (where I usually fly it), the drone suddenly crashed.
The crash happened approximately 90 seconds after takeoff. Before the crash happened the screen showed "bad compass error" notification and I wasn't able to control it from that point.
There was no reason for the drone to crash (it didn’t hit anything and it happened during a normal flight under my house with no unusual elements or interruptions).
I found the drone, and from what it looks like there is nothing left to save.
Before every take off i check that the prop are sitting tight, and i let the drone hoover a few seconds next to me to see that everything OK.
I tried to upload the Flight file to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/, but for some reason the phantom help site just gives a blank page.
I attached the Flight log file here, and also added a link to healthydrones.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
I have to say that i am really sad right now because of what happened, but one thing i can say for sure that i don't want to leave this hobby because of that.
Bad news about the crash. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we all feel bad for you.

Did you happen to do a compass calibration or check your compass values just before this flight? From what I can tell, the area of your lift off does not appear at first glance to be a bad area but I have no way if knowing if you did a compass calibration there or did one elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoBe
Bad news about the crash. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we all feel bad for you.

My first thoughts are that it sounds very much like an example of doing a compass calibration in a bad area (magnetically influenced), and then having major compass/flight issues once the P3 has left the area with the magnetic influence. I am not saying that this was your issue, just what it sounds like based on your description.

Did you happen to do a compass calibration or check your compass values just before this flight? From what I can tell, the area of your lift off does not appear at first glance to be a bad area but I have no way if knowing if you did a compass calibration there or did one elsewhere.

Thank you for your help. no, the compass status was OK, no need to do compass calibration because its the same area that i always fly my drone.
And you right about the area.

Reactions: Oso
Do you have video caching turned on? If so, there should be a video file on your iPhone in one of the subdirectories at the same level as your flightrecords folder (connect to iTunes). If so - as painful as it might be to relive the last few minutes of flight. It might be useful to post it so we can all see what the phantom was doing before/during/after the compass error.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Were all the props still attached after the crash?

008bba5963a2e6f5159a342eededa9bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do you have video caching turned on? If so, there should be a video file on your iPhone in one of the subdirectories at the same level as your flightrecords folder (connect to iTunes). If so - as painful as it might be to relive the last few minutes of flight. It might be useful to post it so we can all see what the phantom was doing before/during/after the compass error.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Video caching turned off.

It was dark as heck so i didn't try to look for it. do You think this is the cause for the crash ?

It was dark as hell so i didn't try to look for it. do You think this is the cause for the crash ?

It's always possible that you lost a prop - which might cause a compass error as the bird goes bonkers. We have seen a couple ** highly anecdotal ** crashes of a similar sort with CF props. They are more brittle. I originally thought that was a feature, rather than a bug (takes impact energy off the rest of the aircraft) but I'm not so sure. I would, however, assume that if the prop failed the hub would still be there but perhaps the hub failed.

Anybody have a chance to look through the log? I can't do that at present, that's were most of the non anecdotal data will be found.

If that prop is not near the crash location it's more then likely the cause. Either hub failure or it was not on tight enough.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub