Phantom 2 with FPV, OSD and Ground Station iPad?

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm interested in buying a DJI Phantom 2, but I'm a bit lost with all the accessories and if the are compatible with each other...

I already have a GoPro camera so I would choose a Phantom 2 with H3-D3 Gimbal.

I also would like a FPV kit, so I think a need:
- monitor with receiver
- transmitter
- antennas
- cables

And for the OSD I would need:
- iOSD mini

Right?

Now I also would like to use the Ground Station app on my iPad, to create the waypoints and flightplan. So I think that would require a different / extra transmitter and receiver for the app?

Are all these accessories compatible with each other? With other words; can I use the Phantom 2 with a FPV kit, OSD and the ground station app??

Thanks!

Jeff

I'm also interested in the answer.
I have all that stuff installed on my phantom 2, but I have not flown it yet.
The controller and data link are 2.4 and the FPV is 5.8
Could there be an issue?

hi guys... you're on the right track, some basic explanation:
on a NON-Vision P2 (with Zenmuse gimbal, the one you have) indeed the RC signal happens on 2.4Ghz, so you don't want any other 2.4ghz (such as wifi on the gopro) to interfere. This is why most of us install 5.8Ghz FPV systems so that they don't interfere (2.4 vs 5.8 = not the same = doesn't interfere)

I'm afraid I really don't know much about the Groundstation... I THINK it's compatible with the other systems but please double check as I'm not 100% sure... I am perfectly happy flying my Phantom manually with FPV, unless you're doing legit mapping or research or something I don't think it's worth the extra money just to be able to program it to fly pre-arranged waypoints. I'd drop that money on a good, high power FPV system with premium antennas.

an iOSD Mini simply overlays telemetry info onto the video feed.. indeed this is very valuable and you want to do this for FPV systems.
There is a stickythread in the FPV forum called "lowest prices on FPV components" that may help you build your system. You'll want stuff like
-5.8ghz fpv transmitter (several options here)
-iOSD Mini
-plug and play cable for iOSD Mini and transmitter (2 versions depending on which transmitter you get)
-a LCD display/receiver (assuming you want a screen not goggles) probably with 5.8ghz receiver built in (most common are Black Pearl and Boscam RX-LCD5802)
-an RC mount for the display
-good antennas such as the kit from FPVLR

If you have further questions on FPV specifically come on over to the FPV forum you'll find lots of help and existing info there

indeed, I've seen that article. Skypixel is awesome.

my point was, do you really even need the Ground Station stuff at all? it certainly isn't essential, and if you're just flying around for recreational purposes taking cool videos, watching FPV then it's basically pointless. *shrug* just trying to save you some money unless you really need auto-flight, waypoints, and all that stuff for a specific purpose.

No, I don't really need it; a nice to have, just like the Phantom 2 itself :)

But I get your point, I'll start with just the drone, iOSD and FPV.

jjongmans said:
Now I also would like to use the Ground Station app on my iPad, to create the waypoints and flightplan.
Up to this point you described my system.
You will need to buy the Ground Station data link and software ($200 to $225) to create waypoints and flight planning. The software is PC and Mac - no iPad. The datalink is also on 2.4GHz but you would either be flying with the R/C or the Ground Station S/W.

The confusion comes from the Phantom 2 Vision where the groundstation app works from iPad or iPhones (iThink? iDon't know because iHave a Phantom2 NV and iDon't have an iAnything).

SteveMann said:
jjongmans said:
Now I also would like to use the Ground Station app on my iPad, to create the waypoints and flightplan.
Up to this point you described my system.
You will need to buy the Ground Station data link and software ($200 to $225) to create waypoints and flight planning. The software is PC and Mac - no iPad. The datalink is also on 2.4GHz but you would either be flying with the R/C or the Ground Station S/W.

The confusion comes from the Phantom 2 Vision where the groundstation app works from iPad or iPhones (iThink? iDon't know because iHave a Phantom2 NV and iDon't have an iAnything).

I have to correct you on the above. I have ground station that I use on my Phantom 2 and my F450 and control with Ipad mini works like a charm. You have to purchase Ground station kit that includes blue tooth unit.

Great info!

The Ground Station Data Link can be used with a (Windows) PC with an USB cable OR an iPad with the bluetooth connection.

I was wondering if the 2.4 Datalink would interfere with the 2.4 signal from the controller, but I didn't realize I would only use one system at a time; it's the Data Link OR the controller, but not at the same time, so no interference... The video link is at 5.8 so that won't be a problem.

Great info. I didn't know.. U can only use one or the other. Which sort of make sense. Looks like I won't be needing the ground control for now....maybe I should get another phantom?!?!!?!! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1