PHANTOM 2 WITH H3-2D ZENMUSE GIMBAL

The bastards- I would have waited another 3 months if I had known this was going to be released- instead I am now in the midst of building this thing- my only consolation is I have less invested thus far than the retail price (minus the zenmuse and using a another type of gimbal)

DJI has now firmly established itself as the "apple" of the r/c realms... planned obsolescence is copious in those corridors and shame on them for engaging in it.

Hiway said:
The bastards- I would have waited another 3 months if I had known this was going to be released- instead I am now in the midst of building this thing- my only consolation is I have less invested thus far than the retail price (minus the zenmuse and using a another type of gimbal)

DJI has now firmly established itself as the "apple" of the r/c realms... planned obsolescence is copious in those corridors and shame on them for engaging in it.

I just hope they release it right on time to name is as personal Xmas Gift , otherwise I will be running out of excuses :)))

Alas (or not), appears to be the real deal. Essentially it's a Vision without the camera, and ability to mount a Zenmuse. Some dealers have said there will be a "bare" (no Zenmuse) version and another version with Zenmuse installed. What isn't clear is whether it uses the 5.8 diversity RX/TX that the Vision uses, or sticks with the 2.4 RX/TX from the original Phantom. I'm also dying to see how they got the CAN BUS hub in there -- that might shed some light on how to retrofit CAN BUS ports into our original Phantoms without having to use a PMU-V2.

And as soon as this shell is available as a replacement part, it will be interesting to see if it's easy enough to transplant an original Phantom in there to use the bigger battery bay. (Not suggesting using the new smart batteries, but just to get some more room to fly 2 packs in there without a lot of Dremeling as you have to do with the original shell.)

Since I already have the zenmuse, I'd love to see a naked vision that I could mount the zenmuse onto and somehow still use the vision app for FPV. I would have to think the vision camera and the zenmuse cost about the same so pricing it around $850 would be perfect.

Yep, I was way off base on this one, looks like it's the real deal. Sorry about that.

1000g AUW, 1300g max weight, 2.4ghz control and some built-in circuitry for (digital?) FPV downlink. Uses the $160 battery and claimed 25min flight time (no idea if that is naked or with the gimbal/camera installed.

The price is a lot better than I was expecting though. I think that proprietary battery is going to keep me away. I currently have four 4400mah batteries and it would cost as much as the phantom 2 to replace those.

ElGuano said:
Uses the $160 battery and claimed 25min flight time (no idea if that is naked or with the gimbal/camera installed.

You had a typo there, I think. You wrote "$160 battery", and being the sensible person I am, I figured this must be an error.

HAHAHAHAHA. not a typo. You read that correctly. Not only is it a $150+ battery, but you can only use that battery. If your battery dies or gets damaged, you'll have to reach into your pocket and grab those big bills to buy another. They are smart, taking a page out of the Apple playbook. The new iPhone and iPads only work with apple cables. The newest update made it so all the great $3 usb cables on ebay are nothing more than shoelaces.

SamurAchzar said:
You had a typo there, I think. You wrote "$160 battery", and being the sensible person I am, I figured this must be an error.

I see what you did there. ;)

Ksc said:
Since I already have the zenmuse, I'd love to see a naked vision that I could mount the zenmuse onto and somehow still use the vision app for FPV. I would have to think the vision camera and the zenmuse cost about the same so pricing it around $850 would be perfect.

I don't consider the "Smart" battery introduced in the Vision as a good thing, so the new P2 is a disappointment, although expected.

A nice workaround will be purchasing a Vision/P2 shell when it is available, probably in the $70 range, and plop the P1 innards into it and then have room for a 5200mAh regular lipo. Will probably get about the same time as in the air as a P2 and have the benefit of much cheaper power, and even better, no smart pin problems.

Dave Pitman said:
Ksc said:

I don't consider the "Smart" battery introduced in the Vision as a good thing, so the new P2 is a disappointment, although expected.

A nice workaround will be purchasing a Vision/P2 shell when it is available, probably in the $70 range, and plop the P1 innards into it and then have room for a 5200mAh regular lipo. Will probably get about the same time as in the air as a P2 and have the benefit of much cheaper power, and even better, no smart pin problems.

If you're going to take apart the entire Phantom to begin with (the bottom shell is really the only real chassis), and you'll need to make sure the mainboard fits, fashion a door and a new connector for the P2V shell, make a hole for the LED (and something for the USB cable), etc. etc., you're almost certainly better off just making the Phantom 1 battery opening bigger. You can use your existing connector, the door still closes, and the space is big enough to fit a 5400mah (2x 2700) battery already. It's a shame the P2V battery is so expensive, because the work required to use the shell is almost certainly not worth it.

ElGuano said:
Dave Pitman said:
Ksc said:

If you're going to take apart the entire Phantom to begin with (the bottom shell is really the only real chassis), and you'll need to make sure the mainboard fits, fashion a door and a new connector for the P2V shell, make a hole for the LED (and something for the USB cable), etc. etc., you're almost certainly better off just making the Phantom 1 battery opening bigger. You can use your existing connector, the door still closes, and the space is big enough to fit a 5400mah (2x 2700) battery already. It's a shame the P2V battery is so expensive, because the work required to use the shell is almost certainly not worth it.

You are probably correct. I wonder if the Smart circuitry on the P2 could be removed so that standard lipos could be used. Then would only need a 3d printed battery door.

Dave Pitman said:
I don't consider the "Smart" battery introduced in the Vision as a good thing, so the new P2 is a disappointment, although expected

It's a good business model for them. Lower the phantom's price, rise the battery :)

On the other hand, the new battery lasts around 3x compared to the stock 2200 Phantom battery; not including the time you need to fly home, replace the batt, and fly up again. So your cost/flight-minute is only around 2x compared to the stock 2200mah battery.

Dave Pitman said:
You are probably correct. I wonder if the Smart circuitry on the P2 could be removed so that standard lipos could be used. Then would only need a 3d printed battery door.

You could probably add a circuit to fool it into thinking it's always fully charged, but I assume you'd lose the ESC battery indicator LEDs and the transmitted battery status to your phone.

ElGuano said:
You could probably add a circuit to fool it into thinking it's always fully charged, but I assume you'd lose the ESC battery indicator LEDs and the transmitted battery status to your phone.

The P2 will run the dji phone app?

Dave Pitman said:
ElGuano said:

The P2 will run the dji phone app?

Apologies, my mind was stuck on P2V.

I was wondering if you could keep your LED/USB from the P1 and use that as a battery status indicator, and I realized I have no idea how the NAZA gets its voltage signal (I assume one of the small circuits on the PDB feeds the voltage reading to the NAZA) or whether the NAZA even controls RTH/low voltage on the smart battery systems.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4