Phantom 2 Vision+ (V3) Fly away

Reaction score
I was testing the range of my phantom and was returning from 800m away (hit my range limit setting), once back I handed controls to my dad to show him how it works. He was getting used to the controls (hence all the random yawing etc). All of sudden it stops responding and takes off towards the sea like a scalded cat.
I quickly took over the controller and switched to failsafe before it took a dip, once the RTH was in progress and she was heading home I tried switching back to GPS flight mode and the same thing happened again.

To me this feels like a 5.8Ghz RF interference issue, my phantom is a version 3 with the 2.1 ESC's and the GPS/compass seem to work okay if the RTH brought her home?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAqnXsB2PY[/youtube]

It looks scary, the first time it actually looks like the quad is about to turn upside down, like complete motor loss then it rights itself, the second time it does the same but not as badly.

Looks like someone hit manual mode on the remote control and it went crazy, i know you didnt but it seems like it, have you tried calibrating your controller in the RC asst and the Phantom asst.

My first one started doing that. put it on the kitchen table and turn it on idle. Listen for changes in the motors, I sent mine back to Amazon for a refund.
http://youtu.be/DR5ktSzkEzg

packetlos said:
I was testing the range of my phantom and was returning from 800m away (hit my range limit setting), once back I handed controls to my dad to show him how it works. He was getting used to the controls (hence all the random yawing etc). All of sudden it stops responding and takes off towards the sea like a scalded cat.
I quickly took over the controller and switched to failsafe before it took a dip, once the RTH was in progress and she was heading home I tried switching back to GPS flight mode and the same thing happened again.

To me this feels like a 5.8Ghz RF interference issue, my phantom is a version 3 with the 2.1 ESC's and the GPS/compass seem to work okay if the RTH brought her home?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmAqnXsB2PY[/youtube]

Could it be a total loss of gps fix? if that happens then altitude mode should work.. dont know for sure just asking in case it happens to me also!

I don't think so, even when switching to atti mode it shouldnt take a tumble like that, I recovered using failsafe RTH so I think the GPS is working.

It's almost like it was getting RC inputs from somewhere else, when I removed the RC connection from the equation it flew and returned just fine.

Just had the controller hooked up to the assistant, seems fine. Sticks centered and movement range seem to register just fine :?:

packetlos, I have one thing for you to try. Do the simple mod in the link, and then only fly over an area with tall grass. This very well may fix your problem. If this doesn't fix it, send it back. Other then that, please do not fly the quad anymore!!!!!
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30912

I was totally not prepared to see the quad suddenly drop left like it did. I nearly jumped from my chair. I have a feeling the gps connector is vibrating loose to a point that it breaks connection. When that happens the gps signal is broke and the quad does not know where it is at. When you switch it into failsafe, or even if you switched it out of gps mode and back into gps mode, it resets the gps and you in turn have control once again.

While you have the cover off you might as well make sure there are no motor wires laying on top of the ESC boards in each arm. It would also be nice if you would take some clear pictures of the motor wires and the ESC's so we can see if there is any evidence of something else being wrong. I would appreciate it greatly if you were indeed able to do that!

Don't forget, you are part of the family now and we're here to help you.

Scary so lucky you didn't lose it!
Where was this? Doesnt look like much around there to cause trouble?
Unless maybe a naval base near or an airport or something?

And yes I can vouch for how loose the GPS plug is inside the casing of the Vison2+ - even on the V3!!!

msinger said:
If your GPS plug is loose, this seems to be the best fix:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33453

msinger, I just now read the 1st post of that thread for the 1st time. I have to say that how is doing that mod going to insure that the connection issue doesn't happen again? I got to think that the 1st time a person removes their top cover and lets it hang with the connector still having a gap between it and the plug will result in the pieces in the plug to continue to stretch open more.

I know I use to leave my gps plug connected unless I really needed the room. But lifting up, tugging in anyway, or laying the cover over with it still connected, would pose problems, don't you think? Or was there something about the mod that maybe I missed?

Return to home (RTH) worked fine both times after loss of control and the only way it can work is with GPS, otherwise the bird won't know where it is in relation to home point so it did not loose GPS.

Complete loss of GPS would mean the bird would land where it currently is flying and will drift with the wind while doing so.

A loose GPS plug may not be it either as the RTH worked fine and immediate when switched into. If the plug was loose it would continue to act up and/or fly away. Bad or noisy data is still bad data. If you have never opened the birds shell the connection is probably ok. It may not be if you have had some hard landings or have had the shell apart.

What are your switch settings for S1 and S2? I think from your description they are correct but it appears that manual mode was engaged somehow. One way is if S1 has the down position set to manual instead of Failsafe/RTH. Combined accidental/undesired manual mode with a bit of wind and it is out of control really fast.

A motor or ESC issue is unlikely. The flying you were doing was mild and not stressing the motors or their controllers. The out of control issue would have continued even when switched to RTH mode as a failure of the motor, motor wiring to ESC, connection to the ESC or the ESC itself is a major failure and generally not recoverable.

It is possible there was a signal interference in which RTH would work fine if it can be commanded into that mode through the interference. I see nothing in the video of the surrounding area other than a passing car which is unlikely to give an issue. Sometimes going up or down in altitude a bit (if you have time) may get the bird out of an interference band. If there were any ship to shore communications or as mentioned Navel/military bases nearby that could be a source. Aircraft could cause an issue especially if they are military.
The old AT&T microwave towers transmit/receive in the range of 2 to 8 GHZ which will can cause control issues, but I did not see any in the video. I have and active one really near me and it causes some wacky things to happen sometimes.

PhilD13 said:
Complete loss of GPS would mean the bird would land where it currently is flying and will drift with the wind while doing so.
Is this a new feature?

PhilD13 said:
Aircraft could cause an issue especially if they are military.
How? Aircraft don't transmit anything on the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz bands or on the 1.2GHz GPS band.

flyNfrank, that mod crimps the connectors so they don't have any play.

PhilD13 said:
Return to home (RTH) worked fine both times after loss of control and the only way it can work is with GPS, otherwise the bird won't know where it is in relation to home point so it did not loose GPS.

A loose GPS plug may not be it either as the RTH worked fine and immediate when switched into. If the plug was loose it would continue to act up and/or fly away. Bad or noisy data is still bad data. If you have never opened the birds shell the connection is probably ok. It may not be if you have had some hard landings or have had the shell apart.

What are your switch settings for S1 and S2? I think from your description they are correct but it appears that manual mode was engaged somehow. One way is if S1 has the down position set to manual instead of Failsafe/RTH. Combined accidental/undesired manual mode with a bit of wind and it is out of control really fast.

A motor or ESC issue is unlikely. The flying you were doing was mild and not stressing the motors or their controllers. The out of control issue would have continued even when switched to RTH mode as a failure of the motor, motor wiring to ESC, connection to the ESC or the ESC itself is a major failure and generally not recoverable.

It is possible there was a signal interference in which RTH would work fine if it can be commanded into that mode through the interference. I see nothing in the video of the surrounding area other than a passing car which is unlikely to give an issue. Sometimes going up or down in altitude a bit (if you have time) may get the bird out of an interference band. If there were any ship to shore communications or as mentioned Navel/military bases nearby that could be a source. Aircraft could cause an issue especially if they are military.
The old AT&T microwave towers transmit/receive in the range of 2 to 8 GHZ which will can cause control issues, but I did not see any in the video. I have and active one really near me and it causes some wacky things to happen sometimes.

I don't know who you are or where you came from,and don't care. But it's obvious you have no experience in the vPlus signal becoming broken. The recommending of raising the wires off the ESC's was only a precaution, not a fix. Nor was it said to have been what caused his problem.

Unless you have a V3 and experienced these issues, you really shouldn't post in detail saying that someone who has been through it is wrong.

msinger said:
flyNfrank, that mod crimps the connectors so they don't have any play.

I got cha msinger, but what about the gap between the plug and connector?

packetlos said:
I don't think so, even when switching to atti mode it shouldnt take a tumble like that, I recovered using failsafe RTH so I think the GPS is working.

It's almost like it was getting RC inputs from somewhere else, when I removed the RC connection from the equation it flew and returned just fine.

Just had the controller hooked up to the assistant, seems fine. Sticks centered and movement range seem to register just fine :?:
:D
Welcome to the forum.
Nice recovery! Scary indeed.
The two things I'd check are the transmitter S1 switch and the birds motors for magnetic debris.
Next flight shouldn't be by the water.

MHL

SteveMann said:
PhilD13 said:
Is this a new feature?
If GPS signal is Lost or not Active: Phantoms simply land straight down. It may be drifting during the descent
and landing process page 16 of the THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners

PhilD13 said:
Aircraft could cause an issue especially if they are military.
How? Aircraft don't transmit anything on the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz bands or on the 1.2GHz GPS band.
MVarious agencies both commercial and military tend to use various frequencies and these tend to be high power at least as far as the phantom is concerned. Even a signal not on the exact frequency can have side frequencies and bleedover or just be strong enough to interfere.
S band - 2–4 GHz Moderate range surveillance, Terminal air traffic control, long-range weather, marine radar; 'S' for 'short'
C Band - 4–8 GHz Satellite transponders; a compromise (hence 'C') between X and S bands; weather; long range tracking
X Band - 8–12 GHz Missile guidance, marine radar, weather, medium-resolution mapping and ground surveillance; in the USA the narrow range 10.525 GHz ±25 MHz is used for airport radar; short range tracking. BTW this band was named X band because the frequency was a secret during WW2.

Around here farmers tend to interfere with certain frequencies during planting time, but generally not on or even near the frequencies the transmitter is on.

My main point was not to argue with others about what fixes should be made or not made, but rather to suggest that certain issues may not be possible because of the fast recovery and response the bird had on video when the Op switched to Failsafe/RTH on the controller. Suggesting modifications of things after the fact does not prove or disprove an issue. Fact is if the motor wires shorted together, wire comes loose from an ESC, or a FET is truly blown, the bird becomes a rock with no recovery no matter what mode. In this case there were 2 recoveries on video and both times they went very well so I don't think there was any electrical or mechanical issue with the motors or the ESC's. I am all for making sure things are routed properly and secured well, and the motors are matched properly to the latest ESC's, but the Op was asking what could cause the issue not how to fix an as yet unidentified issue. In my opinion it was some type of interference.

So what you're experience is copy & pasting. You are still making a reference to the ESC's when I was the only to mantion anything about them and I told you it was said to be what was wrong in his situation.

Speak from your own experience, and not others. I'm sure you mean well, but you just came off to me the wrong way.

A quick update, opened the phantom up, all ESC's look fine. I had lifted the wires up when I had open last to see what ESC's i had gotten in the DJI parts bin lottery.

S1 & S2 were in the up position, S1 is definitely set to Failsafe and not manual as that's what i switched to to get it back.

RAF Boulmer is 9 miles away, it's a SAR base and NATO airspace command centre, the actual radar head is 11 miles away high up on a hill.

It is surprisingly easy to jam GPS - the military do it all the time.
There was a case in a marina once where GPS was being blocked - turned out to be a dodgy TV active aerial or something similar. Mobile phone signals are also very easy to jam or block. All these are similar low power microwave type frequencies. You need far more power to jam lower frequency stuff.
Could have been something external - or just a dodgy Phantom - hope you get to the bottom of it. Does nothing for one's confidence!

packetlos said:
S1 & S2 were in the up position, S1 is definitely set to Failsafe.....

Can I ask a side question please? I have devoured the manual that came with my vision2+ 2 weeks ago, and I keep hearing about s1/s2 changing to failsafe, atti, etc.... yet I see nothing in the manuals about this - just to keep them both always up. also seems they have no meaning unless you change from phantom to zata or something mode? Or flip 5 times top to bottom to do something unique... I loaded the assistant program and have gone thru every page but still nothing about setting s1 or s2 to different settings. A previous poster in this thread has a link to a manual that looks to be more in depth and I will dig in tonight on it! but in the meantime, is there an easy description of what atti, zta, failsafe mean? My manual did explain RTH well and it did save me once already when it got out of my sight. thank you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj