Phantom 2 vision waypoints app update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
As most of you know P2V is getting built in waypoint capability soon...should've been here by now, but this is straight from DJI.

"The waypoints app for the Phantom 2 Vision is still in beta testing and will be available shortly.

Jorge
DJI Technology Customer Service"

I'm getting impatient.

Here is a snapshot from a guy on Facebook who is a beta tester of the new app. There is talk tonight that ita available on the android app, not sure if it's a windup though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 1,721
Aldo found this on Facebook

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 1,608
smatty2023 said:
Here is a snapshot from a guy on Facebook who is a beta tester of the new app. There is talk tonight that ita available on the android app, not sure if it's a windup though.

Great. That lays out a nice little flight over a densely populated area about 4 miles off the departure end of John Wayne Airport. So he's a Beta tester for DJI? That nice red zone at the top is the ring around the airport.

So I'll say it. This is a dangerous and irresponsible place to fly a Phantom, or pretty much anything else. Hopefully this is an "example" and not a real flight. My new attitude is that I am no longer going to support foolish flying.

Here's what the satellite view looks like of this flight area.

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=33.605059,-117.868538&spn=0.013833,0.020385&t=h&z=16

Like I said, I hope this was an example (a poor one at that) and not an actual flight.

Those numbers are the distance from last waypoint , not the altitude. 1663ft is 500m which is the limit from the home point.

Alib said:
Those numbers are the distance from last waypoint , not the altitude. 1663ft is 500m which is the limit from the home point.

OK. My mistake on that then. But I stand by my point that this is still not a suitable environment to by flying. Over busy roads and homes.

... unless of course the tester was just uploading screenshots of a notional route they had programmed whilst sitting in their back yard to show the on-screen graphics / test the "no waypoints in airport zones allowed" function, etc. Nothing on there shows the flight is in progress.

But I take your point about it not being a particularly great place to be flying, particularly autonomously. I suspect though that in order to show the on-screen map detail a demo using a built-up area was done, otherwise in the countryside it would be a very blank looking screen!

Pull_Up said:
... unless of course the tester was just uploading screenshots of a notional route they had programmed whilst sitting in their back yard to show the on-screen graphics / test the "no waypoints in airport zones allowed" function, etc. Nothing on there shows the flight is in progress.

Which I noted when I said that if this was just a test type of image.

[/quote]But I take your point about it not being a particularly great place to be flying, particularly autonomously. I suspect though that in order to show the on-screen map detail a demo using a built-up area was done, otherwise in the countryside it would be a very blank looking screen![/quote]

My concern is that people who do not take to time to consider otherwise may look at this and think it is OK, especially since it is a person whom DJI has trusted to be a Beta tester. I am sponsored by Futaba and I know how what I do can be seen as having a bit more weight due to that. "Hey, the sponsored guy does this, must be OK." type of thing.

If I over reacted I apologize, but these are volatile times, especially here in the US, and we need to be vigilant and not provide the FAA of any more proof that we need to be strictly regulated. Everything I have seen from the FAA regarding sUAS regs notes that most sUAS operations will be VLOS and will avoid flying over populated areas. This flight plan met neither criteria.

Agreed. It's illegal to fly beyond VLOS in the UK anyway, FPV is only allowed as an exemption to that law if, amongst other things, you have a competent spotter with you who maintains visual and can call out conflicts with aircraft, for example. We also have regulations on not flying over congested areas and keeping minimum distances from anything or anyone not under your control. Yes people flout the law all the time but at least there's a benchmark against which to measure their flying - sounds to me like the sooner the US puts clear rules in place the sooner it will help people to assess what is correct and acceptable. Of course you can't make people follow the rules, but at least if you have rules you've then got no get-out clause of "but it's not illegal" even if it's dumb at best, dangerous at worst.

SilentAV8R said:

If I over reacted I apologize, but these are volatile times, especially here in the US, and we need to be vigilant and not provide the FAA of any more proof that we need to be strictly regulated. Everything I have seen from the FAA regarding sUAS regs notes that most sUAS operations will be VLOS and will avoid flying over populated areas. This flight plan met neither criteria.

Excellent point well made

Does anyone have any new news on the Waypoints app? Will it just be IOS or Android too?

My Galaxy Note 2 needs to be replaced ASAP and I'm wondering if I should move to an IOS device or if the app will also be made for Android.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers