Phantom 2 with Prop Guards (From a different perspective)

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have seen a lot of threads on Phantom Pilots about the Pros and Cons of Prop Guards. However no one seems to properly cover this topic. After much research I have found that Pilots flying the Phantom 2 with the Gimbal, GoPro, and Prop Guards have encountered “complete flight failure” No one had previously mentioned this and I just wanted to see if the community was up to date on this. I first came upon this information in the Phantom 2 User Manual on Page 25.

DJI states, “When used with a H3-3D gimbal, a GoPro camera, and the iOSD mini, your Phantom 2 will be very close to its maximum takeoff weight. It is not recommended that you attach the Phantom 2 propeller guards at this weight. Otherwise, the aircraft will be unable to fly normally.”

In addition I wanted to give the community a complete list of Pros and Cons for the Prop Guards:

Pros:
- These are original parts made by the manufacturer, DJI, which means they will fit without much alterations needed.
- You simply screw the guards in place and that is that.
- Adds a little protection to your Phantom that would otherwise not be seen.

Cons:
- Incorrectly installing the wrong screws will completely kill your motors.
- Alter flight characteristics
- Can lead to “complete flight failure” as mentioned above.

The community consciences seem to be that the prop guards do more harm than good.

Re: Phantom 2 with Prop Guards (From a different perspective

VinnyThePilot said:
The community consciences seem to be that the prop guards do more harm than good.

correct. Unless you are flying in a situation where you may actually run into an obstacle they are really unnecessary. If all you're doing is open air flying at altitude they're doing nothing but decreasing your flight time (due to more weight), making it handle more sluggishly and making a VRS more likely.

one minor point re: your post in the Pros section: they aren't necessarily always "official DJI" equipment. there are myrid aftermarket options

How heavy are these things? lol

Most people don't have the prop guards installed, but many people have FPV transmitters and GPS locators installed. In terms of weight, people don't seem to have trouble taking off with these. May decrease flight times due to weight, but I believe people are able to "fly normally" with these installed.

Another reason I don't use prop guards is b/c my carrying case doesn't fit them (when installed). I know there are clip on guards, but meh....

dptcalvin said:
How heavy are these things? lol

Most people don't have the prop guards installed, but many people have FPV transmitters and GPS locators installed. In terms of weight, people don't seem to have trouble taking off with these. May decrease flight times due to weight, but I believe people are able to "fly normally" with these installed.

Another reason I don't use prop guards is b/c my carrying case doesn't fit them (when installed). I know there are clip on guards, but meh....

adding ANY weight decreases flight time, that's all I was saying. it may not be much but when our total flight time is around 15 minutes, every gram of added weight equals a certain number of seconds of reduced flight time, it's noticeable. include that with props guards now that the flight characteristics have changed and the Phantom has to work harder to fly... that can translate to a noticeable reduction in flight time... even if you shave 1 minute off of your 15, that's a 6.7% reduction

VinnyThePilot said:
Hello everyone,

I have seen a lot of threads on Phantom Pilots about the Pros and Cons of Prop Guards. However no one seems to properly cover this topic. After much research I have found that Pilots flying the Phantom 2 with the Gimbal, GoPro, and Prop Guards have encountered “complete flight failure” No one had previously mentioned this and I just wanted to see if the community was up to date on this. I first came upon this information in the Phantom 2 User Manual on Page 25.

DJI states, “When used with a H3-3D gimbal, a GoPro camera, and the iOSD mini, your Phantom 2 will be very close to its maximum takeoff weight. It is not recommended that you attach the Phantom 2 propeller guards at this weight. Otherwise, the aircraft will be unable to fly normally.”

In addition I wanted to give the community a complete list of Pros and Cons for the Prop Guards:

Pros:
- These are original parts made by the manufacturer, DJI, which means they will fit without much alterations needed.
- You simply screw the guards in place and that is that.
- Adds a little protection to your Phantom that would otherwise not be seen.

Cons:
- Incorrectly installing the wrong screws will completely kill your motors.
- Alter flight characteristics
- Can lead to “complete flight failure” as mentioned above.

I'm all for prop guards if you are trying to learn to land and tip over a lot.... but once you've got that down... take em off for all the "cons" you listed above and more (I am sure).

I had the experience with CP heli's so that helped my landing technique... so I understand if people aren't comfortable.... but these things were originally designed to fly without the guards so you have to take that into consideration in terms of flight characteristics (IMO).

QYV said:
adding ANY weight decreases flight time, that's all I was saying. it may not be much but when our total flight time is around 15 minutes, every gram of added weight equals a certain number of seconds of reduced flight time, it's noticeable. include that with props guards now that the flight characteristics have changed and the Phantom has to work harder to fly... that can translate to a noticeable reduction in flight time... even if you shave 1 minute off of your 15, that's a 6.7% reduction
I know adding any weight decreases flight time. My post wasn't in response to yours. I was more wondering why DJI says, "Otherwise, the aircraft will be unable to fly normally."

dptcalvin said:
QYV said:
I know adding any weight decreases flight time. My post wasn't in response to yours. I was more wondering why DJI says, "Otherwise, the aircraft will be unable to fly normally."

no worries mate just chatting :)

Hi all - new here and also contemplating prop guards. Seeing that there are many aftermarket ones, which ones would come recommended? I like the idea of having white/red for ease. What's the weight of the official DJI ones vs. others? Thanks!

Prop guards are great for learning to land and for indoor flight (P3 or P2 in a hanger/hall for example). They will save you form a crash if you bump the wall in ATTI mode.

As for outside, normal flight, operations... take them off.
They are known to cause additional turbulence (Vortex ring state) when descending with a gimbal and additional equipment etc.

They also cause issues with gusts of wind causing additional unintended flight movements and additional drag when in a RTH situation into headwind.

Plus additional risk of motor damage when you remove them and put the same (longer) screws back into the motor housing, wrecking your motors.

Simple rule of thumb:
Inside or for landing practice - good
Outside for normal flight - bad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4