Phantom 2 Won't take off

Reaction score
Just got a Phantom 2. Watched a few videos online and followed instructions and felt I was ready. Went to a big field, did a compass calibration, Made sure S1 and S2 to were in up positions. Every time I tried to take off it tilted to the side on to the ground. Figured I needed to give it some more "Gas". I did so and it left the ground hard right headed for the trees. I tried to bring it down slowly before crash but it was going way to fast on an angle and flipped upside down on the props....Suggestions for a lowly Newbee

Joystick calibration? Do all joystick/switch/X1 calbration with the RC plugged in first (quad on), then plug in the quad and do it all again.

Almost positive this is a joystick calibration issue.

Some (but not all) joysticks need to be calibrated before their first use, personally mine didn't but once calibrated I am confident this will solve your problem.

Good luck!

I had the same symptoms when I first got mine. Would tip over when I pushed up on the left stick. Out of frustration, I tried pushing up on right stick only --> successful liftoff! What I have come to learn later is that the controller can be in one of two Modes. Yours may be in the wrong Mode, with the sticks somewhat reversed. Plug into the software, run the assistant (can't remember whether the controller assistant or the Phantom), and look closely for a button with the word "Mode 1" or "Mode 2". You can change the Mode with the assistant software.

Indy Phantasm said:
I had the same symptoms when I first got mine. Would tip over when I pushed up on the left stick. Out of frustration, I tried pushing up on right stick only --> successful liftoff! What I have come to learn later is that the controller can be in one of two Modes. Yours may be in the wrong Mode, with the sticks somewhat reversed. Plug into the software, run the assistant (can't remember whether the controller assistant or the Phantom), and look closely for a button with the word "Mode 1" or "Mode 2". You can change the Mode with the assistant software.

This is valid advice... we've had several people come around this forum asking for help describing this issue... the RC coming in Mode 1 (right stick throttle / left stick lateral) when the documentation and default out of the box SHOULD be Mode 2 (left stick lateral / right stick throttle).

Since it's a new Phantom anyway, one of the first things you should do is check the RC firmware.
Go to the DJI website and download/install both the RC assistant and Phantom Assistant.

plug the RC in via USB, run RC Assistant and allow the RC firmware update if there is one, and then run a standard calibration. it doesn't tell you to specifically but also move the X1 (gimbal) lever. I also believe the RC software is where you can confirm Mode 1 or Mode 2

THEN connect the Phantom and run Phantom assistant. Firmware updates if available are recommended but optional. on the Basic tab do Command Stick and Gimbal Stick calibrations. After these calibrations, you should be able to see the movement of all 4 sticks and the X1 lever, nice and smooth traversing the length of the bars.

NOW you're ready to fly! You already discovered an important concept - taking off gently will very often lead to a tipover. When you're ready to take off, do a full power takeoff until it's up in the air a few feet then you can let off the throttle and let it hover and test out all your movements.

while we're here, after a few flights you may want to consider catching instead of landing. Landing PERFECTLY with no lateral movement is quite hard so people also get tipovers on landing and break props... I would say a majority of us around here agree that if proper caution is taken, catching is safer (for the craft heh) than landing. There is a perfect catch (imo) at the very beginning of this youtube video

Awesome...Will check it all out...I downloaded the firmware 3.0. When I pluf my controller in it
says to download 3.04 but doesn't look like it is available for mac. Yes I am one of those guys.... " )

Tristan1234 said:
Awesome...Will check it all out...I downloaded the firmware 3.0. When I pluf my controller in it
says to download 3.04 but doesn't look like it is available for mac. Yes I am one of those guys.... " )

There are three Phantom 2 software packages for the Mac on this page, you will use two:
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/download

Quick overview, read the manual(s) for accurate sequential instructions.

Download the version 3 Phantom 2 Assistant and the v1.1 RC Assistant. Plug in your Phantom and run the PT2 software first. If you follow the instructions, it will download and install the appropriate firmware. Now quit that application and launch the RC software. Plug in the controller and run the software and follow the instructions and calibrate the sticks and switches. Quit the software, start the PT2 software, plug in Phantom and run ALL the calibrations, especially the advanced calibration.

The functioning and safe use of the Phantom depends critically on all the calibrations.

Download and read the manuals before proceeding with any firmware downloads and installations.

Remove the props before starting any of this.

Thanks for all your help.....Mode fixed, all calibrated and everything A-OK. Maiden flight with no crash! Very excited...Thanks again.

I thought people were recommending not to install the 3.x upgrade because it was causing issues with the gimbal malfunctioning. Is that not correct?

My P2 arrives soon and I was wondering if I was better off running it with out of box firmware/software rather than letting it upgrade itself to 3.x.

Anyone have suggestions on this?

Thanks

Glad you got it sorted.

" install the 3.x upgrade because it was causing issues with the gimbal malfunctioning"

I believe that was mostly fixed with v3.4 and the other updates to the IMU etc, my problem was that I didn't know to calibrate the gimbal on the RC as well. I believe prefer v1.8 due to it being less restrictive descent speed etc.

I have not installed my gimbal yet as I am trying to be fluent with the Phantom first. Had no issues that I could tell....first tim out though....

I notice the descent speed is really slow. Made me real nervous flying. When I got up real high, I was holding my breath waiting for it to come down.

Tristan1234 said:
I notice the descent speed is really slow. Made me real nervous flying. When I got up real high, I was holding my breath waiting for it to come down.

DJI has limited the descent speed to 2m/s in the latest firmware (3.04) to help avoid crashes due to VRS. Basically if you descend straight down too quickly you're descending into disturbed air from the Phantom and the props lose lift and the device plummets to the ground. Rather than go the education route (you can avoid the issue entirely by maintaining lateral movement when descending) they decided to just cripple performance.
So indeed you have to plan accordingly and monitor your battery level so you don't get stuck way up in the air when the battery gets low.
They also put in lateral movement limits which restricts your lateral speed. As far as I know THOSE are why people were/are avoiding going to v3 firmware.

In both v2 and v3 firmware they've made IMPROVEMENTS to the compass, battery management, and gimbal functions. Personally when I put my H3-3D on it was acting super weird like it was constantly trying to "correct" and run the (gimbal) motors even when the Phantom was still on the ground with the props off... problem didn't go away until I upgraded to 3.04

knuckles said:
I thought people were recommending not to install the 3.x upgrade because it was causing issues with the gimbal malfunctioning. Is that not correct?

My P2 arrives soon and I was wondering if I was better off running it with out of box firmware/software rather than letting it upgrade itself to 3.x.

Anyone have suggestions on this?

Thanks

If it works fine out the box, leave it IMO!

That's what I've done.

QYV said:
DJI has limited the descent speed to 2m/s in the latest firmware (3.04) to help avoid crashes due to VRS. Basically if you descend straight down too quickly you're descending into disturbed air from the Phantom and the props lose lift and the device plummets to the ground. Rather than go the education route (you can avoid the issue entirely by maintaining lateral movement when descending) they decided to just cripple performance.
So indeed you have to plan accordingly and monitor your battery level so you don't get stuck way up in the air when the battery gets low.
They also put in lateral movement limits which restricts your lateral speed. As far as I know THOSE are why people were/are avoiding going to v3 firmware.

In both v2 and v3 firmware they've made IMPROVEMENTS to the compass, battery management, and gimbal functions. Personally when I put my H3-3D on it was acting super weird like it was constantly trying to "correct" and run the (gimbal) motors even when the Phantom was still on the ground with the props off... problem didn't go away until I upgraded to 3.04

OK...Good to know. Thanks for all your knowledge on this!

hi all, new to the group..ive had my phantom 2 for about 2 months..flew great..installed 3.06 upgrade and when I fire it up it won't throttle to full power…I have safe green blinking lights and then solid red in the front? any Ideas?

Aonder said:
hi all, new to the group..ive had my phantom 2 for about 2 months..flew great..installed 3.06 upgrade and when I fire it up it won't throttle to full power…I have safe green blinking lights and then solid red in the front? any Ideas?

Assuming you aren't in a no-fly zone within a couple miles of an airport... I'd say you could try resetting your gains back to default using the assistant software.
Speaking of the assistant software, when you're in PA with the Phantom connected, on the Basic / RC tab you should see your stick movements reflected in the calibration area. Do your extreme stick movements correlate to the full movement of the slider?

Also you could do stick calibrations in this area that never hurts

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31