Phantom 2 Vision Shell Damaged

Reaction score
I had a bit of a crash today - landing on an indoor turf field at an angle. I damaged a propeller - which I replaced. When I was spinning the propeller - I noticed it was hitting the Shell of the Phantom. It seems the ARM is slightly bent or damaged - causing this propeller to hit the shell. I have included a picture. I went online and ordered a new shell - but it is on Pre-Order - so Im assuming it is not even for sale yet.

Do you have any thoughts on repairing this without shell replacement ? Could I heat the plastic and straighten it a little ...it seems im only off a few centimeters ... any thoughts or advice appreciated.

phantom1.jpg

Jason
Dayton,Ohio

I would recommend not to use the Phantom in this condition. That plastic is not a strong material. After several times of removing the upper shell on my Phantom, I noticed that the seats for the screws are cracking (the same seats are used to hold the motors).
I had to use small aluminum washers and epoxy to be able to fasten the shell back. I never used a thread lock on the screw and I don't think I over tightened either. I would recommend to remove the motors and check the seats if they are not damaged (you will see how weak those seats are). I heard from some other guys that they are having the same problem and I am wondering if anybody else on this forum noticed the same thing. I am trying to make some aluminum inserts to reinforce the motors seats.

Rather sadly, this happened to me this weekend. I let my friends autistic son fly my phantom around at the park and he piloted it like a champ (he's a whiz with video games so I was not too surprised). HOWEVER, when I let his dad fly it he confused the controls and flew it into a tree and it fell to the ground right on it's sweet spot and bent the arm :( He nearly died when I told him how much the copter cost but the motor is clearly fine even the propeller (Though I will replace all the propellers anyway for upgraded ones) after reading this post I had him order me a new shell. *sigh* now it's a waiting game. Tossing around the thought of painting it when the new one comes in.

Replacing the Shell is easy and actually quite a great learning experience. You will get a chance to check on connections and the internal parts which is an added benefit.

amrflyingdude said:
Replacing the Shell is easy and actually quite a great learning experience. You will get a chance to check on connections and the internal parts which is an added benefit.

Yeah, normally I'd let my husband do it since he's mr. electronics (He's a slot machine technician) but in order to understand my phantom more and know what I will be able to pull off with upgrades and attachments I feel it's a bit necessary to do this one myself... But if I mess it up I'll just blame him for letting me do it.

VeritasDolet said:
amrflyingdude said:

Yeah, normally I'd let my husband do it since he's mr. electronics (He's a slot machine technician) but in order to understand my phantom more and know what I will be able to pull off with upgrades and attachments I feel it's a bit necessary to do this one myself... But if I mess it up I'll just blame him for letting me do it.

LOL.

Something I did and may help you is I took a picture with my phone before removing each component, that way I know how things were before.

amrflyingdude said:
VeritasDolet said:
amrflyingdude said:

LOL.

Something I did and may help you is I took a picture with my phone before removing each component, that way I know how things were before.

...I think I will take that advise. Just in case

So yesterday my new shell got in. We did the brain transplant and everything seems to be in perfect order. Glad I found this thread :)

Same here - I ordered a Shell ....and did the transplant. Wasn't too bad ....I do recommend you take pictures every step of the way just to jog your memory when rebuilding.

Jason

Yes, taking photos is 100% recommended. Not to mention keeping track of all the screws and such but at least now you have extras just in case.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik