Phantom 2 won't initialize/start up.

Reaction score
Was working fine. Had a soft crash into the snow. Dried it by the heat vent for a couple hours but didn't get it too hot. Now when I turn on the unit/battery, I get the Red/Green/Yellow LED lights (no sounds) and the unit shuts down.

Try doing compass calibration & IMU Advance calibration.

I don't believe I can as the unit will not turn on. I get the three lights then it completely shuts down.

Looks like that's what I'll have to do. Anyone else have this happen to them? (meaning the red/green/yellow lights then shutdown)

This was my maiden outdoor flight. All 15 seconds. :( Hopefully I didn't damage any electronics by turning it on before it was completely dry.

Check to make sure everything is still connected right, no corrosion, etc. Snow should be ok; Mine was left crashed one night couldn't find it for a good 12 hours (Find my Phantom had it across a highway, checked there that night, next morning checked some place closer and found it) Between morning dew and sprinklers, dried it out and it works fine!.... hope you can get it working!

I noticed when it started initializing that I heard a click. I narrowed it down to one motor. To my surprise I finally got it to initialize. Now when I start up the motors, the one that was clicking is just vibrating, not rotating. I'm wondering if water got in the motor and if there's something I could spray in there to get it lubed. Maybe a chunk of dirt got in there. The motor seems to free wheel by hand as easily as the other 3.

Update: Just noticed that the Red LED under the bad motor is not on yet it does flash during initializing.

Here's a 5 second vid of what the motor is doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sknp77tPOHU

If the led isn't signalling as it should then it could be that ESC has been damaged. The motor may also be damaged/have debris in it. The good news is that the shell is easy to open (video in my sig below), you can remove the motor just by unscrewing it and then strip it down to check it out thoroughly. Replacement ESCs for the Vision are available for around $20 and are secured by a couple of small screws. Don't know if they are different for the P2 but should be about the same price. You will need to solder its connections to the motor and main board, though.

Short of attaching another known good motor to the potentially bad ESC to test if it's just the LED that's gone bad as opposed to anything more serious I'm not sure how to diagnose if it's the ESC or the motor or both.

I hope I'm not sounding like a broken record here but you really need to take your machine apart and inspect it for damage/water.

Continuing to power it up without resolving the problems with it can lead to more trouble.

It's likely a damaged ESC. The electrical system in the phantom in mostly DC but the motors are 3 phase AC the ESC invert the voltage to suit the speed requested by the naza. If the ESC isn't working, the led wont light up.

Most DC circuits are resilient to water but AC circuits are not, especially with salt water.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Yes, I did take it apart and look for more water and it was all dry. The led light works during initializing, but not when I start up the motors.

Thought I was out of the woods. Tried to lift off and the prop flew off. So, I assuming he gave me the wrong ESC if that's possible. I guess my question is, do I have to get the proper ESC or is there a way of getting this to work.

Also, I didn't do the work so maybe the guy I paid to do it got some wires crossed.

That's what I see too. Well, time to tear it apart for the third time and give her a check. Thanks for the help. I'll update as soon as I figure it out.

Back in the air! Well, the air in my living room that is. Ended up being the red and yellow wires being reversed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic