Phantom 2 with 3h3d question before i buy

Reaction score
So I'm about to buy a Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse 3h3d and also a go pro camera to go along with it. I had a couple questions I'm hoping you guys could answer. First off, if I don't purchase a FPV add on, do you think I can still get decent footage on the go pro just buy pure piloting? Also I'm looking at the Hero 3 + black and the the Hero 4 black, with the built in wifi and the app I can dowload on my phone, can I FPV with that..or atleast get enough feedback to be able to see what I'm shooting? I was thinking of getting this set up with out the FPV to save cash, and later if I decide I want to add it on I still can. What camera do you guys go pro do you guys recommend and also what do you guys think? I'm trying to keep this whole set up under $1300 and I definitely want a go pro to go with it. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks! Also if I do decide to go with the HERO 4, is the 3H3D compatible with it or do i need to go to a 4h3d? What is the difference?d

Can you get decent footage with FPV? Is it harder? Absolutely. You're basically trying to compose your shot blind. Try filming a video on your smartphone with your eyes closed and see how good your footage is. But then imagine not knowing the exact angle your gimbal/camera is tilted and what direction your bird is rotated/pointed.

You cannot use WiFi on the GoPro when flying with the P2. They both operate on 2.4ghz and the WiFi will interfere, likely causing a flyaway.

If you want a Hero 4 Black, then get the H4-3D. If you want a 3+ Black, get the H3-3D. Each is tuned appropriately to balance their respective cameras.

What fpv do u recommend thats easy, simple, and less than $300? I have an ipad mini as well, im not sure it that cuts down on the cost...? Thanks for ur advice man.

TS353: $38
RX-LCD5802: $140
iOSD Mini: $70
PnP Cable: $10
Monitor mount: $10
Upgraded antennas*: $120

*optional, but highly recommended for range

Yes, that's about $6.

I'm also piecing my Phantom together since I didn't have the $$ to get the FPV and gimbal. I've shot at least ten or so videos with a Hero 3 Black and just a hard mount. No FPV or Gimbal. I usually shoot in 1080/60FPS. I can shoot 4K but only 15 FPS. I think the Hero 4 will shoot 4K in 30FPS.
But my point is that I got some great shots with just judging best I could what the shot would look like and tried my best to keep the subject in the middle of the frame. Either way, I have some great footage that people think looks great. Each time I tell them, "Imagine how much better it would look if I had a gimbal and FPV to really see what i'm doing...".
Check out this video I shot at the beach, at the 9:20 mark I got a great shot of a surfer but if I had an FPV I would've been able to keep him in the frame...
http://youtu.be/kMyjfdoSNVo

Good luck bro and enjoy it! But make sure to read all instructions, update all firmware and watch a couple instructional videos, it could be the difference of a fun/great day or a ****** up, thousand dollars down the drain kind of day.

Wolphman007 said:
I'm also piecing my Phantom together since I didn't have the $$ to get the FPV and gimbal. I've shot at least ten or so videos with a Hero 3 Black and just a hard mount. No FPV or Gimbal. I usually shoot in 1080/60FPS. I can shoot 4K but only 15 FPS. I think the Hero 4 will shoot 4K in 30FPS.
But my point is that I got some great shots with just judging best I could what the shot would look like and tried my best to keep the subject in the middle of the frame. Either way, I have some great footage that people think looks great. Each time I tell them, "Imagine how much better it would look if I had a gimbal and FPV to really see what i'm doing...".
Check out this video I shot at the beach, at the 9:20 mark I got a great shot of a surfer but if I had an FPV I would've been able to keep him in the frame...
http://youtu.be/kMyjfdoSNVo

Good luck bro and enjoy it! But make sure to read all instructions, update all firmware and watch a couple instructional videos, it could be the difference of a fun/great day or a ****** up, thousand dollars down the drain kind of day.
Footage at 9:20 is cool, but look how close you were. Try getting good footage when the bird is 200+ feet away from you.

I mean, I'm all for flying with what you have. But if your goal is to get some good footage...a gimbal and FPV are a must.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj